What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It is well balanced and you might not mind the weight or notice it as much as you think. I even think the weight is a factor in the efficiency - more momentum behind the blade edge. But you do need to be conscious about using a light touch and not adding pressure - especially if you are used to something like a Vector head.

I remember my first shave with the Sailor, and at the time I was favouring lightweight, slim razors like the H&S P076 Ti or the SS Vector. I used too much pressure, held it too tight because it was heavier than my other razors, and I had the Sailor on setting 4 the whole shave - altogether it was too much. Second shave, though, with the same Kai blade, I took care to use a light touch and hold the razor more lightly in my fingertips, low on the handle, and I dialled down to 3 for the second pass and 2 for the third. It was the best shave I had ever had, and still memorable as one of my most perfect, longest lasting and comfortable shaves. I still always use 4 for the first pass because I love to get a really close cut with the grain - it seems to make the rest of the shave easier.

I think with the Sailor it doesn’t feel unwieldy at all, and you can just trust that the momentum of the head will do the work for you. I think that’s the way to use it. Imagine you are driving a Rolls Royce - it’s heavy but you’re relaxed and everything is calm and easy, you’re steering with your fingertips, though it has masses of power.

I shave steep with it, by the way, and that works for me. Like with a Wolfman WR2. That probably also makes the razor feel less weighty since you are not lifting the handle, you just let the razor hang naturally. And it probably makes it easier to not press the razor onto your skin than if you were shaving neutral or shallow. For that reason I always shave steep with high gap razors.
Appreciate your comments and advice. Like you, I also shave steep unless the razor geometry prevents that approach.

The Sailor promises to be a very interesting experience.

⚓with Voskhod (2)

Ran on IV ATG + XTG , II ATG - all steep

Fantastic comfort and efficiency 💯 😎

B5C00F04-9053-42ED-A0DD-99AC1784375D.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
🙏 Merry Christmas 🙏
20221225_092550~2.jpg

Razor: Rocnel Sailor
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Canada
Aftershave: Stetson Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Stetson Cologne Splash

Superb shave! :cool:
20221225_092741~2.jpg

The link below takes you to my Journal which has full notes for this shave plus comments, rankings and other random stuff:

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12062226

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1672064306742.png

🙏 Merry Christmas 🙏

Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Lather: Canada
Aftershave: Stetson Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Stetson Cologne Splash

Superb shave! :cool:

The link below takes you to my Journal which has full notes for this shave plus comments, rankings and other random stuff:

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12062226

I'm so glad your first Sailor shave - notes for that shave are here - went so very well, David.

It was a lot of fun to me, and very instructive, to do some shaves with the various very low and very high settings. I mean the entire shave with the Zero Dot or the entire shave with a super high setting (10 and up). Every setting can be used.

The Zero Dot can deliver a good shave. At least on my face and with my whiskers it can. It's a go to setting and razor when I want a very mild feeling yet close enough and long lasting enough shave.

Mostly I prefer to use several settings during one shave: Moderate (like maybe 2), followed by high (like maybe 4) for ATG on my neck, followed by extremely low (the Zero Dot for sure).

What a nice prize to find under the tree. I'm sure you were extremely surprised!

Merry Christmas and happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1577855

I'm so glad your first Sailor shave - notes for that shave are here - went so very well, David.

It was a lot of fun to me, and very instructive, to do some shaves with the various very low and very high settings. I mean the entire shave with the Zero Dot or the entire shave with a super high setting (10 and up). Every setting can be used.

The Zero Dot can deliver a good shave. At least on my face and with my whiskers it can. It's a go to setting and razor when I want a very mild feeling yet close enough and long lasting enough shave.

Mostly I prefer to use several settings during one shave: Moderate (like maybe 2), followed by high (like maybe 4) for ATG on my neck, followed by extremely low (the Zero Dot for sure).

What a nice prize to find under the tree. I'm sure you were extremely surprised!

Merry Christmas and happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you Jim.

I was on the fence about getting the Sailor - as you know, a heavy razor with a large head is not normally my thing - but my Bride talked me out of my indecision and we ordered it. When the box arrived, she wrapped it immediately and under the tree it went.

There is lots of experimentation to be done with the Sailor and I am looking forward to getting to know it much better over many shaves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A fine, fine shave this morning with the Sailor. Two full passes and a slight buff on the chin and neck and presto, a full on BBS finish. No irritation, no nics or cuts. Just super soft and elastic feeling skin. Used a fresh Feather blade and went from 2 to 1 on the dial, WTG & ATG. Weight is never thought of nor the bulkiness on appearance. It just becomes an extension in the hands for the means to complete ones shave & grooming exercise. Wonderful shave and shaver.

Great shaves to all…

5093B145-8E2D-4882-B25D-1AD2FE4713B3.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blade: Eddison (1)
Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 in Super
Lather: Asylum Flying Mango Shaving Soap by Saponificio Varesino
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:
20230117_131913~3.jpg

The link below takes you to my Journal which has full notes for this shave and more:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12092783

Rocnel has released pictures of the 2023 model now... the prices have gone up (standard 620 EUR, MC 950 EUR) ... the former "non rounded" shape of the top cap is back.

Quote from the Rocnel web page, description of the Master Collection:

Machined out of 316L Stainless Steel, the Sailor Series razor actually consists of 14 Separate machined parts. The machining is excellent and, the razor is built to last a lifetime.

Its design is similar to the standard sailor model. The main difference with the standard model is the manufacturing process. This model is not mass produced. Each product is made in a separate build process. Special for collectors.

The side parts of the top cap, base plate and inter plate parts were made flat. Surface textures were matched by the lapping process. It has been changed to stabilize the shaving comfort in the nose and ear area.

The second type of locking mechanism was made. The new type of locking mechanism is watered carbon steel. Developed for users who usually do not need to disassemble the handle part.

Changes have been made to the engraving located under the handle. An anchor figure is engraved on steel material instead of brass material. Later, lapping was applied to this section. The anchor figure was processed with a new generation optical laser system. Optionally, it can be fixed in a glossy round frame. It is a change that appeals to the visual.

A new design pusher spring system was used in this series.
In order for the mechanism to adapt to the changes we made in the side sections, this change was made in the spring section.

So it appears the Standard model again is the better buy if one is in the market for shelling out big money on a
⚓ ... 😉

(Credits go to @Cheekee who found the information first...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom