What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

⚓💯

6CE6678D-3170-4FC7-BB4F-39F2123A957A.jpeg

20221216_154854-01.jpeg

I loaded the Sailor with a fresh vintage Polsilver and off we went... what a beautiful shave.

This vintage blade has such an utmost balance of keeness and smoothness, it is a mere joy to use. Although the shave with the B'Bird on Thursday was a close one there was more than enough stubble today to justify a shave. I dialed down the Sailor to setting I for the wtg and I.5 for the atg pass. And boy, that provided a brilliantly smooth BBS shave.

@Sascoman was absolutely right to recommend this blade for the ⚓ ! Thanks for the idea #tippingmyhat

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Rocnel Sailor on the way. :)

Congratulations, David.

Remember this: All the settings are smooth and can be used.

Not that all are needed but for scientific experiments and to annoy Big Nurse, but it's fun to experiment. The Zero Dot reminds me a bit of the ATT CM1, and is terribly useful to me on my sensitive upper lip especially ATG S-N.

The cap has to be installed with the correct orientation.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations, David.

Remember this: All the settings are smooth and can be used.

Not that all are needed but for scientific experiments and to annoy Big Nurse, but it's fun to experiment. The Zero Dot reminds me a bit of the ATT CM1, and is terribly useful to me on my sensitive upper lip especially ATG S-N.

The cap has to be installed with the correct orientation.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you Jim. Should be a very interesting razor to get to know.

Rocnel Sailor on the way. :)
Congrats. As the ‘alpha big dog’ razor guy, the Sailor should be just your thing. I certainly hope it is all that you anticipate, and more, and I look forward to your thoughts about it.

You may need a shave or two to adjust to the weight and find your preferred settings during the shave. Setting 4 is enough for anyone, I believe, but you can go much higher to see what a ridiculous blade gap shaves like, and still live to tell the tale. It goes up to 13 before the top cap comes off.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Congrats. As the ‘alpha big dog’ razor guy, the Sailor should be just your thing. I certainly hope it is all that you anticipate, and more, and I look forward to your thoughts about it.

You may need a shave or two to adjust to the weight and find your preferred settings during the shave. Setting 4 is enough for anyone, I believe, but you can go much higher to see what a ridiculous blade gap shaves like, and still live to tell the tale. It goes up to 13 before the top cap comes off.
Thank you for your comments.

The weight and size are my biggest reservations. As you know, the nimble and maneuverable attributes are very important to me.

Only way to know for sure is to get the Sailor in and start shaving.

The weight and size are my biggest reservations. As you know, the nimble and maneuverable attributes are very important to me.

The weight is what took me longest to adjust to - once acclimated the razor is masterfully versatile. Like Wolf WR2 0.95 smooth to whatever crazy WR2 gap you can image/ want to play with.

Shaves are sublime comfort/efficiency. Ran at II and I - lovely!

ADFCD253-DF59-433E-ABD6-3E522A1CE08E.jpeg
💯 ⚓

It is well balanced and you might not mind the weight or notice it as much as you think. I even think the weight is a factor in the efficiency - more momentum behind the blade edge. But you do need to be conscious about using a light touch and not adding pressure - especially if you are used to something like a Vector head.

I remember my first shave with the Sailor, and at the time I was favouring lightweight, slim razors like the H&S P076 Ti or the SS Vector. I used too much pressure, held it too tight because it was heavier than my other razors, and I had the Sailor on setting 4 the whole shave - altogether it was too much. Second shave, though, with the same Kai blade, I took care to use a light touch and hold the razor more lightly in my fingertips, low on the handle, and I dialled down to 3 for the second pass and 2 for the third. It was the best shave I had ever had, and still memorable as one of my most perfect, longest lasting and comfortable shaves. I still always use 4 for the first pass because I love to get a really close cut with the grain - it seems to make the rest of the shave easier.

I think with the Sailor it doesn’t feel unwieldy at all, and you can just trust that the momentum of the head will do the work for you. I think that’s the way to use it. Imagine you are driving a Rolls Royce - it’s heavy but you’re relaxed and everything is calm and easy, you’re steering with your fingertips, though it has masses of power.

I shave steep with it, by the way, and that works for me. Like with a Wolfman WR2. That probably also makes the razor feel less weighty since you are not lifting the handle, you just let the razor hang naturally. And it probably makes it easier to not press the razor onto your skin than if you were shaving neutral or shallow. For that reason I always shave steep with high gap razors.

Last edited:
It is well balanced and you might not mind the weight. I even think the weight is a factor in the efficiency - more momentum behind the blade edge. But you do need to be conscious about using a light touch and not adding pressure - especially if you are used to something like a Vector head.

I remember my first shave with the Sailor, and at the time I was favouring lightweight, slim razors like the H&S P076 Ti or the SS Vector. I used too much pressure, held it too tight because it was heavier than my other razors, and I had the Sailor on setting 4 the whole shave - altogether it was too much. Second shave, though, with the same Kai blade, I took care to use a light touch and hold the razor more lightly in my fingertips, low on the handle, and I dialled down to 3 for the second pass and 2 for the third. It was the best shave I had ever had, and still memorable as one of my most perfect, longest lasting and comfortable shaves. I still always use 4 for the first pass because I love to get a really close cut with the grain - it seems to make the rest of the shave easier.

I think with the Sailor it doesn’t feel unwieldy at all, and you can just trust that the momentum of the head will do the work for you. I think that’s the way to use it. Imagine you are driving a Rolls Royce - it’s heavy but you’re relaxed and everything is calm and easy, though it has masses of power.

I shave steep with it, by the way, and that works for me. Like with a Wolfman WR2. That probably also makes the razor feel less weighty since you are not lifting the handle, you just let the razor hang naturally.

Great advice here 💯 🙌

Top Bottom