What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Anyone care to comment on Medium vs Firm hold pomades ?
Pros and cons etc

Have found that the Loreal invisigroom pomade is unexpectedly very good, it is medium hold and light consistency and I have found that due to its light consistency I can get an excellent pompadour as it does not weigh my hair down, also it is an absolute breeze to apply, now I am thinking that medium hold may be the way to go

Just a heads up for anyone in the uk, if you see Lynx clean cut definition wax it is actually a pomade, the packaging is almost identical to Axe clean cut pomade (Lynx is the uk version of Axe) and the product from the photos I have seen on the net looks the same so I think the clean cut definition wax is probably the same product as the the clean cut pomade just with a different name.

Anyway it is a nice product, not the strongest hold but fairly easy to work with and actually has a nice shine for a water based pomade
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Uppercut Deluxe is one of favourite water based pomades and has everything I love in a pomade: soft consistency (which makes it easy to apply, style and comb), Strong Hold and medium shine. Also, it has a nice, sweet caramel scent that I adore and find very barbershop-type. Uppercut Deluxe is very, very close in terms of quality and performance to Admiral Strong, which is another winner for me.

Hi @Marco

I know this post is 4+ years old, and I am enjoying a morning stroll through this thread today, but have your recommendations for water-based pomades changed much in the last 4 years? I bought a jar each of Uppercut Deluxe and Admiral Strong recently (based on posts here), to go along with the jars of Layrite and Suavecito that I had. If I had to personally rate the 4, I would go with Layrite first, followed by a tie between Uppercut and Admiral, with Suavecito last. But I like them all. I have very thick hair that grows fast, and I don't get to the barber as often as I should which means the top gets thick and long. I have a middle part but not a completely slicked back style. It seems to be a very fine line as to when I use too much and can't get the front-top to stay up. Thanks!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hi @Marco

I know this post is 4+ years old, and I am enjoying a morning stroll through this thread today, but have your recommendations for water-based pomades changed much in the last 4 years? I bought a jar each of Uppercut Deluxe and Admiral Strong recently (based on posts here), to go along with the jars of Layrite and Suavecito that I had. If I had to personally rate the 4, I would go with Layrite first, followed by a tie between Uppercut and Admiral, with Suavecito last. But I like them all. I have very thick hair that grows fast, and I don't get to the barber as often as I should which means the top gets thick and long. I have a middle part but not a completely slicked back style. It seems to be a very fine line as to when I use too much and can't get the front-top to stay up. Thanks!

My friend, when I wrote this thread I would have never imagined that it was going to be so successful! We are at +100 pages and over 2,000 replies!

My preference is for oil based pomades. But I still keep a few water based ones on my shelf for very hot days. I still own and love Suavecito Firme and Uppercut Deluxe, while Admiral and Layrite were not replaced when finished.

Another winner in my book that I want to recommend is Dapper Dan Medium Hold Medium Shine. The hold, although labelled as Medium, is actually Strong and keeps hair perfectly in place all day long. The scent is great and the packing is very beautiful, too. Pic below. :)
dapperdan.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I would love to be able to love oil-based pomades, but my hair is too fine and the oil-based products just matt it down. If I only use a smidgen, then there's not enough hold. Right now, I have blended Murray's Superior (oil) with some Suavecito (water) and have been using that for a few months, but I might add in some Tres Flores molding pomade (water) as I love the scent of it and it will thin out the Murray's even more.

My barber introduced me to this company a year and a half ago and I love their products. The sweet tobacco scent is intoxicating. Here's the pomade I use daily, works great and smells great.

proxy.php

Marco - or anybody, really - how does one use a pomade? Wet hair or dry? Anything else to know? I confess I'm a little lost with them.

Marco - or anybody, really - how does one use a pomade? Wet hair or dry? Anything else to know? I confess I'm a little lost with them.

It depends on what you are looking for and on personal taste... but I'd use it (and use it) on a slightly wet hair, maybe on the "more water than less water" zone!

Take a dollop of pomade (you'll see how much you need after a few tries... start with a thumb siz one..), rub it between your palms and just apply it... then style your hair as desired. Practice makes perfect! Good luck!

Thanks. I guess I'll give it a shot. Last time I did, I think I tried too much on dry hair and it felt like my hair was being pulled really too tight, like with turnbuckles! LOL!

Just a heads up for anyone in the uk, if you see Lynx clean cut definition wax it is actually a pomade, the packaging is almost identical to Axe clean cut pomade (Lynx is the uk version of Axe) and the product from the photos I have seen on the net looks the same so I think the clean cut definition wax is probably the same product as the the clean cut pomade just with a different name.

Anyway it is a nice product, not the strongest hold but fairly easy to work with and actually has a nice shine for a water based pomade
proxy.php

proxy.php

So I bought some of this stuff today. I figured for $5 it could be nice or I could throw it away, not too much risk involved.

I've just now opened it and tried it on my wet hair. I guess we'll see what it's like when it dries in a little while.

Comments welcome...

Hi , have just recently picked up a jar of Yardley's English Lavender Brilliantine, I know it is labelled as a Brilliantine but the description on the back of the jar describes it as a pomade and the ingredients list reads more like a pomade than anything else. Anyhow, I have used it today for the first time, the scent is amazing, gorgeous, I was tempted to forgo my cologne, it just smells that good, shine is good as expected, hold is light but as someone that uses hair creams a lot is more than useable for me and the application is super easy, I have been using pomades a lot less recently as I find most of them a bit too tuggy for my liking, no such issue with this, just goes straight in , no resistance at all, what will make or break this for me is whether or not it washes out when I wash my hair tonight, if it does then consider me sold.

Yardley's Brilliantine is some good stuff. It's pretty much the same ingredients as Dax Short & Neat, which sells for considerably less at around $5 per tin. If money is no object, then Yardley's is the way to go based on the scent. Performance-wise, you get the same look with Dax Short & Neat.

Yardley's Brilliantine ingredients:

• Vaseline.
  • Mineral oil
  • Paraffin.
  • Parfum.
  • Linalool.
  • Octocrylene.
  • Limonene.
  • Coumarin.

Dax Short & Neat ingredients:

• Petrolatum, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Oil, Castor (Ricinu Communis) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum).

Yardley's Brilliantine is some good stuff. It's pretty much the same ingredients as Dax Short & Neat, which sells for considerably less at around $5 per tin. If money is no object, then Yardley's is the way to go based on the scent. Performance-wise, you get the same look with Dax Short & Neat.

Yardley's Brilliantine ingredients:

• Vaseline.
  • Mineral oil
  • Paraffin.
  • Parfum.
  • Linalool.
  • Octocrylene.
  • Limonene.
  • Coumarin.

Dax Short & Neat ingredients:

• Petrolatum, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Oil, Castor (Ricinu Communis) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum).

Thanks , does the Dax wash out as easily as the Yardley's?

Yeah, Dax Short & Neat pomade washes out just as easy as Yardley's. It's the same ingredients, so it's super easy. To remove all the pomade each time you shower, use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner before you shower. Apply the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle to your hair like you would if you were showering. I sometimes wait a few minutes before I shower with a round of shampoo and conditioner, but it doesn't seem to matter. The Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner does the trick. It removes the pomade. Yardley's and Dax are pomades that wash out easily without me needing to use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. I imagine Yardley's is less expensive in the UK than it is in the U.S where I live. If not, then Dax is the way to go to save money. That stuff is shiny. The scent is nice too.

And just an update, still loving the Yardley's English Lavender Brilliantine, most pomades for me lack in one or more areas, either they are too thick and tuggy or they have no hold at all or they just won't wash out or they make my hair dry and crunchy, the Yardley's works well for me, has some intense shine, goes in super easy,smells amazing, has an acceptable amount of hold and washed out easy, also picked up a tub of Blue magic pomade (pressing oil), only used it once so not decided on it yet but it also goes in easy and washed out easy so first impressions are good.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right! Just came home with a can of Murray's Lite. Thanks, Marco and all, for this wealth of info!

Hair is just dry as dust and doesn't stay in place ... And who doesn't love trying a classic product for the first time?

AA

I favorite is suavecito pomade original hold, I like so much I bought the large tube should last me a well

Attachments

• 2c7c0c54fe46cec8dbb6ba208a2eeed9.jpg
    2c7c0c54fe46cec8dbb6ba208a2eeed9.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom