What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

It is a pomade that a lot of people use for waves, which is a hairstyle popular with blacks in America, but I have heard that it works well with straight or wavy hair. From what I recall, it is a gel pomade that is water soluble with a good shine to it.

I must have misunderstood how much it said to use. I tried it and WOW was it ever thick! I felt like somebody had tightened my hair with a winch.

Just got into a jar of Daimon Barber. My new favorite by quite a bit. Have some Suavecito and it holds good but the smell is awful and so strong.

Personally I'm obsessed with traditional oil based pomades and that's usually what I stick with. That being said, it's hard to go wrong with the unorthodox water based stuff homebrewers like O'Doud's and Shear Revival are putting out, stuff is world class. Even in terms of orthodox water based pomades you have the excellent Cool Grease line from Japan and its crown jewel, Fiber Grease.

My current go-to is Reuzel Green. If I'm not using that I'm probably cocktailing Dax Wave and Groom with Short and Neat or the full on greaser special - Murray's Superior with Royal Crown Hairdressing on top. It's a good time to be a pomade user.

JRob, indeed. I am more than happy to see a sensible return to quality products that work predictably. The over priced glop at salons is a joke.

Have just found this thread and getting into pomades at the moment, I am looking for something water based, would prefer to avoid the gelled look if possible so low-ish shine, also strong hold.
Am currently looking into Admiral strong hold, Uppercut Deluxe and Reuzel Red

Thought I would add my two pence on 2 uk available water based pomades - at the moment I haven't tried many to be able to compare against so my opinions may change over time. The below is based on using these pomades to achieve a pompadour

Johnny's Chopshop sheen pomade -
Shine - Not sure how to rate this in terms of shine as I don't have that much to compare against so will keep it brief , there was some shine, obviously not as much as oil based pomades.
Hold - I would classify this pomade as a medium hold, it is strong enough to keep your hair in place but if you use on a windy day then you may want to keep a comb in your pocket to restyle, the upside of this is that your hair is still flexible and restyle-able as this does not dry to a crispy finish
Application - this is a water based pomade but it feels reassuringly waxy, this waxy quality means that if you sport a pompadour it is relatively easy to get a good pomp going, this may be less desirable if you are going for a more subtle look.
Overall - Not a bad pomade and readily available

Fish Dapperfish Pomade -
Shine - This states low shine on the tub and it is true to its word in this respect, very little shine going on
Hold - This is where this is a bit of an odd one, the consistency of this is much more liquid than the Johnnys Chopshop pomade, this does not have the same slightly waxy feel and so initially it is difficult to get the hair to stand upright, due to this I found I had to use more of this which meant that the drying time was longer, by the time I got to work I found that my pompadour had sunken on one side but my hair had also gone crispy, not good.
Application - As above this was not fun to work with
Overall - Would not recommend, too watery to provide the lift necessary of a pomade and dries crispy

proxy.php

proxy.php

I now have a tub of Reuzel blue, its good stuff but I find it a bit on the tuggy side and have to be careful applying it for this reason,is this typical of water based pomades?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I now have a tub of Reuzel blue, its good stuff but I find it a bit on the tuggy side and have to be careful applying it for this reason,is this typical of water based pomades?
I liked the Blue, but after a few months, it started to go hard and dry out in the tin. being water-based, i just added some water to it and it was good to go again.

Are you applying to totally dry hair? Try having your hair slightly damp (i.e. towel-dry but not bone dry) and see if that helps.

I liked the Blue, but after a few months, it started to go hard and dry out in the tin. being water-based, i just added some water to it and it was good to go again.

Are you applying to totally dry hair? Try having your hair slightly damp (i.e. towel-dry but not bone dry) and see if that helps.

Thanks, I will give that a try

Ok am trying out Sweet georgia brown red pomade, the water based pomades wash out very easy but the price you seem to pay for that is that they are kind of grabby, so far i like it but the test of whether i will use it again will be if i am able to wash it out, i have some buildup remover shampoo on order so fingers crossed that it does the trick.

Have just found this thread and getting into pomades at the moment, I am looking for something water based, would prefer to avoid the gelled look if possible so low-ish shine, also strong hold.
Am currently looking into Admiral strong hold, Uppercut Deluxe and Reuzel Red
Have you ever looked into unorthodox water based pomades? Basically water based pomades that feel and act like oil based ones without the greasiness and wash out with one round of shampoo, so they definitey do not give a jelly shine and are restylable as an OB is. Black Ship by Flagship Co. sounds like what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have you ever looked into unorthodox water based pomades? Basically water based pomades that feel and act like oil based ones without the greasiness and wash out with one round of shampoo, so they definitey do not give a jelly shine and are restylable as an OB is. Black Ship by Flagship Co. sounds like what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look into that

Quite pleased with my haul, found these in my local Superdrug of all places, was beyond excited to find the Clubman stuff. Clubman firm hold pomade, Loreal Invisi groom Pomade, Clubman shaving soap, please excuse the horrendous image quality of my phones camera
Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom