What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Just wanted to ask as ive started getting into the slicked back hairstyles...what is a decent pomade...i need something thats strong ...scent is secondary to me

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just wanted to ask as ive started getting into the slicked back hairstyles...what is a decent pomade...i need something thats strong ...scent is secondary to me
I only go for water base but the strongest ive used of that variety is fiber grease. (Mfg by fine cosmetics)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hi folks. I’m going to give tenax matte pomade a try. I’ll report back after I recut and check it out. The site I’m looking at has Pisistratus reviews all in Italian.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Anyone experience water based pomades drying out in the can? I’ve experienced that now across several brands. Is there anyway to prevent this or add water to reconstruct?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hi folks. I’m going to give tenax matte pomade a try. I’ll report back after I recut and check it out. The site I’m looking at has Pisistratus reviews all in Italian.
Seems like this thread is dead. But I’ll humor myself. I received abs used tenax several times. I’ll give it high marks. Nice hold. Very nice non shine finish. It looks better later too after wear and tear through the day. Nice scent not strong at all. I thought it would be a Proraso scent but no. The biggest negative for me is the consistency in the can. It’s sort of a hard jelly. Difficult to dig out not soft and creamy. I have to dig it and rub it in my hands before use. Not sure if this is by design or age. But it’s not dried out.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Seems like this thread is dead. But I’ll humor myself. I received abs used tenax several times. I’ll give it high marks. Nice hold. Very nice non shine finish. It looks better later too after wear and tear through the day. Nice scent not strong at all. I thought it would be a Proraso scent but no. The biggest negative for me is the consistency in the can. It’s sort of a hard jelly. Difficult to dig out not soft and creamy. I have to dig it and rub it in my hands before use. Not sure if this is by design or age. But it’s not dried out.

Sir, it's by design. Tenax has a very good reputation here in Italy and it is used in many traditional barbershops.

strop

Now half as wise
Anyone experience water based pomades drying out in the can? I’ve experienced that now across several brands. Is there anyway to prevent this or add water to reconstruct?

I've used several water based pomades over the years and never experienced that, though I only have one or two going at a time, but even then they may last 6 months or more.

I guess nobody has written on this thread in quite a while so here goes:
I turned to water based Pomade about 1 year ago (from gel) and have been exclusively using Suavecito.
I tried a bunch and this one has the best consistency and performance in general. And it
doesn't flake at all! A close second was "Tres Flores" but Suavecito beats it. At least for me!

Suavecito.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I turned to water based Pomade about 1 year ago (from gel) and have been exclusively using Suavecito.
I tried a bunch and this one has the best consistency and performance in general. And it
doesn't flake at all! A close second was "Tres Flores" but Suavecito beats it. At least for me!

View attachment 1437909
I like suavecito too. I think after trying many brands I tend to favor the clear types over white. Suavecito has several options and I don’t care for the white base. I like the regular scent too. Today I used cool grease after months in the closet. (The counterpart fiber type has dried out quite a bit making it hard to use) Happy to discover cool grease wasn’t dried out. Imperial barber makes great stuff my top favorite I’ve got the classic pomade. The imperial Matt pomade (the one exception to the white base rule) is also a top performer and hasn’t shown any signs of drying out after a few years.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, please allow me to mention another SUPERB brand that I love: Morgan's. It's a pure UK marvel and a genuine water based pomade from the British Master Barbers.

20220411_131815.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks for another great recommendation @Marco
I have the Morgan’s red label pomade. It is pretty fantastic. I’ll use it tomorrow! The scent is very nice too.
Yes Sir, it's an all round winner for me! I've started using it since my barbershop chose it. Hold is great and the scent alone is a strong, cologne-like fragrance that I simply find to be exquisite... :001_wub:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

View attachment 1437909
That's what I ended up with It works very well for me.

Gentlemen, please allow me to mention another SUPERB brand that I love: Morgan's. It's a pure UK marvel and a genuine water based pomade from the British Master Barbers.

I had never heard of Morgan's and because of your recommendation, I just looked it up. The US division happens to be located in Miami which is a couple of hours from me. They have a US based online store and I'll be trying them out. The pomade is only $8 so it seems like a cheap no brainer experiment for me.
They also have a bunch of other products that are very reasonably priced and a 15% off coupon for the first purchase. I'll probably try out some other stuff as well. Thanks Marco!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes Sir, it's an all round winner for me! I've started using it since my barbershop chose it. Hold is great and the scent alone is a strong, cologne-like fragrance that I simply find to be exquisite... :001_wub:
Exquisite indeed. In fact I feel like a member of the royal family when I apply it and take in the scent. I’d say sophisticated!

I have returned and thrown away more hair product than anyone on here 😊 but these are my keepers in no order except for #1 which I feel is the best in terms of performance and ingredient quality and safety.

1 - Highland Glacial Clay
2 - First Hand Supply, all three formulas.
3 - Layrite Blue
4 - Moroccanoil Clay
5 - Aveda Clay

Being in Manhattan I have access to basically every brand made but the above 5 are IMO best in class for any occasion or application.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have returned and thrown away more hair product than anyone on here 😊 but these are my keepers in no order except for #1 which I feel is the best in terms of performance and ingredient quality and safety.

1 - Highland Glacial Clay
2 - First Hand Supply, all three formulas.
3 - Layrite Blue
4 - Moroccanoil Clay
5 - Aveda Clay

Being in Manhattan I have access to basically every brand made but the above 5 are IMO best in class for any occasion or application.
Thanks for reviving this thread.
I just ordered #3 on your list. A brand I’ve never tried.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
These are my current hair products. I love the smell of the Tres Flores but find it a bit thick. I have used the Tres Flores liquid brilliantine but it is hard to find here in UK. I prefer the performance of the Cussons brilliantine, the scent is subtle, and the oils seem a very nice quality. Vintage is the way to go for me.

20230302_105144~2.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, I have recently rediscivered a TERRIFIC Italian barbershop classic that features a superb high gloss finish with a magnificent, nostalgic lavender scent. Top quality since 1946. :euro:

Brillantina Linetti

3403418434_64f61c0272_b.jpg

Top Bottom