What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

I am finding out that Iron Society is not as user friendly on the second day as I had hoped. Some more research probably would have told me that. In retrospect, probably not the best OB pomade for a newbie to try on his first outing.

I'm not entirely displeased, but I do feel that the buildup on the second day was a little too waxy for my taste. Styling is not as easy as it was on the first day, or as it was with the WB pomades I had tried previously.

So now I am trying to decide on the second OB pomade to try. Goon Grease and Royal Crown are the two I have on hand, but I have more on the way, including Murray's, Shear Revival Easy Tiger, and others.

Any thoughts? Bearing in mind that my experience with OB pomades is very limited?

I should mention that my hair is thick, curly/wavy and generally pretty dry.

TIA
Sweet Georgia Brown Blue could work pretty well for you. The Blue and Red have my recommendation.

First day with Pomps Not Dead OG is going well, this is just about exactly what I want from a pomade. the scent is great, the hold is at a medium, which is just about perfect for me. There's not a lot of shine, but there's some.

The only downside is that there's a slight darkening of my silver hair, it looks a little bit like I added a touch of brown coloring. I'll see how big a deal this turns out to be with buildup.

So far, it's looking good.

First day with Pomps Not Dead OG is going well, this is just about exactly what I want from a pomade. the scent is great, the hold is at a medium, which is just about perfect for me. There's not a lot of shine, but there's some.

The only downside is that there's a slight darkening of my silver hair, it looks a little bit like I added a touch of brown coloring. I'll see how big a deal this turns out to be with buildup.

So far, it's looking good.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new pomades!

My son likes Suavecito but I can't stand the smell. Is there a recommendation for a product that works similarly but is better or more naturally scented, please?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My son likes Suavecito but I can't stand the smell. Is there a recommendation for a product that works similarly but is better or more naturally scented, please?

I do suggest Uppercut Deluxe, Reuzel Red and Dapper Dan Medium Hold. Dapper Dan, although labelled Medium, performs like a Strong Hold pomade to me and also behaves similarly to Suavecito.

Be careful of the Reuzel products, they have very strong over powering smells.

The pink has an overpowering candy/bubblegum scent. I have kept the container open for over two months, and it is still there. Some one posted that the green "apple scent" is also strong and lasting.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have the Reuzel Blue and Green. Both are what i would describe as "long lasting" but luckily, I like them both.

There are more pomades on the market now than ever before. Even Vitalis is cool again. They still sell that awful smelling Vaseline Hair Tonic too. No doubt they are enjoying a renaissance. My favorite goop was Tenax followed by British Brylcreem that comes in the tub. Tenax had been resurrected by the
Proraso folks but it's not the green French goop from the 80's. I still have a NOS tube of it still. Years ago you saw Dax or Murrays. Maybe Three Flowers next to their brilliantine. Not sure which was the fave of Elvis. I thought he used bearing grease or Crisco when I was a kid.

Last edited:
A while back, one of our sons accidentally left a can in our Hall bathroom. It says "Soft Sheen Sportin' Waves" on it, and also "Gel Pomade with Wavitrol III®".

Anybody know what this stuff is? I've been tempted to ty it, but always chicken out because I don't know anything about it.

Last edited:
A while back, one of our sons accidentally left a can in our Hall bathroom. It says "Soft Sheen Sportin' Waves" on it, and also "Gel Pomade with Wavitrol III®".

Anybody know what this stuff is? I've been tempted to ty it, but always chicken out because I don't know anything about it.
It is a pomade that a lot of people use for waves, which is a hairstyle popular with blacks in America, but I have heard that it works well with straight or wavy hair. From what I recall, it is a gel pomade that is water soluble with a good shine to it.

Top Bottom