What's new

The Private Reserve Ink Thread.

Private Reserve Ink users, this thread's for you!
What colours do you like?
Any suggestions for inks to try?
Questions, comments, qualms and concerns are welcome too.
Post samples if you like.

Let's talk about Private Reserve Ink.

To kick off the party, I currently use American Blue.
It's become my number one, go to ink.

Only use 1 and thats Chocolat....good enough to eat, never run out I have to have a full bottle in reserve

I've only tried their Burgundy Mist. It's a great grey/mauve color. I've got a sample of DCSS Blue. It may just be my first ink in an incoming stub nibbed Esterbrook I'm planning to use as a signature pen...

I have an almost full bottle of american blue that I'm thinking about PIFing, don't get me wrong now I like the color but I'm just not a blue ink kinda guy.

I have a bottle of DC Supershow Blue (it's my go to work blue, because I have to use blue at work).

If anyone wants a sample let me know...I can do 2-5ml samples...maybe 3-4 samples worth.

I have some other non-PR on the way, but at the price Private Reserve is good stuff at a good price.

i have a couple of Private Reserve inks.

Velvet Black, 50 ml bottle, it's so low that it's hard to fill my main pens from.

Purple Mojo, I picked this up for my wife. She loves purple.

DC Electric Blue

Private Reserve doesn't gunk up your pens? And do you have issues with drying time?

I love their color selection (especially Electric DC Blue and Copper Burst) but the ink can't dry properly on Clairfontaine 90g paper, or G. Lalo for that matter, and if I leave a pen for 2-3 days, it's gunked up inside.

Private Reserve doesn't gunk up your pens? And do you have issues with drying time?

I love their color selection (especially Electric DC Blue and Copper Burst) but the ink can't dry properly on Clairfontaine 90g paper, or G. Lalo for that matter, and if I leave a pen for 2-3 days, it's gunked up inside.

That hasn't been an issue for me, but I haven't used but one or two of their inks. I also use American Blue, although my sentimental favorite is Watermans' Florida Blue, and I use that more more than anything else.

I haven't had any issues with it gunking up my pens.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Just tried the midnight blues fast dry in a flex nib. I know I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm smudging it all over the place.

This color strikes me as pretty bland.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I use PR 2004 DC Super Show and American Blue. Unfortunately, I soured a bit on the American when it stained the barrel of a pristine vintage celluloid pen I put it in. And Kevan's right, it does gunk up the nib/feed workings occasionally (I used to do repairs); it's not the lowest maintenance ink in town.

I just use PR in black Esterbrooks and Chinese knock-offs now.

Just tried the midnight blues fast dry in a flex nib. I know I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm smudging it all over the place.

This color strikes me as pretty bland.
You're not doing anything wrong. It's one of the worst inks I've used in terms of smudges (and if even their fast dry ink has that problem as you say, that doesn't bode well). It's such a shame, since the ink is cheap and the colors are vibrant and varied. It doesn't smudge on legal pads, but on 80g-90g paper like Rhodia or Clairefontaine it's a huge pain.

I use my PR in Wing Sungs since they're such dry writers to cut down on the drying/smudging issues.

Interesting comments. I used PR in my Cross pens for a long time without any issue.
I still do actually. I haven't put it in my 51 yet.
I've never had an issue on a legal pad with it at all.

I got a bottle of Sherwood Green in a small buy of cheaper pens (Wing Sings, Regals and other "Lucky" type pens). I'm not a fan of green, but its a fun color to write with.

I got a bottle of Sherwood Green in a small buy of cheaper pens (Wing Sings, Regals and other "Lucky" type pens). I'm not a fan of green, but its a fun color to write with.

I like the PR Sherwood Green as a matter of fact it is in my Diamond 530 "write" now!!!

Tom

Top Bottom