What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Well if I had one of these, I would lose so much time in the bathroom, with the lights out, shaving like a Jedi !!

That's hilarious! I really hope y'all can figure out a battery that will work. That would be interesting to see.

What do you think they were going for with the light bulb? Was it just a marketing gimmick? Was it for shaving in the dark? Or was it supposed to help you see the face area better for a closer shave?

Hi,

Sounds like it takes an A battery. Yes, there are A as well as AA and AAA cells. There are hundreds of Lettered single cells out there. Somewhere, I have a reference book from Union Carbide which lists them all....

Stan

Edit: If I had one of these razors I could measure and figure out which cell it takes, and even source it.

It's not an A. AA are slimmer and they don't fit. It seems that a AAA would fit though.

It's right at 65mm from the base of the bulb to the bottom wire ring if that helps..width about like a AAA..if any of that helps source one

Yep, that's what I get. How do you like yours? Have you shaved with it?

It's not an A. AA are slimmer and they don't fit. It seems that a AAA would fit though.

Yep, that's what I get. How do you like yours? Have you shaved with it?

Not yet...You?/ I will soon as I get to it, shaving with the Stealth and waiting for ATT, but soon I hope..looks like it'll be a fine shave though..

Hi,

Right. I don't know what I was thinking yesterday. An A cell is fatter than a AA.

So, the AA at 14.2mm too large a diameter. The AAA at 10.5mm about right. Length at about 65mm. That would come out to a LL-AAA which is no longer made as a disposable battery. Used to be a carbon zinc size. Many of the once-standard carbon zinc sizes did not survive the conversion to alkaline. :(

That leaves us with a 4/3 AAA at 67 mm or a 5/4 AAA at 66.5mm in the NiCd or NiMH rechargeables. Can be sourced from several online battery sites, or thru Batteries Plus.

Yes, you read that right. Four-thirds and five-fourths. The cells are referenced back to the original, in this case AAA, and being longer are so labeled.

Now, the problem will be modifying one slot in a AAA recharger to fit the longer cell.

If anyone wants a reference, here is a cool list:

Http://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm

Powerstream being a source of rechargeable cells.

Stan

In addition to Royal Crown, Rexall Drug Stores sold this razor under the Klenzo brand. Mine is fairly aggressive. This picture is from the interwebs.
proxy.php

Very interesting! Thanks!

Also, "Klenzo" is an awesome name :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi,

Right. I don't know what I was thinking yesterday. An A cell is fatter than a AA.

So, the AA at 14.2mm too large a diameter. The AAA at 10.5mm about right. Length at about 65mm. That would come out to a LL-AAA which is no longer made as a disposable battery. Used to be a carbon zinc size. Many of the once-standard carbon zinc sizes did not survive the conversion to alkaline. :(

That leaves us with a 4/3 AAA at 67 mm or a 5/4 AAA at 66.5mm in the NiCd or NiMH rechargeables. Can be sourced from several online battery sites, or thru Batteries Plus.

Yes, you read that right. Four-thirds and five-fourths. The cells are referenced back to the original, in this case AAA, and being longer are so labeled.

Now, the problem will be modifying one slot in a AAA recharger to fit the longer cell.

If anyone wants a reference, here is a cool list:

Http://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm

Powerstream being a source of rechargeable cells.

Stan

The ones that would seem to fit are:
4/3 aaa, 5/3 aaa, ll aaa, 3/2 aaa, and 6/4 aaa at 67mm. and 7/5 aaa at 66.5mm. I haven't been able to find them in amounts less than 100 pieces shipped from China.

$00101_9BryBeudTLc_600x450.jpg
Saw this on craigslist. Thought it would make a good contribution to the thread. Is it really worth the $355 asking price? Here is what the ad says:

"This Historical Piece of Wet Shaving History was manufactured by the C.V. Heljestrand Manufacturing Company of Eskilstuna Sweden. It was manufactured Many Years ago~Probably during the time era when Straight Razor manufacturers were competing with the Newly released Safety Razors~After thorough research, I was unable to find any information on manufacturing dates~
I did find that C.V. Heljestrand manufactured razors from the Early 1800s~Any information is welcomed & will be added to this listing. Either Way......It has definitely stood the test of time well~

This C.V. Heljestrand Razor has been previously owned & used~with Only the Very Faintest Signs of Age or Use~

The Absolute only imperfections even worthy of mention is some sign of use on the blades~probably from stropping. Leather strop included.":

View attachment 526014
Saw this on craigslist. Thought it would make a good contribution to the thread. Is it really worth the $355 asking price? Here is what the ad says:

"This Historical Piece of Wet Shaving History was manufactured by the C.V. Heljestrand Manufacturing Company of Eskilstuna Sweden. It was manufactured Many Years ago~Probably during the time era when Straight Razor manufacturers were competing with the Newly released Safety Razors~After thorough research, I was unable to find any information on manufacturing dates~
I did find that C.V. Heljestrand manufactured razors from the Early 1800s~Any information is welcomed & will be added to this listing. Either Way......It has definitely stood the test of time well~

This C.V. Heljestrand Razor has been previously owned & used~with Only the Very Faintest Signs of Age or Use~

The Absolute only imperfections even worthy of mention is some sign of use on the blades~probably from stropping. Leather strop included.":

Not sure what "thorough research" he did, but try searching "Heljestrand" on google image search.

Hi, as per site rules, valuations / appraisals are not allowed.

If you think the razor is worth that much, it is worth that much. However, you can try researching on the internet for similar auctions / deals etc.

My apologies. I wasn't researching one of these to purchase. I was posting it because it is vintage non-gillette. I was only wondering if they actually sell for that price because it's been sitting on craigslist for over a month with no takers.

The lighted slant:
$PA271015.jpg$PA271017.jpg$PA271018.jpg$PA271020.jpg

I used a AAA battery and a screw to get it to light. It didn't put out a lot of light unfortunately. I wonder if the original battery had more current (capacity?) and would give off a brighter light. In my well light bathroom, it didn't make a difference at all. However, with the lights out and completely dark, it actually gives off enough light that I think it would be possible to shave with. It's not light saber quality, it doesn't light up your whole face, just the area next to where the razor is.

I think one of these may have already been posted but here is a fine example of a Wardonia bakelite razor from Sheffield England. I have not shaved with this yet but that gap between the head and base make this thing look pretty aggresive.

It is a huge gap but with a modern DE, it is remarkably smooth and not at all aggressive, although certainly not mild.

I have yet to try a Wardonia. What is the shave like? It appears to have a good curve in the blade.

Good ... using modern DE blades.

The Wardonia does not take a standard blade. I am going to try and modify a blade when I get home and see how it shaves.

Just a simple bend on four tabs and any modern DE blade is good to go ...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The bakelite case is from the Swan set - a grooming kit with bakelite silos, hairbrush and what-not.

Let's hear it for the oft ignored Wardonia!

I used a AAA battery and a screw to get it to light. It didn't put out a lot of light unfortunately.
Hey, it's a start! :thumbup:
Make sure that screw does not make electrical contact to the spiraled wire, and you also might check if the voltage engraved on the bulb is somewhere in the 1.5 to 2.0 Volt range (it might be a incorrect replacement), or maybe the original battery was 3.0 Volt (2 x 1.5).

Top Bottom