What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Presenting my November restraint breaker -

View attachment 525196

It arrived yesterday, and I tried to clean it up before sleeping last night. It didn't clean up that well - means it didn't get any shinier, but the treatment must have definitely helped in sanitizing. Here are the cleaned up pics taken with my phone -

$IMG_20141201_231312.jpg

View attachment 525200

$IMG_20141201_231412.jpg

The design is quite similar to a Single ring, but look at the very curious head geometry. In fact this was one thing influencing my decision to buy it. Price, of course, was the other. As you can see, the blade sits in the head without any flex whatsoever, and is really sticking out straight perpendicular to the handle. There is a very slight curve in the base plate which is also evident from the gap you see at the ends, and see the unevenness of the corner teeth. Fortunately, none of these affect the shave adversely.

I couldn't resist giving it a spin and shaved with it today. As expected, this is one aggressive tool. I had about 33-34 hours of growth, and the razor was singing loudly during the first pass. I think this is by far the loudest razor in my arsenal (can't say about the R41 I have received last week since I'm yet to use it), and believe me, I have a few singers.

Gave me a nice 2 pass DFS+ with a little bit of touching up in the usual trouble areas. It is about 6 hours now, and my face still feels way smoother than the times when I shave with my less mild razors.

Here is an interesting 4 piece French razor:

View attachment 525139
I think the brand is Razzia.

View attachment 525140

The handle and base plate are made of aluminum.

View attachment 525141

pour le montage de votre rasoir, procedez dans l'ordre numerique en prenant soin d'oienter les pattes ressort de la plaquette ver le peigne.

"For assembling your razor, complete in the numerical order, taking care to orient the legs of the spring to the comb plate. "

There is a clip that holds the blade to the cap so that you can adjust the blade gap.

View attachment 525142

it's an interesting take on an adjustable razor.

View attachment 525145

What a clever idea, like a self-adjusting shim.

Recently picked up this unmarked DE. It has a brass cap and some sort of cast bottom plate. The handle appears to be plated steel.

$15740266970_5b5e009dc6_k_d.jpg$15925592261_e5fbd3e918_k_d.jpg$15740266770_74fa1874d2_k_d.jpg$15741534799_be9842fdb7_k_d.jpg

That's a nice one. I was actually watching that listing for a while. Looks in very good condition. Did you shave with it?

Not yet. I just got it. I feel like I would need to shave with it for a week to dial it in. I have too many other razors in line first.

Here's a weird one: 1940's lighted slant razor. I think the letters are h p w. I don' know what it stands though.

$PA221015.jpg

$PA221017.jpg

$PA221019.jpg

I just picked one up recently, it looks like a Royal Crown razor with a Barbasol style head. The handle on my RC is just slightly different.

Yep, the Royal Crown, AKA the poor man's Barbasol. Mine's loaded up and ready to go for tomorrow morning. More here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/423646-Royal-Crown-DE-The-poor-man-s-Barbasol,

Ah, thanks for the information, guys! I was mostly surprised by the steel handle, which seems to give it some fair heft. Haven't weighed it yet, though.

Very cool. I have seen (probably somewhere here on this forum) old advertisings and patent drawings of lighted DE razors, and also some other photo of a another model of lighted razor. Yours is in a very good shape, congrats. Maybe you can make it work with an AAA battery and a spacer (a short screw, nut, washers or a piece of a brass tube, whatever. Then you can shave in the dark. :001_rolle :wink2:

I had a cigarette lighter looked like a Colt 45, used a battery like you
described you can find them search for batteries it's an odd-ball.
the thing is you prolly never would use it anyway so what's the
point? thanks, douglas

Hi,

Sounds like it takes an A battery. Yes, there are A as well as AA and AAA cells. There are hundreds of Lettered single cells out there. Somewhere, I have a reference book from Union Carbide which lists them all....

Stan

Edit: If I had one of these razors I could measure and figure out which cell it takes, and even source it.

Hi,

Sounds like it takes an A battery. Yes, there are A as well as AA and AAA cells. There are hundreds of Lettered single cells out there. Somewhere, I have a reference book from Union Carbide which lists them all....

Stan

Edit: If I had one of these razors I could measure and figure out which cell it takes, and even source it.

It's right at 65mm from the base of the bulb to the bottom wire ring if that helps..width about like a AAA..if any of that helps source one

Top Bottom