What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2019

Got some sweet vintage 4001 inks. Only $1.25 back when in the West Germany days.

Three unopened bottles (large) and the one green is missing a couple of pen fill-ups.
full
Very cool. I never even thought to look for or pick up vintage inks like that.

Got a twin pack on very small moleskines coming. The volants small, for work ext numbers and codes plus any other little bits of info.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Unused original matte gray View attachment 942098 Cross Century (c. 1982), found on Ebay for around $11. Gold plated medium nib.
Looks like mine from around 87 or 88. I put it aside for years, because it seemed to be scratchy. When I found the Nib, I inked it up with Pelikan 4001 black- same thing. I put it aside again. Then one day I loaded it up with Lamy Black- it was like a whole different pen. (Maybe) Interesting note. It was bought at the downtown Cleveland's Higbee store. If you have seen A Christmas Story, that is where they shot the Santa Claus scene and the window display. They were open during the day for normal business, and filmed at night.

A 10-pack of 1 ml syringes with 18G blunt tips, for filling converters and cartridges.
Larger capacity and longer tips than the 50-unit insulin hypodermics I was using.
Also handy for mixing frankeninks inside the converter.

Landed a parker fine nib and feed for my 1980's harlequin. Spied it in amongst some other bits and bobs on the bay.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
All but three of these were purchased since November. The M200 Black (4th from left) & the wood pens were all purchased over 12 years ago.
From left
Lamy Safari All Black F
Lamy Al-Star Vibrant Pink M
Pelikan M400 EF
Pelikan M200 EF
Pelikan M205 Ovaline F
Pelikan M200 Green Marbled F
Visconti Rembrandt Purple F
Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night 1.5mm stub
Noodler's Charlie loaded with the dreaded Baystate Blue
Pilot Metropolitan (as are the three at the top)
Handturned wood x 2 by Sokolowski Studios.
I will not be buying any more pens this year:001_rolle
Not until I see the Pelikan M600 that I can't say no to.
0123192218~2.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@captp Georg, you got it bad, my friend. :tongue_sm
Can you provide a quick scribble side-by-side of the Pelikan 200 F-vs-EF nibs? I plan on picking up a 200 late-spring / early-summer as a graduation gift to myself (back in college in my 50s :wheelchair:) but am currently undecided as to which of those two nibs to go with.

captp

@captp Georg, you got it bad, my friend. :tongue_sm
Can you provide a quick scribble side-by-side of the Pelikan 200 F-vs-EF nibs? I plan on picking up a 200 late-spring / early-summer as a graduation gift to myself (back in college in my 50s :wheelchair:) but am currently undecided as to which of those two nibs to go with.
Here you go, Sam. The only difference between the M200 & M205 is that the 200 has gold plate, the 205 is stainless.
0126192336~2.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
This very fine “double jeweled” Esterbrook J and spare nib arrived in my mailbox today. The nibs are medium firm. I’ll post up a review at when I get a chance. But I tell you what, this bad boy is one smooth writer.
AA9AAE11-8793-4408-A08D-62CD7FBE19B3.jpeg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Thanks, @captp. Those actually look pretty close, so I'm not sure it will help with my decision. Currently leaning towards the EF.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
But I tell you what, this bad boy is one smooth writer.

Yes, the 9XXX series nibs are the ones with an iridium tip and they are usually the smoothest. Congrats!

Somewhere here in the archives is a thread where I showed a trick to fix an Esterbrook clip that's been sprung. I can't find it now -- it was over five years ago.

captp

@rockviper Sam, I agree, they are close, but the EF is distinctly finer than the F. Check this one, it gives a good comparison from Pelikan EF, F, & Pilot Fine (distinctly finer than Pelikan or Lamy F or EF). Did I also do a Pilot 1mm Stub? Oh, yes I did.
0114192041~2.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yes, the 9XXX series nibs are the ones with an iridium tip and they are usually the smoothest. Congrats!

Somewhere here in the archives is a thread where I showed a trick to fix an Esterbrook clip that's been sprung. I can't find it now -- it was over five years ago.
That's cool! If you ever find it, tag me or something. I'd love to see that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just got my 1947 Parker 51 back from Danny Fudge (restoration and jewel replacement). Boy, he is fast. He buffed it some. The line between body and filler cap is barely distinguishable now.

84520DC2-EF4C-4671-8F31-4A9685EF50B4.jpeg
3AE8EC92-CF49-4F3B-80DA-F15626545A22.jpeg

Just got my 1947 Parker 51 back from Danny Fudge (restoration and jewel replacement). Boy, he is fast. He buffed it some. The line between body and filler cap is barely distinguishable now.

View attachment 947835 View attachment 947836

Nice hows it write?

Well I was reading about Parkers 'new' jotter bp and looked them up. Apparently its 7% bigger than a standard jotter and thats 114mm X 11mm, and comes with matt finishes on the barrel. So I managed to finda a cheaper one than parkers own site in grey.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice hows it write?

Well I was reading about Parkers 'new' jotter bp and looked them up. Apparently its 7% bigger than a standard jotter and thats 114mm X 11mm, and comes with matt finishes on the barrel. So I managed to finda a cheaper one than parkers own site in grey.
It has always written well, so I don’t think he had to do any nib tweaking. It used to belong to brianw, so he likely had the nib perfect. The rubber just wore out. I had to drill out the jewel (it was seized in there- 70 years will do that) so I could remove and bend the clip back in place a bit. I am very happy to have it back.

Top Bottom