What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2019

My NOS kaweco ice red ink roller ball has arrived. Loaded a fresh cartridge with pelikan black ink and off we go. Smooth and spot on.

I went shopping for some Diamine Oxblood ink today, but they were all out, and did not plan to order more until the risk of freezing in transit was diminished. :a1:
So I got some (80 ml) Diamine Ancient Copper instead.
proxy.php

I got to test it in the shop with an all-glass dip pen. That was strange.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I went shopping for some Diamine Oxblood ink today, but they were all out, and did not plan to order more until the risk of freezing in transit was diminished. :a1:
So I got some (80 ml) Diamine Ancient Copper instead.
proxy.php

I got to test it in the shop with an all-glass dip pen. That was strange.
Oh wow, that’s a nice color!

tankerjohn

My pens arrived last night! I’m so excited!

12F8D9EE-1636-415F-BF83-6BB32FDF224D.jpeg

Conklin Duragraph in forest green and Kaweco Student in black.

The Conklin came with a converter and both blue and black cartridges. I inked it up with the Monteverde Horizon Blue bottle that I got free with the purchase. It has an M nib and lays down a lovely wet line.

At first I couldn’t find the cartridge that that came with the Kaweco, so I popped in the black cartridge from the Conklin, which I presume is Monteverde ink. Then, of course, the Kaweco cartridge fell out of the pen body. Doh! But it’s all good. The Kaweco sports an F nib and seems very dry. Maybe it just needs a break in or different ink.

5F15E0D3-1C41-4C0D-886C-3CF123D8718B.jpeg

I can’t wait to put these pens through their paces. I’ll post my thoughts in the appropriate threads when I get a chance.

TWSBI Vac mini with a broad nib, and a spare nib in fine for it, along with some empty ink sample vials (I plan on diluting some inks for use in the flex nib Noodlers Konrad). Also, that moment when the thank you card in the Goulet order is signed by the man himself!

IMG_20190105_1318364.jpg

My pens arrived last night! I’m so excited!

View attachment 940944
Conklin Duragraph in forest green and Kaweco Student in black.

The Conklin came with a converter and both blue and black cartridges. I inked it up with the Monteverde Horizon Blue bottle that I got free with the purchase. It has an M nib and lays down a lovely wet line.

At first I couldn’t find the cartridge that that came with the Kaweco, so I popped in the black cartridge from the Conklin, which I presume is Monteverde ink. Then, of course, the Kaweco cartridge fell out of the pen body. Doh! But it’s all good. The Kaweco sports an F nib and seems very dry. Maybe it just needs a break in or different ink.

View attachment 940945
I can’t wait to put these pens through their paces. I’ll post my thoughts in the appropriate threads when I get a chance.

Awesome pick ups! I have a Kaweco Skyline Sport in fine, and it writes on the dryer side as well, though in my case for the use I bought it for is perfect. Fast dry time on a travel pocket pen is ideal. I am guessing that is just the way of the Kaweco fine. They are still very smooth writers.

tankerjohn

Awesome pick ups! I have a Kaweco Skyline Sport in fine, and it writes on the dryer side as well, though in my case for the use I bought it for is perfect. Fast dry time on a travel pocket pen is ideal. I am guessing that is just the way of the Kaweco fine. They are still very smooth writers.
Thanks. That’s good to know about the Kaweco fine nib. I figure I’ll reserve judgment until I use the pen more. I actually filled out some forms this morning on cheap copy paper and the dry nib was perfect. So maybe that’s just how I’ll roll with this pen. The Durograph lays down a juicier line for fancier writing.

Thanks. That’s good to know about the Kaweco fine nib. I figure I’ll reserve judgment until I use the pen more. I actually filled out some forms this morning on cheap copy paper and the dry nib was perfect. So maybe that’s just how I’ll roll with this pen. The Durograph lays down a juicier line for fancier writing.
Exactly, for the stuff I'll use my Kaweco for, a drier writing fine nib is ideal. I have plenty of wet line writers for when I need that.

I couldnt resist this one. A Kaweco Sketch up grip ballpoint plus a chrome clip. My new job precludes any use of a fountain pen, so it's roller balls of ball points while at work.

4250278609887_S-550.jpg

tankerjohn

I couldnt resist this one. A Kaweco Sketch up grip ballpoint plus a chrome clip. My new job precludes any use of a fountain pen, so it's roller balls of ball points while at work.
View attachment 941256

Cool pen! If you don’t mind me asking, what sort of job precludes fountain pen usage? Is there a safety issue?

Hi tankerjohn. I recently went back into the NHS here in the uk. I was an ambulance advanced med tech but now work in liver surgical theatres. I did ask my line manager about using an FP while in theatre but theres a hygiene isuse if I drop it. That and a ballpoint has little in the way of an ink dyring time. I am using my Kaweco ink roller ball when out of the main surgical rooms when I can though.

tankerjohn

Hi tankerjohn. I recently went back into the NHS here in the uk. I was an ambulance advanced med tech but now work in liver surgical theatres. I did ask my line manager about using an FP while in theatre but theres a hygiene isuse if I drop it. That and a ballpoint has little in the way of an ink dyring time. I am using my Kaweco ink roller ball when out of the main surgical rooms when I can though.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. Too bad FPs are a no go in the surgical theatre. I’m afraid I need that translated to ‘Merican. Is a “surgical theatre” like an operating room? LOL, I love the UK, but we’re definitely two peoples separated by a common language.

Top Bottom