What's new

The New Blackland Sabre GEM!

I imagine it’s a lot of fun having the ability to think up new ideas and having the equipment to make it a reality. I’ve always thought up ideas in other hobbies that I thought would be useful but I never had any machining equipment or access to any to make my ideas become a reality. I always loved thinking of new designs and you having the ability to test them out would be amazing.

When you say opens up versatility I wonder if ya mean in levels of aggression…. Or blade choices as in the Sabre may be able to accept a different platform of blades. I doubt that’s the case but I bet with a couple design tweaks it could be done. I probably wouldn’t do that if it sacrificed anything but it would be interesting.

I like the Personna blades but I’d love to see some more companies start producing coated blades to have a couple more options that are worthwhile. There are so many DE blade choices but so few when it comes to certain SE varieties.
An updated modern GEM razor. Great. The only razor type I use are GEM style. Vintage Ever Ready to be exact. I will say, this thread has piqued my curiosity about modern GEM’s.

One reason I like GEM style razors are because of the few razor choices and the few blade choices offered. A different way of thinking. The PTFE blade is my blade of choice. The only blade I use. For me, the more razor and blade choices I have to make means less time to focus on improving my technique and getting a good shave. For me it takes the joy out of wet shaving. I don’t want to spend time worrying, is this the right razor /blade combo for me. For many this is standard practice. Actually this is what many enjoy most about wet shaving. Good for them. Continue this practice.

I spent a few years trying out different razors and blades. I found what I like. I no longer have the desire to try out different hardware. Razors or blades. This new Sabre could be an exception.

I like to go into my bathroom pick up my SE, I only own two, without much thought. I like to put in a blade, without much thought. I do my pre shave routine. I begin my shave. Simple. This is how I enjoy the hobby.

I enjoy the hobby just as much as those who enjoy using different razor types, different blade types and different brands.

Do what you want with other formats. Please keep the blade offerings for GEM as is. It is not broken and does not need fixing. Nice thread.

I must say the new design idea is a great concept and I like that it could produce 4 levels at a reduced price. But if the price is close to $300 it probably won't be a purchase for me unless the reviews are absolutely great. I am probably more frugal then most on the forum so I have no doubts you will sell plenty to make it worthwhile and I hope it turns out to be a great razor.

As for looks, I am probably in the minority but I actually prefer the more squared look of the original design. Plus I like the extra weight of the original. Hopefully there will be some people offloading their original Sabres over the next year as they purchase this one so I can grab an OG level 2 when funds permit it.

One thing I would really love to see is you guys (and other razor companies) offering razors without handles for a reduced price. I know a lot of the cost of the razor is for the handle and I have a whole box of them I never use. I don't own a BlackBird yet and I think I might really like that handle design so I'd likely still buy it with the handle but with most razors the handle is just extra cost that I'll never use. I'm sure 95% of people would still purchase the handle but I'd say you'd also gain a few sales from people like me who only need the head.

When I first seen the design I had some concerns in my head but you addressed them in the video. Overall, great job!

Wow, what an awesome design. How is shaving under the nose? I guess not as good as a vector but must be pretty good, right?

Yes that's correct. It's really good under the nose, but nothing comes close to the Vector for this. With a GEM you're limited due to the size of the blade, but I think the new Sabre is about as good as it gets.

I must say the new design idea is a great concept and I like that it could produce 4 levels at a reduced price. But if the price is close to $300 it probably won't be a purchase for me unless the reviews are absolutely great. I am probably more frugal then most on the forum so I have no doubts you will sell plenty to make it worthwhile and I hope it turns out to be a great razor.

As for looks, I am probably in the minority but I actually prefer the more squared look of the original design. Plus I like the extra weight of the original. Hopefully there will be some people offloading their original Sabres over the next year as they purchase this one so I can grab an OG level 2 when funds permit it.

One thing I would really love to see is you guys (and other razor companies) offering razors without handles for a reduced price. I know a lot of the cost of the razor is for the handle and I have a whole box of them I never use. I don't own a BlackBird yet and I think I might really like that handle design so I'd likely still buy it with the handle but with most razors the handle is just extra cost that I'll never use. I'm sure 95% of people would still purchase the handle but I'd say you'd also gain a few sales from people like me who only need the head.

When I first seen the design I had some concerns in my head but you addressed them in the video. Overall, great job!

Thanks for watching and for your feedback! There's no getting around the fact that this isn't a budget razor. But it's far more budget-friendly than buying four base plates. We're hoping to keep it in the reasonable-premium category.

We don't offer head-only versions of our razors because Blackland is a design-first razor company. We design and sell razors as a complete entity. To me, selling a razor without a handle is like selling a Ferrari without wheels because you already own wheels you like. I have a specific vision when I design a razor and it's important to me that we keep that vision intact. It's one of the things that separates Blackland from the other mix-and-match razor companies.

As for looks, I am probably in the minority but I actually prefer the more squared look of the original design. Plus I like the extra weight of the original.

+1

Although the AD Vestige is an excellent modern design, I prefer the shaves I get with the Sabre and Wolfman and think the sheer weight of these razors actually is a benefit.

Shane did you consider releasing more baseplates for the original Sabre or was a revamp always the plan?

I'm sure it will be a great option for those who enjoy adjustables but if I'm honest: once I zero in on a baseplate for any razor I tend to stick to that plate. Unless both open comb and solid bar options are available.

+1

Although the AD Vestige is an excellent modern design, I prefer the shaves I get with the Sabre and Wolfman and think the sheer weight of these razors actually is a benefit.

Shane did you consider releasing more baseplates for the original Sabre or was a revamp always the plan?

I'm sure it will be a great option for those who enjoy adjustables but if I'm honest: once I zero in on a baseplate for any razor I tend to stick to that plate. Unless both open comb and solid bar options are available.

Sabre needed a redesign. Honestly I hate looking at it because the original is some amateur modeling that I'm not particularly proud of. I also think it needs to keep up with the times and adapt to the market.

As for releasing more base plates, we HATE making multiple base plates. It sucks at every level. It's expensive to produce, then we have to sit with odd numbers of random base plates that don't sell as well so it makes inventory management a nightmare. Then it sucks for the customer because they never know which level works for them and it's more expensive to buy multiple base plates. Even just a Sabre with one extra base plate is more expensive than the new Sabre with four levels will be. It's particularly tough for international customers who can't easily return items. We'd much rather make one item, stock one item, and sell one item that has more functionality. It's a win for the customer and a win for us.

Regarding adjustables, zeroing in on one setting is great. But that only works if you're easily able to try multiple. New Sabre makes that easy. It would cost you around $460 to get a Sabre with three additional base plates for all four levels. The Sabre won't come anywhere remotely close to that.

Sabre needed a redesign. Honestly I hate looking at it because the original is some amateur modeling that I'm not particularly proud of. I also think it needs to keep up with the times and adapt to the market.

As for releasing more base plates, we HATE making multiple base plates. It sucks at every level. It's expensive to produce, then we have to sit with odd numbers of random base plates that don't sell as well so it makes inventory management a nightmare. Then it sucks for the customer because they never know which level works for them and it's more expensive to buy multiple base plates. Even just a Sabre with one extra base plate is more expensive than the new Sabre with four levels will be. It's particularly tough for international customers who can't easily return items. We'd much rather make one item, stock one item, and sell one item that has more functionality. It's a win for the customer and a win for us.

Regarding adjustables, zeroing in on one setting is great. But that only works if you're easily able to try multiple. New Sabre makes that easy. It would cost you around $460 to get a Sabre with three additional base plates for all four levels. The Sabre won't come anywhere remotely close to that.
Another great work from Blackland. In fact, Blackland and Tatara is the only 2 modern makers that I think are really into making sth different (Oh! Leaf Twig was awesome, too.)

I am very interested in the new Sabre. I have V1 with both base plates and have shimmed the L2 plate in the past for more efficiency, so I am looking forward to level 3 and 4 of the new Sabre. I also am thinking about the Vector lite base plate in titanium (if that comes out).

This has me leaning more towards the WR3 over the Vestige. The price for head only is just a few bucks more then a Vestige head and I think I’d like the additional weight.

I’ll see how I like my Shield first but at the moment the WR3 or maybe new Sabre will be my follow up. It looks like a .60 blade gap on the WR3 would probably be about right for me but imagine anywhere from .50-.70 would work. I’ve never seen any mention of Wolfman selling additional baseplates so assume he doesn’t offer the plate without cap?
I prefer the WR3 over the Vestige solely on the weight and heft of the WR3. There is a point when a razor becomes too light and the Vestige to me is at that point.

Last edited:
+1

Open comb Sabre... now you've done it!!! I want one! @Blackland Razors sign me up for a brass open comb Sabre 2.0

Excellent.👍 The Osprey killed RAD for me and I will be looking at the Sabre II solely for luxury enjoyment.

Shane & crew, thank you for your remarkable efforts in delivering excellence, quality, and value to the premium razor market.

I cannot stand the multi-baseplate/cap system, "S36 with K24 cap on a P72 handle..." I understand the concept, but it is still very much shilling the rubes in my mind.

Seriously?
I guess the artist doesn't always see his art through the eyes of the receiver.
I think the original Sabre is a beautiful design that's simplistic but has beautiful aesthetics. "Functional art!"
It's on the top of the list on my most beautiful razors that I own (of course, based on my taste):
Sabre, Pils 101NE, Barbaros TR3, Tatara Nodachi, Gillette Slim adjustable and all my vintage GEM's!

Top Bottom