What's new

The Mühle R41 (Twist) is the BEST razor in the WORLD!

Sharper blades seem to work best for me too. I particularly like the Gillette Nacet (it just works in whatever razor i throw it in). Having said that, today I got a superb shave with the R103 and just a plain Wilkinson Sword blade... Random...

I've got a Nacet sample I'll be trying sometime next week. I hear good things about them.

As promised, I tried the R41 with the SLOC top cap for today's shave. I used the R41-SLOC on the right side of my face and the stock R41 the left so I could see which worked better for me. This was my process:

1. Hot shower, then to the sink
2. Proraso Green pre-shave
3. Proraso Red soap
4. WTG pass on the right side with the SLOC top cap and Feather (4) blade
5. WTG pass on the left side with stock R41 cap
6. Hot water rinse
7. Re-apply pre-shave
8. Re-apply lather
9. XTG pass on the left side with stock R41 cap
10. XTG pass on the right side with the SLOC cap
11. Face wash with remaining lather
12. Hot water rinse
13. Cold water rinse
14. Proraso White after shave balm
15. Old Spice after shave

My impressions:

- The SLOC config was quieter and felt much smoother while shaving. It seemed very mild.
- The stock R41 config was louder and I could feel the blade every inch of the way. It definitely didn't glide.
- The SLOC config gave me a weeper on my neck.
- The after shave feedback was a little stronger on the SLOC side.
- The SLOC side feels a little irritated after 30 minutes. The stock side feels nice and airy.
- The stock R41 gave me a closer shave than with the SLOC cap.

In the end, I'm giving the overall edge for today's shave to the stock R41. I think it did its job better and left my skin feeling great, but it could just be down to familiarity. YMMV.

Note: If you try this on your own, don't over-tighten. I noticed the blade edge became wavy as the SLOC teeth pressed the blade into the gaps between the R41 base plate teeth. Backing off and tightening just until "snug" gave me a nice straight edge.

Let me know if you have questions about something I didn't cover. Thanks!
I agree that the original cap seems to be best. Haven't tried the R89 cap...that might be an option (to try)

Just tried an R41 on its maiden voyage. Not the twist; I had the 89 so I just bought the R41 head. Loaded a brand new GSB. First pass was wtg, then atg, finally xtg. Should have done the atg last as it was not comfortable at all. Wtg and xtg were very smooth. Maybe the closest shave that I have had. A bit of irritation on the lower neck. Otherwise everything else good. Felt I had to be very careful - maybe just over-caution.

Next went on to shave the dome. Felt really good. Didn't have to worry as much about getting nicked. Very close. This may be where the razor really shines!

Last edited:
I recently acquired the r103 and love it. I use it daily but dont have as much area to cover ( stache and goat for years).

I have no idea what you'd call my growth. patchy areas with not overly thick growth. by about 1 PM I start to feel stubble returning.

first time I shaved with it I used a derby premium. next day moved to feathers and do not regret it. they just feel smooth to me.

I did really like the merkur 41c 1904 OC.....but the muhle gives me what I have been seeking. AGT, XTG, cleanup on neck and maybe jawline.

I have no desire to experiment with caps......I believe she's perfect as is!!!

20200128_213554.jpg

I believe this to be "the one" for me.

camo

I shaved against the grain with it once. It was comfortable, but shaved very close. I ended up with ingrown hairs.

I shaved against the grain with it once. It was comfortable, but shaved very close. I ended up with ingrown hairs.

understood.

with this said, if I needed to do well with WTG......I'd still bet $$$$ on this one!!

what really surprised me was with fine tuned technique.....I enjoy great shaves with my GEM jr. SE razor!

camo

I bought an R41 with the white resin handle. I really get great shaves from it and like the light weight handle.

I have an R89 Twist from some time ago. I remember being so impressed with its beauty and with the Twist system.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds!

I recently acquired the r103 and love it. I use it daily but dont have as much area to cover ( stache and goat for years).

I have no idea what you'd call my growth. patchy areas with not overly thick growth. by about 1 PM I start to feel stubble returning.

first time I shaved with it I used a derby premium. next day moved to feathers and do not regret it. they just feel smooth to me.

I did really like the merkur 41c 1904 OC.....but the muhle gives me what I have been seeking. AGT, XTG, cleanup on neck and maybe jawline.

I have no desire to experiment with caps......I believe she's perfect as is!!!

View attachment 1062556

I believe this to be "the one" for me.

camo
It's a handsome looking thing for sure!

Top Bottom