What's new

The MMA Thread

Dynamite was okay. WTH was up with the Glory fights? The HW bout was entertaining but the other two. Brutal. Took the inertia right out of the show. Gil's wife beating up on a soccer mom was terrible. How was that a sanctioned bout?

Never thought King Mo was going to walk out against Phil. Not when he can circle back around after Phil has won the belt.

Tito was being Tito. McGeary gets a mudhole stomped in him by Phil.

Surprised no one has mentioned this bit of horse hockey:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tank-abbott-ronda-rousey_560228ece4b08820d91ac922

Wonder if Tank can make the cut to 135?

Time for my rant on the subject (spoiler tagged if you don't wanna read it):

Somebody must have either: woke up blitzed one morning or found themselves starved for attention. Perhaps both. This whole thing about Ronda vs. men has completely jumped the shark IMO. It's never going to happen, at least not in a legal/sanctioned bout. I can't foresee any legitimate athletic sanctioning body licensing a fight between a man and a woman. Even the weight disparity in this case, even if they were both men, wouldn't get sanctioned.

In the event that such a bout could get past a sanctioning body, allow me to address the next point: there is absolutely no percentage whatsoever for a male fighter to take a bout against a female fighter, be it Ronda or anyone else. No percentage whatsoever. Here's my breakdown of the outcomes:

Male wins: *golf clap, dim expressions, sarcasm dripping* "Congratulations. You beat up a girl. What a big man you are. Great fighter. Yup." His career is over soon thereafter after his sponsors drop him after the social media fallout and his contract expires without an attempt at renewal. He'll carry the stigma of being a 'woman beater' for years to come.

Male loses: "HAHAHA! You got beaten by a GIRL! How can you expect us to take you seriously as a career fighter after that?" His career is over with that cloud hanging over his head. He'll probably not be able to show his face at any local bars or clubs after that for quite some time.

Seen it, didnt bring it up because most posters of this thread are tired of reading about the ronda hypetrain BS. I am not saying this to offend you by the way.

No offense taken. I had wondered if that was the reason why no one had broached the subject yet, but the idea of Tank Abbott calling out Ronda Rousey was too comical not to be addressed. I actually looked on The Onion after I saw the headline to make sure that they weren't taking the **** on it. The only way we'll ever see that is if Celebrity Deathmatch gets brought back.

brucered

System Generated
It's sad to watch fighters (and wrestlers for that matter), do and say stupid things to think they are still relevant.

Uriah Hall, Dang!! Wouldn't have predicted him winning in a million years.

I didn't see Barnett losing in Japan. That guy when he's on point, he's a beast. Roy is one tough dude, hanging in there.

Speaking of Barnett, anyone seen any of his Metamoris bouts?

got tagged on FB for the hall KO. That was awesome!

good, i cant wait to see him beat daniel "fake champ "cormier.

but, i would rather see gustaffson beat cormier. So we can finally get to watch gus/jones 2. Because thats probably the only rematch i've been wanting to see.

Last edited:
I agree with you in the fact that Jon Jones is the best in the world and especially with Cormier as champ, the belt is hollow, but I would have liked to see Jon get a stiffer punishment. He deserves a stiffer punishment. I wonder if the NAC has any authority over fighters committing felonies (and he plead guilty to a felony) in terms of suspensions.

I'm rooting for the Big Swede this weekend, but I think Cormier takes him down and grinds out a win.

I can only guess that dana and the fertittas had their hands in the whole ordeal. Since i doubt dana and co. Want to lose out on jones starpower. Probably even more now. I'm sure they paid a ton for those lawyers.

I liken it (Dana at the hearing) to Tom Hagen and showing up at the Congressional hearings with Frankie Five Angel's brother. Nothing that you can prove, of course, but just VERY convenient.

Just saw that Michael Bispeng was pulled from an upcoming card due to injury. Looking forward to this weekend to see if Johny Hendricks brings it against Woodley.

Ahh, seriously?

Good ole bisping has taken a bad rap over the years. But he's a solid fighter, and i think his eye injury has preventd him from achieving higher rank.

Ahh, seriously?

Good ole bisping has taken a bad rap over the years. But he's a solid fighter, and i think his eye injury has preventd him from achieving higher rank.

Not to mention fighting the TRT fueled contenders every time a title shot loomed. Bisping has NOTHING to apologize for . . . he has made a good living out of a SOLID career.

I liken it (Dana at the hearing) to Tom Hagen and showing up at the Congressional hearings with Frankie Five Angel's brother. Nothing that you can prove, of course, but just VERY convenient.
People are looking for a UFC conspiracy. No need. Jones is a celebrity multi millionaire. They NEVER get seriously punished. Of course Dana and co were there to support their cash cow, but godfather esque antics? Nonsense. This was good Ole money and fame from jonny bones Jones.

I dont know Tim, the fertitta bros have had mob connections for years (i'll find the article). And then theres that interview with robert meirowitz (former ufc owner) talking about how he had to sell the ufc because he couldnt get sanctioned by the NSAC. Then the fertitta bros step in and save it. Only for meyrowitz to find out that lorenzo worked as a comissioner for the nsac. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

like i said before, the ufc/zuffa is not beyond corruption. If other major sport orgs can control things for their advantage. So can they

To be honest, I was only making the comment about appearances, and not trying to suggest any sort of conspiracy, although a LOT of fishy things seem to have occurred in the lead up to the actual court case. I have no doubt that money played a BIG part in reaching this point. I was just making note of the appearances aspect of things.

But, yeah, the Fertitta boys are no angels.

Looking forward to seeing how the Venzuelan Vixen does this weekend/

I dont know Tim, the fertitta bros have had mob connections for years (i'll find the article). And then theres that interview with robert meirowitz (former ufc owner) talking about how he had to sell the ufc because he couldnt get sanctioned by the NSAC. Then the fertitta bros step in and save it. Only for meyrowitz to find out that lorenzo worked as a comissioner for the nsac. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

like i said before, the ufc/zuffa is not beyond corruption. If other major sport orgs can control things for their advantage. So can they

I don't doubt the Fertitta's have some connections. but that isn't neccesary for the Jon Jones situation. Jones is very wealthy in his own right, I personally believe (sans evidence) that he made a large payout to the woman injured in the crash. That certainly helped and celebrities tend not to go to jail in this country, OJ being the exception but that was only after he walked from a double murder everyone now believes he committed. A single juror wasn't corrupted, a la John Gotti trials, this was a decision from a prosecutor and a judge, for them to use mafioso's to threaten people that like, that's beyond run of the mill corruption, that's a huge deal. I think the Fertitta's have much more pull because they are billionaires than because of any goons that they know.

Now I totally agree the UFC isn't beyond corruption as the recent situation with Vitor Belfort proves.

If I remember correctly, most of us all believed when this first went down, that Jones would get through this pretty easily.

Also on terms of UFC influence, they are suing the state of New York to legalize MMA. And have scheduled a fight at Madison Square Garden in April. My guess is that is the planned return for Jones.

Who do you guys thinks wins this weekend? Cormier or Gus?

Also anyone else seen all this coverage that Sage Northcutt is getting? He's a 19 year old they just signed from Legacy (or Titan or one of those) that is making his debut on Fight Pass.

Top Bottom