What's new

The MMA Thread

Gilbert Melendez suspended for one year following a failed post fight drug test at UFC 188. He tested positive for exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites. If the fight would have been in July he would be suspended from 2-4 years.

I just saw this, I figured it had to be for recreational drugs. You know you'll get a contact high just being in the same room as the Diaz bros, but jeez steroids. I'm no Gil fan, but this shocked me. How long will he be suspended?

The only thing I will say is this . . . at least there was no BS from Melendez about the whole thing. Just a straight up admission that he screwed up, an apology, an acceptance of his punishment, and that's it. Unlike so many, THIS is how you handle your business when you get caught.

brucered

System Generated
The only thing I will say is this . . . at least there was no BS from Melendez about the whole thing. Just a straight up admission that he screwed up, an apology, an acceptance of his punishment, and that's it. Unlike so many, THIS is how you handle your business when you get caught.

I didn't see it but at least he manned up.

To a point . . . there was the standard thing about "not knowing that some of his supplements contained banned ingredients", but the key for me was his admission that it is his responsibility to know for sure what goes into his body. A refreshing thing to hear/read.

Still, I don't like how everyone blames supplements, it sounds you can go to GNC and get everything steroid known to man.

But at least he isn't outright lying like Anderson. He's very lucky his fight wasn't a month later. Be out for 3 years.

Funny you should mention GNC. Many moons ago, after my first bout with Colitis, I took a gym membership in order to try and build muscle after losing a lot of weight due to my illness. I started out quite well, and was making decent progress but wanted "more", so I went to a GNC. I was not interested in the protein shakes and the huge tubs of various powders. I was just looking for something small to add to my diet to give me a little extra in terms of my workouts, so I started taking these protein bars. One a day, plus one before each workout. It helped increase my weight gain, but not in any great capacity. About six months after starting to eat these bars I was doing a full work up with my Family Doctor to see how well things were progressing on the Colitis front. when I went to see him about the blood work, he asked if I was seeing any other physicians since starting my workout regimen. when I told him "no" and asked why, he said there was something he found in my blood work that seemed to indicate I was taking a steroid of some kind. Now, part of my initial treatment for Colitis was a prescription for a catabolic steroid known as prednisone, but this was an anabolic. He said it was a very small amount and suggested I stop eating those protein bars for a month or two. Sure enough, when I stopped eating those bars, the blood work was clear. Now granted, this was almost 30 years ago, but still . . .

The card this weekend:

I'm sort of torn between mendes and conor. I don't think mendes deserves a third title shot and i simply don't like conor. With that said, i think that conor winning will set up the Aldo fight by the end of the year and we will get to finally see it. And if conor wins, then no one can say he's not the real deal. Specially by beating a very tough guy and a wrestler in mendes. If mendes were to win, i think the UFC should have him fight edgar.

Lawler/Rory, I'm an underdog type of guy and i just like Robbie way better than Rory. He's a fantastic fighter, but he sometimes seems to underestimate his opponents. Robbie could have finished him last time, if they had 5 round fight. He will get his chance here.

Stephens is probably going to be fighting for his job here, with a two loss streak. I think bermudez takes this one.

rooting for thatch and pickett.

WelterweightMatt Brownvs.Tim Means
WelterweightMike Swickvs.Alex Garcia
WelterweightCathal Pendredvs.John Howard
BantamweightCody Garbrandtvs.Henry Briones

I'm hoping to see another highlight reel finish from brown here. Always rooting for Swick, but i wonder how much the lay off will affect him. He hasn't fought since Dec 2012.

Been reading a lot of hype for cathal, he's on a 11 fight streak (minus a draw he had in between). John howard is not an easy fight, so it should be a good scrap.

those last two guys, i haven't watched their fights.

Bolded picks are my winners. Sorry to disagree about the co-Main, but I think Rory is the more complete fighter, and I think he finally takes his chance and wins the gold. Stephens has a LOT of miles on that body, and I think Bermudez finishes it in the third. Gunnar is going to bounce back nicely and win by some weird sort of submission, and I think Pickett gets the KO of the night.

I really do not know about the Main Event. I expect that Conor will win it, but I think Mendes is just too tough to be put away as easily as McGregor expects. If he does what he says and finishes it in the second, then my hat is off to him, as I think this is a tougher test than even a HEALTHY Aldo would provide. One other reason to hope for a McGregor win will be the EPIC post-fight presser.

Bec Rawlings had to pull out of her fight with JoJo Calderwood in Scotland. Have to laugh about this one . . . a colossal smack talker with a record that come no where NEAR justifying her mouth. And then to pull and Aldo? hahahahaha . . .

Travis browne in deep doodoo after his ex girlfriend/wife released pictures of her bruised up body, she's saying it was him.

The UFC was quick to respond:

"UFC is aware of the social media allegations made against heavyweight Travis Browne. The organization requires all athletes to act in an ethical and responsible manner, as mandated by the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. UFC will not tolerate domestic violence or any other violation of the policy. Every athlete is deserving of due process and this situation, as with any official allegations, will be duly reviewed and thoroughly investigated by an independent party. In light of this news, Travis will not be participating in this week's UFC International Fight Week activities in Las Vegas.

"The prevention of domestic violence and the education of the athletes is of the utmost importance to the organization. UFC holds its athletes to the highest standard and will continue to take appropriate action if and when warranted."

brucered

System Generated
First dummy's doing drugs and if true, now one of the lowest of the low.

What is with these morons?

If true, I hope he is banned from all MMA, combat sports, sportscasting, writing and anything to use his name for financial gain and fades away, never to be heard from or seen again. What a dirt bag.

Last edited:
To be fair, the photos in the article I read showed bruised arms, which "could have occurred as he grabbed her to prevent her from hitting him. Not trying to sound like an apologist for Browne, but it is curious that his Manager claims they have not been together for over a month, and these allegations just happen to come out now.

Lets wait and see what the cops say, assuming she actually files charges, as opposed to just damaging him through social media.

Top Bottom