What's new

The lkon thread

Hey everyone, so the title says it all! I've read reviews about this razor and I have to say I'm intrigued. I would like to get people's opinion on where it stands compared to other razors, such as R41 or DE89 in terms of how efficient it is at shaving stubbles while being smooth. Thanks!

For me it is nearly impossible to get a BBS shave with the shavecraft 101. I would compare this razor to the feather popular razor. You really have to dig in hard to get a close shave with it.

This is hands down the best modem razor I have added to my stash. It feels mild on my face but it's very efficient. I would place it in the mid aggressiveness category. It gives me bbs shaves evey single time.

Well I've had a first run with all three base plates from the iKon 5 set and I have to say I'm surprised at the impressions. Last week I also received a 2013 R41 head, which I'm finding is a wonderful razor.

The OSS base plate is an extremely mild, trouble free shaver. Somehow though, this one left me with more irritation than either of the others. I had to go to four passes and do some blade buffing to get the shave I wanted. I will probably give this baseplate to my kid when he starts shaving. It'd be all but impossible for him to cut himself with it.

Moving on to the Deluxe OC, I really really like this base plate. Its an easy easy shaver and leaves me with a very nice irritation and weeper free DFS shave after three passes. I've said before, I have difficult skin/beard combo. True BBS is hard to come by for me, but after this shave I was BBS in three directions, which ain't too shabby.

Then the SB head. I jumped right into this one as if I were shaving with the OC or my Merkur. Looking at the geometry, its a bit intimidating, but I'm glad I didn't hold back. The solid bar is ever so slightly underbitten, leaving the ample blade exposure somewhat protrusive. Its similar to, but not as extreme as, the 2011 R41 design. The shave results are amazing. True BBS all over in three passes. No weepers, no irritation, laser crisp edges on my goatee. This one shaves a touch more efficiently than the 2013 R41, IMHO.

So like I said, I have a place for all three in my rotation, but I'm thinking the standard is definitely getting most of the airtime. Overall I'm very satisfied.

A note though, whomever cleaned up the cap after casting did a pretty horrific job. When you turn the cap in the light, rather than being a smooth curvature, it actually has facets. The machinist that put the finishing touches on it is not highly skilled, looks like something an apprentice would do. But it doesn't affect the shave and the finish is spot on. Overall its a good looking razor, I just have a critical eye for details, and that detail jumped out at me.

I would agree with that assessment for sure. The SB would be the most aggressive/efficient (not including the slant - that would be my favorite, but I wouldn't use it as a daily driver), and the OC is very smooth. I prefer the Weber PH to the iKon SB, but I prefer the Deluxe OC to both. The world of stainless razors is one of great shaves and impressive construction, and though we're talking about some serious cash to acquire several of them I think they're a very good investment. They will last long enough to pass down to you children, and if its something you don't like you can recoup most of your money in no time on the B/S/T. Enjoy your days of great shaves ahead!

Thanks Chris, I definitely will. It's funny, I was under the impression from my limited stable of razors that a mild/moderate razor would be my ideal. I had the Gillette Heavy Red Tip (mild IMO) Merkur (moderate), and 2011 R41. The '11 R41 was quite a trial, it shaves close to be certain, but my goodness, it's a temperamental razor. So the R41 made me think an aggressive will not be my daily driver. The Merkur shaves me well, and relatively trouble-free, but I had a lot of weepers in my trouble spots using it. And I didn't blade buff at all. The Gillette shaved me the most painlessly, but it also didn't come close to BBS. DFS for sure, but never anywhere in the realm of BBS.

So I was thinking, well, I'm better off with a milder razor, I just don't have the skin type for BBS. As a daily shaver, I can generally handle the little weepers from the Merkur, so that was my go-to. So in purchasing, I really wasn't aiming for an aggressive set up, I was focusing more on the mild and moderate options. Hence the iKon set.

Well kiddos, let that be a lesson to me. Now with the new R41 and the iKon Standard, I'm realizing that I just needed a more refined aggressive to get my ideal shaves. I can do BBS with these two razors with less trouble than I can do a mild shave with the OSS. Funny. I'm SO GLAD I didn't spring for the Feather. I think I would've been one of the haters. I may still pick one up out of curiosity. In fact I'm sure I will, eventually. I won't be totally satisfied until I've tried everything, knowing me. I'll just wait to find one on the BST.

I own a feather popular and hate it for it's mildness. I cannot get a close shave even with a feather loaded. I tend to use pressure to actually shave the stubbles but you can probably figure out what this results in... Anyways, I might have to pass on this one and stay with the more aggressive razor I have! Thanks guys!

Well kiddos, let that be a lesson to me. Now with the new R41 and the iKon Standard, I'm realizing that I just needed a more refined aggressive to get my ideal shaves.

The Ikon Standard is my favourite of the current crop of Ikon heads. Given your new preferences, I think that you would also very much like the ATT H2.

For me it is nearly impossible to get a BBS shave with the shavecraft 101. I would compare this razor to the feather popular razor. You really have to dig in hard to get a close shave with it.

This is hands down the best modem razor I have added to my stash. It feels mild on my face but it's very efficient. I would place it in the mid aggressiveness category. It gives me bbs shaves evey single time.

?! :confused1 ?!

Given your new preferences, I think that you would also very much like the ATT H2.

That's what I was thinking too. Now I'm looking forward to anniversary and/or Christmas time to get my hands on an ATT or four. :thumbup: I want to try the R and H plates in 1 and 2. I'd like to try the M plates too, just to see, but I don't know that I'd spend the money on it, unless the price was to work out better for a set than for the individual parts.

It's certainly more mild than aggressive but it gives me a great shave every time. No where near a R41. Probably more aggressive than an EJ, about like a Weber I suppose and smoother than either the EJ or Weber. It's my favorite razor. Buy one and try it, it's an easy sell if it doesn't work out.

I love it. It's on the mild end but provides a smooth and comfortable shave for me in two passes plus touch-up. I put a longer, heavier handle on it and I think that improves it a little. Great razor.

I bought an iKon Standard razor & Deluxe plate this week to go with my Slant head, i've used the Standard for a couple of shaves now and really like it.

I'll probably use it for a few more shaves, then try out the Deluxe and see how it compare to the NEW Deluxe 17mm & 15mm.

The 15mm Deluxe is my favourite OC razor head on a nice heavy UFO handle.

It's certainly more mild than aggressive but it gives me a great shave every time. No where near a R41. Probably more aggressive than an EJ, about like a Weber I suppose and smoother than either the EJ or Weber. It's my favorite razor. Buy one and try it, it's an easy sell if it doesn't work out.

I totally agree with this one. I just used mine the first time this morning. I'd also put it right next to my Weber PH, maybe just slightly smoother.

Top Bottom