What's new

The lkon thread

proxy.php

I'm very seriously engaged with Gillette Tech and NEW LC razors and I've been looking at the iKon OSS for some time.
Well, it looks like the iKon is as both Gillettes, but does it behave (shave) as both ?
Now, before I order one, I'd like to be sure that I expect what I think it is.
So, dear OSS users, can you tell me if the iKon OSS shaves like the two Gillettes ?

Thank you. I've got this PM about the NEW LC vs. the OSS. Very useful. Now, I still miss something about the other side of the OSS head - the Tech side.
Anybody there, that can help with that ?

The OSS Open Comb side is far less aggressive (to me at least) than an New LC. The Standard Bar Side is about even with a Tech. It may be a touch more aggressive than the Tech but not much

The OSS Open Comb side is far less aggressive (to me at least) than an New LC. The Standard Bar Side is about even with a Tech. It may be a touch more aggressive than the Tech but not much

See this is where faces/beard/blades, etc will vary from user to user. I find the OSS just a touch more aggressive than the LC New, maybe because of the extra weight. I can't really compare it to a Tech.

Probably (as OldGreyGuy writes), it is the weight of the handle that makes the closed side some more aggressive.

Win, I've been looking at the Ikon OSS for a while myself. Could it be the best of both razor types in one? It certainly is a razor that gives one who loves Techs and OCs. I thought I was done with razors, having been into buying brushes and blades before narrowing my likes (Semogue 1438/620; Astra SP) and broadening my dislikes (too many to list). If you get an iconic Ikon, please post your impressions. I continue to look at the Ikon OSS and know that it's but an Enter Key away from me. I just don't want to have it end its time with me in a drawer like my Feather AS-D1.

Last edited:
See this is where faces/beard/blades, etc will vary from user to user. I find the OSS just a touch more aggressive than the LC New, maybe because of the extra weight. I can't really compare it to a Tech.
Win, I've been looking at the Ikon OSS for a while myself. Could it be the best of both razor types in one? It certainly is a razor that gives one who loves Techs and OCs. I thought I was done with razors, having been into buying brushes and blades before narrowing my likes (Semogue 1438/620; Astra SP) and broadening my dislikes (too many to list). If you get an iconic Ikon, please post your impressions. I continue to look at the Ikon OSS and know that it's but an Enter Key away from me. I just don't want to have it end its time with me in a drawer like my Feather AS-D1.
What looks interesting to me is that when I use a LC head, with some blades, I can't do the ATG pass without getting irritation.
The solution is now, that I (if have the time for it) switch razors and get finished with the Tech.
This is too much mess around.
That's why I consider to buy an OSS.

It is as I expected. The closed side is as the Tech's and the other is almost as a NEW LC. The OC side have some more blade exposure though, so it's some more aggressive.I think it is the ultimative 3 piece razor, if you have your time for all 3 piece razors.

Last edited:
iKon OSS / Crystal
The quickest shave I've got.
A WTG with the OC side followed by a XTG/ATG with the CC side. WOW !!!
BBS !!! :thumbup:

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here, I don't post too often. Started with a Parker about 18 months ago and was gifted a new Ikon OSS, which is a fantastic razor. I used to suffer from severe ingrown hairs, but have nearly eliminated them with the Ikon, a Simpson XL2 BB Brush, Proraso Cream, Alum, and occasional B&C Skin Tight.

Anyways, after about 5 months of use, I've noticed some rust around the threading of the head on my Ikon OSS. I was under the impression that these were SS and would not rust. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I get in touch with Ikon?

I understand that stainless steel can still rust under poor conditions. However, does this mean that I need to disassemble my razor after every use in order to dry the threading? I didn't have this issue with my cheap $30 Parker.

With a vigorous scrubbing, I was able to remove the rusty residue. I would attribute this to the blades, however I change my blade every day and give my razor a good shake and towel pat after every shave. Again, same routine with my Parker, yet never ran in to this issue with that razor.

40+ years ago, I was taught as a young US Marine that rust meant neglect and our M14 rifles were carbon steel, not stainless. This really isn't a razor problem, it's a maintenance problem. And yes, if you buy an un-plated, bare metal razor, you're going to have to take greater care of it like disassembling and drying it after each use. Regarding your Parker, it doesn't rust because it's a plated and not a bare metal razor. Plating does not rust, only the underlying metal.

What you could do is send out your Ikon razor and have it plated in chrome, nickel, rhodium, or some other material. Then you'd have the best of both worlds and you'd no longer have to worry about rust! :wink2: I'm actually thinking of having my Weber razor rhodium plated for aesthetic reasons.

Top Bottom