What's new

The lkon thread

These two equal a beast of a shaver. I have enjoyed shaving with the DE89 for over 6 months and throught I would do a mild upgrade to the handle for cosmetic reasons. I never thought changing a handle would improve a shave but I was wrong. I did a single pass shave and I was so tight I didn't feel a second pass was needed. Has anyone had the same experience pairing two different product together? Love the heft of the IKON bulldog II handle! BTW- I am using feather blades.

Last edited:
This thread is quickly turning into a great tutorial on how to self-destruct a business. The manufacturer might want to take note. :confused1

Taproot,

The reason I step cautiously with my advice is that I am relatively new to wet shaving (8 months) and even newer to slant shaving (2 months). I am sharing newbie experiments rather than any deep insights from years of experience.

Part of my enjoyment of wet shaving is in finding the right balance of improving my shaving and satisfaction with my current daily shave. I'd like to think that there is some sort of risk/reward associated with mastering the next challenge and getting a better shave. Obviously, this is not always the case, as I've found things that just won't work for me at all. Next time I use the Ikon, I will try your "negative pressure" technique and see how that works for me.

BTW, as I said, my experience with Ikon and Astra SP has not been great.

Taproot,

I will try your "negative pressure" technique and see how that works for me.

BTW, as I said, my experience with Ikon and Astra SP has not been great.

I found my issue is that because of the heft, I was actually dropping on my face with a bit of thud. Because of the wide blade gap on one end of the razor, this caused some weepers. I know make sure to gently place on the face, and shave with normal "zero" pressure.

I also agree that the rounded head gives you much more leeway with the angle. In general, I find a steeper angle (the handle more parallel to my face than the floor) works for me WTG and a shallower angle works better XTG. The upside is more flexibility; the downside is that it may take you a while to fine tune.

Blades: Like others, I find sharper blades work better. Personally, the Gillette 70 blacks or Polsilvers are fantastic.

All in all, I really enjoy the razor. It's my most efficient and my go to when I have 2 days growth or more. It's also the most handsome modern razor I own, with a great feel in the hand.

Here lately I've been using a Ikon Bulldog handle with a replated Goodwill head and I must say that I'm extremely impressed.

I've used an IKON Bulldog II with EJ89, Maggard, Gillette Tech, and US and Brit NEW LC heads. In each case it's really enhanced the shave for me.

I just read this thread from cover to cover and I must say that I was considering the IKon. Now I am glad that I didn't. Wow that Facebook post was just stupid.

I just read this thread from cover to cover and I must say that I was considering the IKon. Now I am glad that I didn't. Wow that Facebook post was just stupid.
Yeah same here. I was pretty set on getting an Ikon, but now I am saving for the ATT Kronos R1 and will also get the R2 base plate to go with it and call it a day.

This is mind-boggling. What we are witnessing here is a breakdown of confidence in a company (that makes a high performance product btw) that could be avoided by simply answering a few emails!!! By the looks of it so far, this thread is well on its way to costing the manufacturer thousands of dollars, or more. I've already lost count of the # of people saying they won't buy an Ikon product from this point forward. And who can blame them? All because a simple question was ignored and left unanswered.

Just simply mind-boggling.

This is mind-boggling. What we are witnessing here is a breakdown of confidence in a company (that makes a high performance product btw) that could be avoided by simply answering a few emails!!! By the looks of it so far, this thread is well on its way to costing the manufacturer thousands of dollars, or more. I've already lost count of the # of people saying they won't buy an Ikon product from this point forward. And who can blame them? All because a simple question was ignored and left unanswered.

For me its not the lack on communication its the guy himself I have found Greg Kahn (Ikon owner) to not be a very nice person in general. I'll spend my money with the Stan's (ATT) and Phil's(Bullgoose) on this world and Ikon can keep there razors.

I use Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks. Blade alignment is tricky, but very important. I use a broken Q-tip to get it straight. It is the trickiest of my slants, though. Really have to be mindful of the angle.

I do it this way also.

And echo what everyone else says:

1. Less pressure
2. Softer angle

I actually put my pinky at the bottom of the handle to alleviate some of the speed. And I "blade buff" in order to make sure all my strokes are short and light.

Speaking of the Facebook page, has anyone checked out the "Likes"? Sites with naked women are not a very good business idea. Ya, many do enjoy them, but not such a good idea when it's connected to a so called "professional" business page. Think on your feet man! P.S. I'm loving my Feather AS-D2.

This is far from the first time Greg's put someone's back up, and I doubt it'll be the last. Good razors, bad owner.

I really love my SC 101. I love both sides, OC and SB. If I could get a standard OC or SB, would it be worth it? How many of you have another base in addition to the OSS? (I am aware I would need a top cap too.)

OK2S
I am always for getting more razors. If it is worth it or not is a personal thing. After all, if you have one razor, especially a stainless steel new construction razor, it should last well past your lifespan. So from a strictly logical standpoint you are set. I am sure there are many members here that have hundreds of razors. I have around 10. I used to have about 20. But I just bought a Weber the other day. And a SC101 a few weeks before. I say go for it!

I have the OSS, the Shavecraft 101 and the iKon OC. You would likely find the OSS slightly milder than the 101 and the OC a bit more aggressive but still on the mild side. The ikon SB is quite a bit more aggressive than the OC and one I did not keep. Each is different and I enjoy all three razors. It's worth it to me to have all of them.

Depends on how much you like your SC 101.

I use one almost every day, and the more I use it, the more I like it. I'm pretty satisfied with it. Enough so, that I have no desire to try other ikon razors at this point. I can't imagine that I could possibly like them any more than I already like the 101.

That's just to show you a slightly different viewpoint.

I have the OSS, the Shavecraft 101 and the iKon OC. You would likely find the OSS slightly milder than the 101 and the OC a bit more aggressive but still on the mild side. The ikon SB is quite a bit more aggressive than the OC and one I did not keep. Each is different and I enjoy all three razors. It's worth it to me to have all of them.
Good to know. Thanks!

Top Bottom