What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Went to see Jexi last night with my wife. Theater had nice recliners and was comfortable. Movie was kind of funny, kind of stupid, very shallow. Having said that, it was an OK way to spend 80 minutes emptying my brain. ;)
not a fan of recliners in movie theaters. I think it makes people forget they are no longer in their living rooms.

Beneath the Planet of the Apes from 1970.
hal hefner.jpg

El Camino on Netflix. A very satisfying wrap up to the one loose thread in Breaking Bad. And, as an elegy for the wonderful talents of Robert Forster, it was wonderful to watch.

Went to see Jexi last night with my wife. Theater had nice recliners and was comfortable. Movie was kind of funny, kind of stupid, very shallow. Having said that, it was an OK way to spend 80 minutes emptying my brain. ;)
I was actually wondering if anyone would have seen that one and posted anything... my wife worked on it at CBS Films, the studio is shutting down so its basically their last release. I saw a screening of it and felt pretty much the same way, it wasn't a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but it had enough funny parts to keep you entertained.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I was actually wondering if anyone would have seen that one and posted anything... my wife worked on it at CBS Films, the studio is shutting down so its basically their last release. I saw a screening of it and felt pretty much the same way, it wasn't a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but it had enough funny parts to keep you entertained.

Really cool that your wife worked on it. :)

Really cool that your wife worked on it. :)
Oooh I don't think she'd agree with you on that :001_tongu
The studio made a real late decision on actually releasing the movie, so they didn't have nearly as much in the way of time or resources to promote the movie (my wife works in publicity). Add in that the staff was not really working their hardest knowing that the place is shutting down... ultimately the movie didn't have much marketing oomph behind it or enough time to really build an awareness. We kept mentioning to each other that neither of us have heard/seen more than one radio ad, tv spot, social media post, etc. Which is not good when you're trying to get people excited about going to see a movie opening weekend.

Just watched Goin' South. An unsung movie if there ever was. I remember it being in theaters...very briefly. Apparently Steenburgen and Belushi's first movie.

Joker.

Loved Phoenix's brilliant performance, but he has not unseated Ledger for me as the best Joker ever. When Ledger's Joker looked at the screen, you could physically feel the weight and sheer madness of his stare. I can only imagine what depths he could pull had he been still alive to be cast in this film. Phoenix's Joker's descent into madness was extremely well played, but imho his Joker was just another murderer with a bad childhood, history of abuse, and mental issues; he wasn't very convincing - to me - as someone who could lead a riot. He was someone you'd feel sorry about. Ledger's Joker was thoroughly mad, tortured, with a heavy and powerful presence, absolutely someone who would be able to gather a following.

Still, loved the film and Phoenix's performance.

'Get Out'. It was good. Very good. Far better than most. Yet somehow I was still just a tad disappointed. It didn't get under my skin like Hereditary, or even come close to staying with me for days on end like The Piano Teacher and Funny Games (Haneke), Nymphomaniac (Lars Von Trier), Hunger (Steve McQueen) or The Exorcist. Maybe that's a good thing.

Wes

Joker.

Loved Phoenix's brilliant performance, but he has not unseated Ledger for me as the best Joker ever. When Ledger's Joker looked at the screen, you could physically feel the weight and sheer madness of his stare. I can only imagine what depths he could pull had he been still alive to be cast in this film. Phoenix's Joker's descent into madness was extremely well played, but imho his Joker was just another murderer with a bad childhood, history of abuse, and mental issues; he wasn't very convincing - to me - as someone who could lead a riot. He was someone you'd feel sorry about. Ledger's Joker was thoroughly mad, tortured, with a heavy and powerful presence, absolutely someone who would be able to gather a following.

Still, loved the film and Phoenix's performance.
i too felt a bit similar after watching Joker...

But after thinking about it. I think both joker performances are very different. So while i get why they are compared, i think it's a bit unfair to compare them as well.

Joker focused on his origin, upbringing, and ultimately his decent into madness (like you mentioned). By the end of the film, he had just turned into the joker. And i dare say that he still has more growing to do as the joker character for us to fully see the madman he will become.

With the dark knight, we see the joker in his full fledged joker persona. He was a very intimidating villain. I guess i would compare it to reaching max character level in a game.

If both jokers were to go against each other, no doubt in my mind that ledger wins 9/10 times. Simply because he has the experience and cunning that phoenix doesn't yet have.

Anyway, that's just what i think. I thought Joker (2019) was incredible. DC really needed a win here.

i'm rating the film 9.5/10

i too felt a bit similar after watching Joker...

But after thinking about it. I think both joker performances are very different. So while i get why they are compared, i think it's a bit unfair to compare them as well.

Joker focused on his origin, upbringing, and ultimately his decent into madness (like you mentioned). By the end of the film, he had just turned into the joker. And i dare say that he still has more growing to do as the joker character for us to fully see the madman he will become.

With the dark knight, we see the joker in his full fledged joker persona. He was a very intimidating villain. I guess i would compare it to reaching max character level in a game.

If both jokers were to go against each other, no doubt in my mind that ledger wins 9/10 times. Simply because he has the experience and cunning that phoenix doesn't yet have.

Anyway, that's just what i think. I thought Joker (2019) was incredible. DC really needed a win here.

i'm rating the film 9.5/10

Oh, it was a great film and a fantastic performance, no doubt.

Top Bottom