What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

'Mother!'

I watched this film cold. I knew nothing about it, who directed it and hadn't seen a trailer for it. My favourite way to watch movies. Early on, I wasn't struck on the colour palette but the cinematography had me guessing that this may be by an accomplished director, Jennifer Kent perhaps? Even so, I found it a little infuriating, the behaviour of the characters didn't come across as realistic and in a different frame of mind, I might have given up on it.

That would have been a terrible mistake. About a third of the way through the film, I figured out that this is not about realism; it' an allegory (I now know that it was directed by Darren Aronofsky).

This film is a study in controlled chaos, a metaphor for the world that we live in now; a world in which people choose to ignore the truth, rationality and reason; a world in which people are controlled by a paternalistic authority, that will do whatever it takes to get what it wants, and it is patient; a world in which the voice telling us that something is very wrong is too quiet to be heard; where over consumption and over population have dire consequences if left unchecked; where people take whatever they want, with out any consideration for the future. And it is cyclical.

In the end I was left devestated. I've been thinking about it since I stopped watching it. It is easily one of the finest half a dozen or so pieces of cinema that I have ever witnessed. Tremendous film making.

Wes

(I must also say that I already knew that Jennifer Lawrence was a good actor, but her performance here is astonishing).

Recently watched Jojo Rabbit. I expected it to be another stereotypical WWII movie with over the top satire (pretty sure it’s billed as a comedy), especially given some of the casting, and zero meaning.

I was very pleasantly surprised! There’s quite a few precious nuggets of truth in there. It’s actually quite heartwarming and charming at its root. Don’t miss out if you get the chance.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
'Mother!'

I watched this film cold. I knew nothing about it, who directed it and hadn't seen a trailer for it. My favourite way to watch movies. Early on, I wasn't struck on the colour palette but the cinematography had me guessing that this may be by an accomplished director, Jennifer Kent perhaps? Even so, I found it a little infuriating, the behaviour of the characters didn't come across as realistic and in a different frame of mind, I might have given up on it.

That would have been a terrible mistake. About a third of the way through the film, I figured out that this is not about realism; it' an allegory (I now know that it was directed by Darren Aronofsky).

This film is a study in controlled chaos, a metaphor for the world that we live in now; a world in which people choose to ignore the truth, rationality and reason; a world in which people are controlled by a paternalistic authority, that will do whatever it takes to get what it wants, and it is patient; a world in which the voice telling us that something is very wrong is too quiet to be heard; where over consumption and over population have dire consequences if left unchecked; where people take whatever they want, with out any consideration for the future. And it is cyclical.

In the end I was left devestated. I've been thinking about it since I stopped watching it. It is easily one of the finest half a dozen or so pieces of cinema that I have ever witnessed. Tremendous film making.

Wes

(I must also say that I already knew that Jennifer Lawrence was a good actor, but her performance here is astonishing).

Mother! has me intrigued. The reviews and commentary are very polarizing. Which means I'll watch it if for nothing else to satisfy my curiosity.

I'll watch it if for nothing else to satisfy my curiosity.

The main reason I watch most films. I'm still thinking about 'Mother!' now, it truly was on of the most intense films I've seen, along with The Exorcist, Irreversable, Funny Games, Nymphomaniac Parts 1 & 2 and Hunger. If you've seen any of those and been impressed by them, I'd urge you to watch Mother!. If you haven't seen any of those, I'd urge you to watch them all, preferably alone. They're really too intense for company. All of those films use tension and release in a very special way. It's the mechanics of film making that really has the effect, rather than the subject matter.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The main reason I watch most films. I'm still thinking about 'Mother!' now, it truly was on of the most intense films I've seen, along with The Exorcist, Irreversable, Funny Games, Nymphomaniac Parts 1 & 2 and Hunger. If you've seen any of those and been impressed by them, I'd urge you to watch Mother!. If you haven't seen any of those, I'd urge you to watch them all, preferably alone. They're really too intense for company. All of those films use tension and release in a very special way. It's the mechanics of film making that really has the effect, rather than the subject matter.

I've seen the first two films you mentioned but not the others. I admit that this is not my favorite genre but Mother! sounds intriguing, enough so for me to give it a go. My wife is in Ireland for a few weeks so I'm 'baching' it for awhile, so plenty of me time to watch it solo. I'll see if I can find it on one of our subscription services to stream on my TV.

Edit: I see that it's available on Hulu. Perfect

Last edited:
I've seen the first two films you mentioned but not the others. I admit that this is not my favorite genre but Mother! sounds intriguing, enough so for me to give it a go. My wife is in Ireland for a few weeks so I'm 'baching' it for awhile, so plenty of me time to watch it solo. I'll see if I can find it on one of our subscription services to stream on my TV.

Edit: I see that it's available on Hulu. Perfect

The experimental and often provocative films that auteurs tend to make are definitely not for everyone. Nymphomaniac in particular would be very awkward to watch in company. I went to see Anti-Christ by Lars Von Trier at the Curzon in London with my brother and it was a bit wierd. Fantastic film again, but I wish I'd watched it alone.

If you find Mother! unsatisfying or underwhelming in some way, I recently came across a very interesting way of thinking about the film. Even though it had already made a big impact on me, reading this really made me think. It's a bit of a spoiler though, so if you watch it, PM me afterwards and I'll happily give you the explanation. It all sort of makes sense.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The experimental and often provocative films that auteurs tend to make are definitely not for everyone. Nymphomaniac in particular would be very awkward to watch in company. I went to see Anti-Christ by Lars Von Trier at the Curzon in London with my brother and it was a bit wierd. Fantastic film again, but I wish I'd watched it alone.

If you find Mother! unsatisfying or underwhelming in some way, I recently came across a very interesting way of thinking about the film. Even though it had already made a big impact on me, reading this really made me think. It's a bit of a spoiler though, so if you watch it, PM me afterwards and I'll happily give you the explanation. It all sort of makes sense.

Soooo.... I just finished it a little while ago. Wow! Honestly I have mixed feelings (and emotions) about the film. Just, wow. It's very clear now the polarized reviews and why the film is so divisive.

I think I 'got' most of it but there are so many references throughout, I mean the whole film is an allegory. In the end I certainly have questions so I'll take you up on your offer. PM incoming!

I was neither unsatisfied nor underwhelmed. Not your standard horror film (at all) but describing it as intense is putting it mildly. Overall I'm glad to have watched it.

Last edited:
following up on the Wild Geese, I found a wonderful article in the Village Voice by Eric Hynes ranking the movies of director Andrew V. McLaglen. He's used a "macho checklist" that includes
Stogies
Heavy Drinking
Women
Poorly Explained Mission
Racist Undertones
I can no longer view action movies (particularly the ensemble action movie) without implementing this scale.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I watched Midsommar Directors Cut(2 hours 50 minutes) and Joker last night.

Joker focused on his origin, upbringing, and ultimately his decent into madness (like you mentioned). By the end of the film, he had just turned into the joker. And i dare say that he still has more growing to do as the joker character for us to fully see the madman he will become.

With the dark knight, we see the joker in his full fledged joker persona. He was a very intimidating villain. I guess i would compare it to reaching max character level in a game.

I agree about Joker. Its the best backstory I've ever seen and maybe the best performance I've ever seen. Phoenix was good, really good, in You Were Never Really Here, but as good as he was in that role he paled in comparison to Joker. Joker and The Dark Knight would make an awesome double feature.

'Mother!'

Mother! is a trip. Its like watching an accident happen in slow motion and being unable to look away even though you really want too. Film making at its finest.

If you havent yet watched Hereditary and/or Midsommar you might really enjoy them too. They both gave me the same kind of intense surreal experience as Mother!. The music in Midsommar is insidious and really ramps the tension up slowly. It does have scenes that are shocking and it's certainly not for the faint of heart, as much as the trailer may make you think otherwise. All is not as it seems in sunny Sweden lol.

Both are written and directed by Ari Aster that I think is the best horror writer/director there is right now. I dont think he's completely found his footing just yet but there will be many great things coming from him.

I really enjoy how horror movies are starting to mature and moving away from jump scares to the intense suspense like these movies offer.

If you havent yet watched Hereditary and/or Midsommar you might really enjoy them too.

I watched Hereditary this Summer. My nephew stayed with us for a few days and he brought it with him on Blu-ray. I'd never heard of it before and I was really surprised by the level of film making. Very, very good. The next day it had me thinking of Don't Look Now, Tyrion Lannister, those remarkable paintings of dwarves by Velazquez and our attitudes towards those who are different in some way.

I will definitely watch Midsommar, but again, I hadn't heard of it till now. Thanks.

I really enjoy how horror movies are starting to mature and moving away from jump scares to the intense suspense like these movies offer.

I feel the same way about this. In the episode on horror films in Mark Kermode's Secret's Of Cinema he covers the change in approach by newer film makers, if I remember correctly, as well as the unique suitability of horror to the medium.

There's also a documentary along similar themes called Fear Itself by Charlie Lyne, a personal journey through film using a sequence of montages with narration.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I watched Hereditary this Summer. My nephew stayed with us for a few days and he brought it with him on Blu-ray. I'd never heard of it before and I was really surprised by the level of film making. Very, very good. The next day it had me thinking of Don't Look Now, Tyrion Lannister, those remarkable paintings of dwarves by Velazquez and our attitudes towards those who are different in some way.

I will definitely watch Midsommar, but again, I hadn't heard of it till now. Thanks.

I feel the same way about this. In the episode on horror films in Mark Kermode's Secret's Of Cinema he covers the change in approach by newer film makers, if I remember correctly, as well as the unique suitability of horror to the medium.

There's also a documentary along similar themes called Fear Itself by Charlie Lyne, a personal journey through film using a sequence of montages with narration.

This is another one you might really enjoy if you havent seen it.

Lynne Ramsay is another really talented director. Thats also, I think, Tilda Swinton's best work.

I found that movie from looking up You Were Never Really Here on IMDb then clicking the directors name to find her other movies.

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) - IMDb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242460/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Theres a lot of information on IMDb when you get looking around. That was how I found out we drove past areas where certain parts of the series Vikings was filmed when going for holidays the last few years in northern Ontario, Canada.

This is another one you might really enjoy if you havent seen it.

I haven't seen this, but I have known about this one for some time. Just never gotten round to it, not sure why, but I'll be sure to watch it.

IMDb is a great resource tool; I use it often. In the UK we're also lucky to have Film4 available on freeview. They show many unusual films and anything which I have heard nothing about, I'll generally watch.

Any of the films by Ben Wheatly are worth watching but his early films are superb. Kill List, Down Terrace and A Field In England are all must sees. A Field In England features the little known British actor Peter Ferdinando. He produces a great performance in another British film, Hyena. I'm sure you'd like it.

There's been a lot of very original film making in the last decade or two that's not often talked about. Michael Haneke and Lars Von Trier are on another level for me. Then there's Takashi Miike and Park Chan-Wook, who have also made some of the most memorable films I've ever seen. Masters of their craft, all.

Top Bottom