What's new

The King C. Gillette DE

I like that they've now produced two modern razors, but I just wish they made an original head design and not something that's an obvious knock-off. And I just don't like the way this one looks. I love barber pole knurling, but the length of the handle combined with the way it just stops halfway down isn't a good look to me.

I like that they've now produced two modern razors, but I just wish they made an original head design and not something that's an obvious knock-off. And I just don't like the way this one looks. I love barber pole knurling, but the length of the handle combined with the way it just stops halfway down isn't a good look to me.
Huh?
You want Gillette to reinvent to DE razor? Cause that sounds funny.
I’m sure if they came out with a new head design they would be demonize for forgetting their roots or something silly.

Huh?
You want Gillette to reinvent to DE razor? Cause that sounds funny.
I’m sure if they came out with a new head design they would be demonize for forgetting their roots or something silly.

I'm not demonizing them; I said I like that they're producing new razors. I haven't tried either one, but most people seem to suggest the heads are identical to either a DE89 or R89, i.e. a modern razor head already made by a German manufacturer. If what people say in that regard is true, I just kind of wish they'd produced an in-house design. Doesn't mean these don't shave well.

I'm not demonizing them; I said I like that they're producing new razors. I haven't tried either one, but most people seem to suggest the heads are identical to either a DE89 or R89, i.e. a modern razor head already made by a German manufacturer. If what people say in that regard is true, I just kind of wish they'd produced an in-house design. Doesn't mean these don't shave well.
It’s like you’re replying to someone else’s comment.
Who designed the head on the razor?
You said “seem to suggest” “if .... is true” then you jump to knowing who designed it to following up with your point of displeasure. You’re going out of your way to put a negative light on a razor you’ve never touched. Nothing you say is false but it also holds very little weight and breaks down to a negative opinion on an already demonize brand.

Outsourcing production to Muhle with your branding is not a knock-off. An unauthorized lesser quality copy is a knock-off.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Outsourcing production to Muhle with your branding is not a knock-off. An unauthorized lesser quality copy is a knock-off.

Ok, yeah, probably not a technically accurate choice of words. I just think it'd be cooler if they hadn't outsourced the head design/production, but had come up with their own. That's all I'm saying. It'd make me more interested in it; with the outsourced production, I sort of feel like, why wouldn't I just buy a Muhle then? I have no problem with Gillette in this situation, I really don't. I like their older razors. I like the fact that they're putting out newer razors. I kind of hope it leads to them producing some new ones entirely in-house. But yeah, "knock-off" is probably the wrong word.

It’s like you’re replying to someone else’s comment.
Who designed the head on the razor?
You said “seem to suggest” “if .... is true” then you jump to knowing who designed it to following up with your point of displeasure. You’re going out of your way to put a negative light on a razor you’ve never touched. Nothing you say is false but it also holds very little weight and breaks down to a negative opinion on an already demonize brand.

No, it was pretty clear I was replying to yours, with some additionally offered thoughts based on inferred topics that tend to surround this topic. You're acting like I'm crapping all over the razor, wildly castigating Gillette, etc. I'm just expressing my opinion on how I feel about the new razors and my level of interest. I DON'T HATE GILLETTE. I HAVE VERY LITTLE TO NO EMOTIONALLY CHARGED OPINIONS ABOUT ALMOST ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH GILLETTE (other than I love the Techs, New SC, and Flare Tip). I didn't even see the commercial that so many people have expressed disapproval of! IT'S. FINE. EVERYTHING'S. FIIIIINE.

Hopefully everyone can take a deep breath and count backwards from 10....

Anyway, I'm excited about this model (getting it Monday for my anniversary) and still HOPING to find a Heritage either in another run on Amazon, through the BST, or eBay (though I'm not paying $60 for one like I saw a few weeks back).

I do hope, as well, that they will come out with some more "traditional" Gillette style razors (TECH PLEASE or even a SS or NEW SC).

Just a couple of observations: First, I have the Gillette Heritage and this new Walgreens variant. I have been very happy with both of them, I'm a huge fan of the Muhle/Edwin Jagger R89 heads. Also, I love the short handle and cool case of the Heritage, but love the monogrammed head on this new model. Easy fix, I swapped the heads and now have a short handled razor with a sweet monogrammed head in a cool case. Second thing, I'm not a fan of long handles, when I first made the switch from the evil cartridge razors to the DE world, I found that the longer the handle, the more my muscle memory kicked in and I found myself applying too much pressure during my DE shaves, thus causing razor burn and irritation. Using short handles, it forced me to re-focus on my technique and got much better shaves. Skip ahead several years and now a longer handle doesn't cause me any issues, but I still prefer a short handle, given the choice. Whenever I get friends or family to make the switch, I always recommend that they get a short handle DE razor initially as it forces them to be totally aware of the handling of the new type of razor and to develop new shaving skills and techniques. Just wondering if others have noticed this in their DE shaving journey??

for those of you interested,

Just a couple of observations: First, I have the Gillette Heritage and this new Walgreens variant. I have been very happy with both of them, I'm a huge fan of the Muhle/Edwin Jagger R89 heads. Also, I love the short handle and cool case of the Heritage, but love the monogrammed head on this new model. Easy fix, I swapped the heads and now have a short handled razor with a sweet monogrammed head in a cool case. Second thing, I'm not a fan of long handles, when I first made the switch from the evil cartridge razors to the DE world, I found that the longer the handle, the more my muscle memory kicked in and I found myself applying too much pressure during my DE shaves, thus causing razor burn and irritation. Using short handles, it forced me to re-focus on my technique and got much better shaves. Skip ahead several years and now a longer handle doesn't cause me any issues, but I still prefer a short handle, given the choice. Whenever I get friends or family to make the switch, I always recommend that they get a short handle DE razor initially as it forces them to be totally aware of the handling of the new type of razor and to develop new shaving skills and techniques. Just wondering if others have noticed this in their DE shaving journey??
I started using short vintage handles and they remain my preference. If a modern manufacturer offers a 80mm handle that's what I'll get.

Ordered and arrived yesterday direct from UK Gillette website,
shave today loaded with a polsilver and haslinger Aloe soap
great shave, was very happy after first pass,
razor wise, I don’t worry about aesthetics and use a razorock teck 2 or a wilkinson sword new classic as the goto after starting with short handle techs.
this outperformed them both, great feedback, felt good in hand and had no problems moving it about. 3 passes and a very nice BBS

as for some fears from those that this is an oursourced head etc, this makes commercial sense, Gillette no longer have tooling to handle a full metal construction, most of their tooling will be based around plastic moulding. To retool would cost, this would reflect greatly on the unit cost, same goes for R&D for a new head By using this approach they can offer a product that ticks their boxes for performance and quality whilst offering the customer a reasonably priced product.

many companies outsource in all industries (ford do not make everything on their vehicle) or have their branding used under licence (Caterpillar do not make work boots)

then theres the advertising for beard control, at some point beardy will have a full shave and if the product works they may well look into this and find like minded communities such as this one, we to a certain extant are a done deal as a customer base....

IMO, YMMV other razors are available etc etc

I prefer shorter handles as well. My first DE was a 1904 Merkur and liked having my pinky cover the end of the handle when I shaved. Btw that handle is the most slipperyistestess one I’ve ever used. It’s long gone now. This new Gillette is indeed longer but thankfully not as slipperyerer others I’ve used.

First, I have the Gillette Heritage and this new Walgreens variant. I have been very happy with both of them, I'm a huge fan of the Muhle/Edwin Jagger R89 heads.

One of the reasons I'm excited to get one is I've never had an R89 razor and heard great things about them and seems like a great way to try one.

Also, I love the short handle and cool case of the Heritage, but love the monogrammed head on this new model. Easy fix, I swapped the heads and now have a short handled razor with a sweet monogrammed head in a cool case.

YES!

I love the common bar and LOVED that the Heritage pays homage to that. I don't so much mind a long handle, but I like a knurled handle better.

Plus I'm a huge fan of cases and that's a cool case.

If I'm able to get a Heritage I plan to put my King C etched cap on mine as well!

No, it was pretty clear I was replying to yours, with some additionally offered thoughts based on inferred topics that tend to surround this topic. You're acting like I'm crapping all over the razor, wildly castigating Gillette, etc. I'm just expressing my opinion on how I feel about the new razors and my level of interest. I DON'T HATE GILLETTE. I HAVE VERY LITTLE TO NO EMOTIONALLY CHARGED OPINIONS ABOUT ALMOST ANYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH GILLETTE (other than I love the Techs, New SC, and Flare Tip). I didn't even see the commercial that so many people have expressed disapproval of! IT'S. FINE. EVERYTHING'S. FIIIIINE.
I’m only responding to your words and actually didn’t ask about how you felt. I guess I could/should of. I could of told you that I don’t love Gillette or going to the beach but why would I.
I guess any comment not in total agreement with someone else’s come off as an attack nowadays. I’m not here trying to defend Gillette. Maybe it wasn’t the words we used but how we used em that came off aggressive.

I’m only responding to your words and actually didn’t ask about how you felt. I guess I could/should of. I could of told you that I don’t love Gillette or going to the beach but why would I.
I guess any comment not in total agreement with someone else’s come off as an attack nowadays. I’m not here trying to defend Gillette. Maybe it wasn’t the words we used but how we used em that came off aggressive.

I guess I can dig that. I mean, we seem to be more or less "on the same side" of the issue, i.e. neither of us is trying to tear down Gillette here. I just tried to offer my opinion about why my level of interest was what it was in the most innocuous way possible. It's cool, man.

To get back on topic(ish), I have a question about the Heritage razor: is the handle to it solid or hollow? Because since it's basically the same style as the handles commonly found on the News, I'm wondering if I could screw it onto my New SC head and mostly preserve the style but get the weight I like. God, that would be awesome. Has anyone tried that by any chance?

There was a guy years back that sold a brick in a cage, as the perfect pet. He timed his release with Christmas and sold enough over a few months to retire a millionaire.

To get back on topic(ish), I have a question about the Heritage razor: is the handle to it solid or hollow? Because since it's basically the same style as the handles commonly found on the News, I'm wondering if I could screw it onto my New SC head and mostly preserve the style but get the weight I like. God, that would be awesome. Has anyone tried that by any chance?

This thread has some detailed information about the weight.

It appears the Heritage handle is heavier than the NEW common bar.

EJ89 = Total 74, Handle 45, Base Plate 17, Top Cap 12
Gillette Heritage = Total 63, Handle 31, Base Plate 18, Top Cap 14
New Short OC = Total 54, Handle 21, Base Plate 18, Top Cap 15

Top Bottom