What's new

The King C. Gillette DE

I’ll test it out tomorrow. It’s got a good weight to it as others have noted and it’s all in the handle. Feels more substantial than the new Wilkinson Sword Classic, which I paid roughly the same for.
The Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO had a long handle too; this razor must be about the same overall length so would you confirm that too?
Would you confirm if there were any sort of instructions in the box, perhaps in the compartment behind the razor. Someone asked this question and I am intrigued that P&G would not send out basic intructions for use; it is the Gillette way to provide instructions especially as some of these razors will be bought by cartridge users.
Look forward to your review.

The Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO had a long handle too; this razor must be about the same overall length so would you confirm that too?
Would you confirm if there were any sort of instructions in the box, perhaps in the compartment behind the razor. Someone asked this question and I am intrigued that P&G would not send out basic intructions for use; it is the Gillette way to provide instructions especially as some of these razors will be bought by cartridge users.
Look forward to your review.

Hi Invicta.

I looked and for love nor money couldn’t find a ruler or a tape measure! Mind you I can’t remember the last time I used either at home.

I did the next best thing and took some side by side photos. The Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO is slightly longer than the King C!
7DC4F85D-5FD4-4D43-905E-6895D8621DBB.jpeg

On the left is the Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO, on the right it’s the King C Gillette.

FD14F6A5-FBAA-4A1F-B399-453FAF983313.jpeg

Top - King C Gillette, Bottom - Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO

I also dug out some my other razors.

D7AEA8D4-F0EA-44C8-A4C2-8FBB1DAE782C.jpeg

Top - King C Gillette, Bottom - Edwin Jagger DE89

64252B58-12EC-406F-8C24-B5013F70A263.jpeg

Top - King C Gillette, Bottom - Parker 99R

8168F26C-4298-498D-9F73-E205E4253CE4.jpeg

Top - King C Gillette, Bottom - Muhle R41

Instructions?
There are definitely no instructions included in the King C Gillette box! Nothing behind the insert, which holds the razor and pack of blades:
85E19F76-82C2-425F-8EFD-811F8846E0C3.jpeg

Took a picture of that bit of paper between the top and bottom plates though, which does say ‘please read manual...’

2B4CEF09-48B2-4F57-B609-E97CE9EAF047.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Invicta.

I looked and for love nor money couldn’t find a ruler or a tape measure! Mind you I can’t remember the last time I used either at home.

I did the next best thing and took some side by side photos. The Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO is slightly longer than the King C!
View attachment 1105410
On the left is the Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO, on the right it’s the King C Gillette.

View attachment 1105419

View attachment 1105416

View attachment 1105417

View attachment 1105418

Instructions?
There are definitely no instructions included in the King C Gillette box! Nothing behind the insert, which holds the razor and pack of blades:
View attachment 1105422
Took a picture of that bit of paper between the top and bottom plates though, which does say ‘please read manual...’

View attachment 1105420

Yep, I figured the brass threads and posts were a dead giveaway where that head was manufactured before I opened my KCG box, but that last picture you posted pretty much sums up any lingering questions about whether Gillette got the heads from Mühle or some factory in China that makes clones sold on Aliexpress. You’d think the Ad guys would have learned their lesson on Amazon when they first described the Heritage handle being made in the US before adding that the head was made in Germany.

Someone forgot to mail the German language manual instructions to Cincinnati, oops. Geez, that would have probably been funnier seeing them in there.

Thanks for all the photos.
The Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO is slightly longer than the King C!
That Wilkinson handle is truly very long, it needs giant hands to manage that razor.
I have seen that paper insert before but no instructions is poor communication with the pakaging department. Maybe the pakaging depot in China could not read the English or German communication sent from P&G asking for instructions to be put in the box; very likely.
Someone forgot to mail the German language manual instructions to Cincinnati, oops. Geez, that would have probably been funnier seeing them in there.
Ooops is definitely the case.
I expect instructions will appear on Gillette's web sites soon.

Oh no. They are all yours. I'm in to the vintage models and don't feel any love or desire for these. I can stretch it maybe another 40 years (if all goes well) before I move on but even that won't be enough the be an sought-after vintage to me.

Seems pretty harsh. I mean most of us all have and love vintage Gillette's. A lot can happen in 40 years lol. Ten years ago Fatboy's were all the rage. Twenty years before that nobody cared. This is a modern razor and a new release by Gillette. In quite some time. Even if it's a "clone", it's still probably the best modern DE sold in drugstores, at least in the US, since God knows when.

Hi Invicta.

View attachment 1105410

View attachment 1105419

View attachment 1105416

View attachment 1105417

View attachment 1105418

Instructions?
View attachment 1105422

View attachment 1105420

Happy you got one so quickly! Thank you for the comparison pics! Great job, sir!

I also couldn't resist taking the plunge as I would much rather have Gillette supporting (or exploiting) the DE industry than opposing it.

Got home this afternoon to find it had arrived (ordered yesterday afternoon - that's pretty speedy!), looking forward to putting it into action tomorrow.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'd pick one up, but I don't have a beard! :laugh: I know it's been stated and debated, but the front of the box says the razor was "designed for edging"....not shaving. If I'm new to this arena, I can't envision shaving my entire face with an edger. I know what we are all saying, but while it's just "marketing", it says on the front and back of the box that it's for clean lines by sideburns and beard lines. Although I think it would be difficult to use if you're looking for something to help you with a beard like this:
wesbentleyfacialhair1.png

As I navel-gaze about this Gillette entry, I think it could also be interpreted as "hey, that 'old' DE technology is fine for trimming your beard and side-burns, but you need an infinite number of blades on a razor to shave your face".

"hey, that 'old' DE technology is fine for trimming your beard and side-burns, but you need an infinite number of blades on a razor to shave your face"

Yes, this irritates me too. Hopefully if enough people buy it and post reviews mentioning that it shaves better than the latest x+1 more blade cartridge with heater unit, vibration motor and bluetooth they may see the light. Doubtful but you have to hope

I'd pick one up, but I don't have a beard! :laugh: I know it's been stated and debated, but the front of the box says the razor was "designed for edging"....not shaving. If I'm new to this arena, I can't envision shaving my entire face with an edger. I know what we are all saying, but while it's just "marketing", it says on the front and back of the box that it's for clean lines by sideburns and beard lines. Although I think it would be difficult to use if you're looking for something to help you with a beard like this:
View attachment 1105582

As I navel-gaze about this Gillette entry, I think it could also be interpreted as "hey, that 'old' DE technology is fine for trimming your beard and side-burns, but you need an infinite number of blades on a razor to shave your face".

The carts have the same edging terminology on their boxes also with this new campaign. It’s just a beard grab. Gillette understands that people whom already have shaved with DE and carts would not be confused about whatever razors they have already used. Most people with beards shaved before growing one.

The Fusion Beard Edger.

Attachments

• EDF02283-DE07-492C-BF1C-E12ED4FEE696.jpeg
    EDF02283-DE07-492C-BF1C-E12ED4FEE696.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 0FDA8359-4B29-4FDC-91B5-5BD431F07A59.jpeg
    0FDA8359-4B29-4FDC-91B5-5BD431F07A59.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 31
View attachment 1105582

How would I use up my soaps looking like that? Shoot!! I have a hard enough time stopping myself from shaving my head EVERY DAY!!!! And I have a full head of hair.

I used my King C for the first time last night with the King C blades and I must admit, its a delightful razor. Its just aggressive enough but isnt excessively so.
I dont love the handle, I find the knurling too be not deep enough and not far enough down the handle, so its kind of slippery. Im going to swap the handle out on mine with a Razorock Bulldog handle because it has much better knurling.
All in all though, its a really good razor for the money. I just wish Gillette would have used a handle more like the one that the Heritage has. The Heritage has a great handle on it.

Hello!

Well I finally got around to trying it out and I’m very pleased to say I really enjoyed shaving with the King C Gillette DE.
I’d rank it just below medium in terms of aggression - you can feel a bit of a bite but not too much.
Tried out one of the King C blades that come with it and they’re fine.

I deliberately made sure my fingers and palm were wetter than usual for this shave to see if this was a slippery customer. I didn’t find it slippery at all. I checked where the placement of my fingers was midway through the shave and my ring finger and pinky were on the non-knurled portion of the handle.

I have to say compared to the Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO, if I were going to recommend picking up a DE razor from a bricks and mortar store - because I’m guessing these will eventually end up in our equivalent of the likes of Walgreens - there’s no contest. I’d recommend the Gillette. It feels more substantial in your hand and worth what you’ve paid for it and I am impressed with the aggression level.

Like MTom said if this was paired up with a Feather you’d likely have one heck of a great razor for not that much money at all.

Gave mine a whirl this morning...

Loaded with a Sainsburys own brand blade (Dorco) as I have a bucket load of them I picked up due to bonus Nectar points!

To keep it short I'll pretty much echo what has been said by others - a little more aggressive than the Wilkinson TTO and a more solid feel about it, quite weighty in fact.

I confess I did struggle slightly with slippiness, though that may be in part due to lack of familiarity and a longer handle than I am used to.

Decided to keep it at 2 passes for it's first use, WTG & ATG, which resulted in a comfortable, completely irritation free, just shy of DFS finish. With a little practice I'm confident of DFS from 2 passes and sure it would do BBS with 3.

In the tougher spots I had to work a little harder than usual so perhaps a sharper blade is called for.

Overall very pleased and will be posting a review on the Gillette website later where I will also urge people to use it as a shaver and not just an edger.

Gave mine a whirl this morning...

Loaded with a Sainsburys own brand blade (Dorco) as I have a bucket load of them I picked up due to bonus Nectar points!

To keep it short I'll pretty much echo what has been said by others - a little more aggressive than the Wilkinson TTO and a more solid feel about it, quite weighty in fact.

I confess I did struggle slightly with slippiness, though that may be in part due to lack of familiarity and a longer handle than I am used to.

Decided to keep it at 2 passes for it's first use, WTG & ATG, which resulted in a comfortable, completely irritation free, just shy of DFS finish. With a little practice I'm confident of DFS from 2 passes and sure it would do BBS with 3.

In the tougher spots I had to work a little harder than usual so perhaps a sharper blade is called for.

Overall very pleased and will be posting a review on the Gillette website later where I will also urge people to use it as a shaver and not just an edger.

Great idea! I’ve already sent them a message directly to their U.K. Twitter account to give them some praise for it. They replied back quickly too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom