What's new

The History of Multiple Pass Shaving

I remember my dad using a twin blade Gillette cartridge in the 80's (hey, I'm not so old) and he would always go again in the evening if he had something special on. He was a builder, so maybe the quick one-pass was enough for him for that.

I agree. I think most of our dads (mine born 1927 and still kicking) were one and done shavers. We all definitely obsess about closeness much more than they did. But, it just feels SO good to get the BBS, doesn't it?

Absolutely agree about the obsession. But if Lobachevsky was obsessed in 1812 (thanks to Ouch for the history) then we are upholding a fine tradition. With regard to to feel good BBS, I've always loved Polarbeard's former signature "When I leave the bathroom, it's BBS or mortal wounds".

Cheers, George

The multi pass shave was invented in late 1812 by the then twenty year old Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky, who would go on to become the father of non-Euclidean geometry. His seminal work on the use of hyperbolic geometry for face mapping has gone largely unappreciated.

He may have been one of the first to study it from a mathematical prospective, however ancient manuscripts describe multiple shave strokes to obtain a smooth shave. I can't provide specific references, however I have read the comments regarding ancient grooming, especially in religious websites, where it was discussed.

I have no idea but when I do 2 passes WTG/XTG and feel my face with the grain it feels BBS. This is probably all that might be necessary. You could even do one pass WTG w/touchups and you still feel that BBS with the grain. When you obsess to feel BBS downward, sideward, and upward you can get in trouble more easily with irritation, bumps, weepers, etc. Just my opinion of course. I give the three pass shave a try once in awhile though and seem to do ok with it.

My grandfather used a straight and he was a two pass shaver. My father used a DE and he was a two pass shaver. When I first started out 50+ years ago I was a two pass shaver. All of us did a WTG pass and ATG pass. My grandfather had a very tough beard and skin to match. I don't think I ever saw a nick or weeper when he shaved. My father, on the other hand, would emerge from the bathroom on most mornings with toilet paper on his face to stop the bleeding. When I first started out I had some weepers but not too bad. Years later I added another pass and then later still another XTG pass and then another XTG before my ATG pass.

There was a thread a few months back with a link to an old codger master barber who said they NEVER shave against the grain and advised against it. I agree. The few times I did it I had major ingrown hairs. I do a one pass WTG and then on my jowls I do an extra pass bottom to top that is a combo of WTG & XTG. Works for me. After all, the hair will be back tomorrow.
+1

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The 1905 publication "Shaving Made Easy" talks about two pass shaving with a straight.

If you desire a really clean shave, you must go over the face the second time. Strop the razor a few times before beginning. Lather the face as before, though it is unnecessary to rub the lather in with the fingers. Simply put it on with the brush.

And in true measure of the YMMV adage, goes on in the last chapter to say about possible causes of irritation;

Too close shaving is a frequent cause, and those who are troubled in this way will do well to shave over the face but once.

As multiple pass shaving had been an established practice with a straight razor before the advent of the safety razor, I see no logical reason why men would not have continued multiple pass shaves, and passed that on to their progeny once safety razors became more popular.

There's a wealth of historical perspective emerging, which is what I had hoped for. Thanks to all participants, and keep it coming Guys.

Cheers, George

As multiple pass shaving had been an established practice with a straight razor before the advent of the safety razor, I see no logical reason why men would not have continued multiple pass shaves, and passed that on to their progeny once safety razors became more popular.

Absolutely agree, but is there any evidence as to when the transfer from 2 to 3 passes took place?

Cheers, George

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Raised on electrics, my first DE razor was a Gillette Tech in the U. S. Army in 1960. Self taught, I did a hybrid 1 pass shave (from sideburn down and forward towards center) and passed inspection. I guess ignorance is bliss and there was a lot of talk about "5 O'clock Shadow" in those years.
Joined B&B and saw this stuff about WTG, XTG and ATG??? and "beard reduction"!!! Thus enlightened, I no longer have a "5 O'clock Shadow"; I have now settled on a 2 pass WTG & ATG shave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Absolutely agree, but is there any evidence as to when the transfer from 2 to 3 passes took place?

Cheers, George

I'm a believer in human nature, and don't think that obsessive behavior with shaving is limited to the folks here at B&B! :lol:
If you combine that with the fact that there is, and always has been people who think that if one aspirin is good, two must be better, I think that triple or quadruple passes in shaving is not unusual.
I personally believe, though I have no evidence to support it, that what probably contributed to mainstreaming it was better quality blade availability, and the option of conducting several passes with less irritation due to blade sharpness.

He may have been one of the first to study it from a mathematical prospective, however ancient manuscripts describe multiple shave strokes to obtain a smooth shave. I can't provide specific references, however I have read the comments regarding ancient grooming, especially in religious websites, where it was discussed.
I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be a joke - hyperbolic geometry for face mapping?!

interesting reading.
after a few months of this i still get some irritation if i go for a full third pass.
i usually just stick with 2 if i can.

Anyone ever do one pass only, but entirely ATG? I used to do this with carts and suffered no ill effects.

I too shaved entirely against the grain when I used a Mach 3. It worked just fine for my normal routine. Two or three passes with as cart gives much better results, though.

I think I tried it once with a DE and had bad irritation. However, I don't shave every day. With only a one-day growth, it might be all right.

Seems to me that wet shaving for most these days is a kind of hobby and pastime. I feel modern wet shavers tend to have multiple soaps, brushes, razors and most tend to do multiple passes. Seems the gents back then saw shaving only as a part of their morning routine and had little variety in their gear. They found a soap they liked or could afford and stuck with what worked. I admire that and I admire the thrift of a one pass shave. I will say however that with all the great products avaliable it's fun and exciting to aquire large variety in the den. I wish my grandfather was still with us, I would love to get his thoughts on this. Great post and a really intersting read.

Top Bottom