What's new

The Great Louisiana Flood of 2016

Well the cabinets were supposed to go in yesterday but there was an issue. I turns out the estimator didn't measure correctly and some of the cabinets are not the right size. The owner of the company is ensuring us that he will make it right. They are giving us a further discount and are building the new cabinets immediately. They are supposed to go in today. I am not too upset, because it is hard to be mad at a guy who says he will make it right. That and...well, I haven't moved in it yet so it isn't like I will be using them. Plus I am really not looking forward to painting them...ugh!

Can you spray paint them before they are intstalled? He innocently asked..I hate painting too.
They are pretty much delivering and then installing. It's not really the painting that I am dreading...though that kind of sucks too, but with cabinets, you have to be SO PERFECT. Any little drip or streak is noticeable.

Sent from the Danger Phone

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's a shame about the setback, but it sounds like it'll all turn out well. I agree that it's hard to get too upset about someone who will go out of his way to make a mistake right without argument.

Let the good times roll!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I agree, Don. Streaking in the kitchen is a bad thing .... besides the visibility through the window, there is always the danger of hot bacon fat splattering on your unprotected body.

I just found your "journal" and read through your adventure thus far. Having learned about you through 3 truths and a lie I knew you would take this challenge head on and over come ...but I was holding my breath as I read along. I can't even imagine how I would even get started yet you are so very close to being finished. Absolutely amazing.
I now know another artisan I MUST buy from simply because they cared enough to do for you what the did.
I have no idea what razors you described as being bent (don't recognize the names) but if I have a razor in my collection that you might want, consider it yours. (Do you want a Fatboy? I have one) brush? Straight razor?

In addition to being mortified at the thought of what you went through and impressed with how you have progressed, I am SO happy the conversation has turned to BACON. I love BACON ...and I HAVE been christened with hot fat upon my bare stomach. Alas the price of tasty food.

Good job!

Chris [MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] I am glad you have read the thread and have "enjoyed" it. This is just a place for me to vent my thoughts and catalog my progress. Voice my ups and downs. Although I have to admit that the while initially it was all one big down...the rebuild hasn't had too many issues. I am very appreciative of your generosity for offering me some gear. There have been some kind members her at B&B that have done great things for me and I don't want to take advantage of a situation. I have more than enough soap for the time being and I have been given a couple of razors. I still appreciate the offer. Besides, I don't have a ton of room at present to store a ton of shaving gear.

That reminds me, I haven't been able to take pictures and post some items that some have given me. I will get this done as soon as I get a break from the action, which hopefully is soon.

So cabinet redux is supposed to happen today. Also, the guy that put my flooring down should give me an estimate on back splash and tile surround either today or tomorrow. I have all my exterior doors in and waiting to be installed. I have to mow my lawn today or tomorrow so there is that...

As soon as the cabinets go in, they can measure for counter tops. Then they can cut and install, which should be about two weeks. Looks like we will have to put another coat of paint on in the main living areas and we have to pain the cabinets. The only thing major left to do is to get the doors and trim installed. So things are going along pretty well. We have appliances being delivered on October 22nd and we just ordered some furniture that hopefully will be ready on the first week of November. We still have to buy a bed or bedroom set. But the rest of the furnishings came come from stuff we saved or just a little at time.

All in all I really can't complain to the speed of things happening. I really owe most of this to the wife. She has definitely been the planner and I have been the doer. Thanks again guys to listening to me meander along in my thoughts.

Okay, it's been about a week and we had some slight problems with the cabinets. They had to remeasure and remake some of them. Well they came and installed them today. There are some finishing things that still need done with them, but the are in nonetheless. Granite guy came and measured for counter tops today also and those should go in on Monday! Crossing my fingers.

Here are a couple of pics of the un-painted cabinets. I didn't show the bathroom ones, because....well, they are bathrooms. :001_smile

$cabinet 1.jpg$cabinet 2.jpg

They look fantastic. I know you don't relish the idea of painting them but once done you will be SO close to a perfect kitchen and bath.

Sorry I haven't u[dated as much lately...to tell you the truth I have been super busy. The wife and I have been painting cabinets which is proving just as difficult as I expected. The next couple of days I will try to update this thread with pictures and every thing. But for now I have a lesson in remodeling for you all.

The word of the day is corbel. What the "H" "E" double hockey sticks is a corbel. Well then, let me explain. A corbel is that fancy bracket that helps support the ledge on your island or your counter tops. They are usually carved with intricate detail out of wood. Evidently women go crazy over these and my wife is no exception. They can be relatively inexpensive, but they are usually really expensive. See below for a pick of my corbels and I will let you decide if they were cheap or not. The one thing that I cannot stress enough is that they are a pain in the rear to paint. These are the corbels om our island before counter tops and before paint.

$Corbles.jpg

Top Bottom