What's new

The Great Louisiana Flood of 2016

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Plus it makes me feel better that a good contractor is taking care of things.

Peace of mind and quality work are worth a lot more than you pay for either. It's too easy to waste your money by spending a little less of shoddy work.

It's good to hear how quickly things are moving along for you, Don!

Thanks all for the great comments and words of encouragement. I wasn't able to head out to the house yesterday. I was helping the person I am staying with rebuild his deck (his floated away during the flood...no kidding), it is the least I can do for letting the wife and I stay. The SWMBO was at the house though and said that guys were hanging sheet rock. They still have to float and tape the sheet rock, but it looks like I will have walls in a day or two...

We also ordered appliances yesterday (thanks to my Mother). We didn't go crazy and pretty much bought the same things we had, nothing fancy. We did do a little upgrade on the Stove and the dishwasher. The oven is a convection oven but was only a little more than what we had before, so it was a no brainer. The dishwasher we did upgrade a bit becuase we hated the one we had. Looks like we have a delivery date for less than three weeks away.

We are waiting on one more quote from a cabinet guy. But honestly, the quality of work both the cabinet guys do is great so if they are relatively close in price we are going with the one who has the shortest timeline.

There are a lot of moving parts right now and we hope we are not missing anything.

I want to thank you all for letting me have a voice in this circumstance. I know it's not the happiest of topics, but I know some of you are reading this. Believe it or not, this thread has been somewhat therapeutic. Thanks again!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Here's hoping it keeps going so well, Don. Gosh, it sounds like you'll be celebrating Columbus Day and Canadian Thanksgiving in your rebuilt kitchen!

I am very excited! We have Walls! Okay, they are not finished walls, but they are walls nonetheless. That sheet rock went up quick. The guy said probably not today, but tomorrow the guys who tape and float should be at the house. Good things are happening.

Talked to the place where we ordered two of our exterior doors and they said it might be another three weeks. That poses a bit of a problem because the guys that do our doors and trim might be here before then.

On the bright side, got a quote from a cabinet maker on our kitchen lowers, island, single sink bathroom cabinet, and our double sink master bedroom cabinet. And it is about $1500 less expensive than the guy who originally did them. I have seen the work of the guy who quoted us the lesser amount and they were every bit as good as what we had before. I think we will save the money (probably put it into counter tops). It's going to be about four to five weeks though. At any rate things are moving along.

Today, I get to meet the termite guy and have him do the whole nine yards. Also, I found a pile of debris in the back of our neighborhood that has a bunch of trash cans in it. I am going to look for our serialized trash can from the waste company. Anyway...here are some pics of my "walls."

$Walls 1.jpg$Walls 2.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
[MENTION=93173]dangerousdon[/MENTION]- things are looking up. It is cool that the cabinets are coming in cheaper, allowing you to upgrade counter tops. I will be doing a lot of what you are doing now over the next few years. Luckily, mine will be voluntary. The house will be paid of by January, then I am going to start squirreling cash in a safety deposit box for refurb time.

Just a quick update and no pictures...sorry ladies and gents. The sheet rock has been hung and the finishers showed up yesterday. They said they would have the whole house taped, muded, and sanded in about three days. I will say that I have been very impressed with all of those who have worked on our house already...very courteous and sympathetic. Plus it seems like their work is really top notch!

Additionally, we put a deposit down on a cabinet guy. They said it would be about four to five weeks which is better than the eight to ten months I was originally told. We are starting to look at granite for our counter tops now.

Things are definitely moving along!

Thank you for sharing your odyssey with us, Don. Certainly, we can all empathize with what you and your family are going through. It's hard for me to grasp that thousands of other families are doing the very same things as you are. Mind boggling, really. Good to see that things are coming together for you. :001_smile

Great news, Don.

Today I stopped by the house to check on the mail and to check progress. The finishers are progressing nicely and the walls are looking more finished. But the best news so far was what was missing. Out in front of everyone's house is a big pile of trash from demolition. This includes appliances as well as the refrigerator and/or freezer. These are all full of food just rotting in the shells. Most people have duct tapped the doors and lids closed...I opted to use a ratchet strap...I did not want that thing to open up. Anyway...I looked out the window and discovered that the foul smelling beasts around the neighborhood were gone. That was music to my nostrils. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherwin Williams has there twice a year sale on paint and the wife and I decided to purchase our paint now to save a little money. We bought 10 gallons of primer (the primer wasn't on sale and if we need more it will be the same price later on), 10 gallons of tinted house paint, five gallons of paint for baseboards and trim, and a gallon for two of our exterior doors. It originally rang up to a little over $900. After the sale price, a couple of Visa Gift Cards that were given to us ($100 and $50), and a $10 coupon I found (yes...I will use a $10 coupon on even such a large order), the final price that we came out of pocket was about just a little over $400. I will take that savings anytime. Yeah I know, some of you will say that I could have gotten a better price elsewhere, and I might have. But we checked and our sale price was still a little better than a couple of other places and we had our exact color scheme codes from our builder which was from Sherwin Williams. At any rate...the wife and I are very excited.

This morning we get to talk with another flooring guy to see how much he will charge to install our already purchased flooring material. After that, if there are no workers in the house, then i will attempt to clean the floors a bit. And then hopefully I will be able to watch some college football! Geaux Tigers!

Top Bottom