What's new

The Great Louisiana Flood of 2016

I haven't been posting as regularly as I would like lately. So I apologize for that. The wife finished up most of the caulking yesterday (baseboards, door frames, window sills and trim, etc). And yes you heard me correct...the wife finished it up. Mr. dangerouson is not allowed to touch a caulking gun. She says I make too much of a mess. I guess it's much like in the way I am not allowed to hang pictures anymore because I either make too many holes or too big a hole. The wife will usually make some off handed comment like, "Don smash!" Whatever that means. :001_rolle We have cleaned out the garage (well we took everything out and placed it in a way that the contents are no longer in the center), and pressure washed the concrete. Man, you don't know how dirty something is until you clean it. We also pressure washed the exterior of the house...got that clean again. We have appliances now and the wife is thrilled. The backslash is now grouted and man does it look good. If any of you are looking to do white subway tile...do yourself a favor and go with a grey grout...it makes the white really stand out. Yesterday I raked the area of our yard that used to be the debris/trash pile so that I can go get a yard of soil today and start fixing that part. Which is what I really want to talk about.

One of the things that I wanted to do with this thread is not only talk about the physical updates to the house, but I wanted to try to capture some of the emotional and mental aspects of this treacherous journey. I'm not sure I have really done a good job at that. This entire "sojourn" has been a series of ups and downs. Definitely more downs in the beginning and just recently, we are having more ups. I really thought I was way past the sadness of this whole adventure. I mean, we are back living in the house and minus a bit of furniture, things are relatively normal. But yesterday, as mentioned above, I was raking the front yard trying to get rid of the fine glass and tile fragments and other sharp trash that still remained, when I came across one of the wife's earrings. I immediately felt a sadness come over me. It wasn't an expensive earring and to be honest, I am not sure I recall her ever wearing it. But it represented a life that once was. For better or worse, I can honestly say that my life has been changed forever. The emotional toll this has taken on me, the wife, and our marriage, has been almost too much to bare. Things have been said that can't ever be taken back, and actions have been performed that will always be remembered. These were the things that came to me as I stood in the front yard holding an earring that had been packed in mud and trash for the last three months. I quickly got over it and went back to the task at hand. But it made me wonder if I will ever get over this incident or not. I know it has only been a few months and we are still in the rebuilding phase. But I just wonder.

All of that being said, I woke up this morning, let the dogs out to do their business. Made my morning coffee and then opened up Badger & Blade to read comments, both silly and serious. And I realized, that if I am doing these "normal" things...well then, life can't be all that bad!

Thanks Badger & Blade for listening.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the update! Piece of advice: GUARD THAT MARRIAGE. I will pray for you right now, and will continue to as His Spirit leads. All the other stuff in life is fluff. GUARD THAT MARRIAGE!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
You have been through a lot and I think you both are handling it really well. If theres times of despair and anguish, i think that is normal. Please keep holding each other close. Its times like these that people can use a loving touch even when we dont think we can give it. I pray for you guys that time can heal all wounds. I know you will come out better in the end.

Kindly,
Adam

Thanks for the update! Piece of advice: GUARD THAT MARRIAGE. I will pray for you right now, and will continue to as His Spirit leads. All the other stuff in life is fluff. GUARD THAT MARRIAGE!

You have been through a lot and I think you both are handling it really well. If theres times of despair and anguish, i think that is normal. Please keep holding each other close. Its times like these that people can use a loving touch even when we dont think we can give it. I pray for you guys that time can heal all wounds. I know you will come out better in the end.

Kindly,
Adam

Thanks Dave and Adam. Our marriage is fine...and I think this whole ordeal will actually strengthen it. But a lot has come out and sometimes it is a bit to process. But in the end, we sit down and talk about it and figure out a way to resolve our issues. In some ways it is refreshing to get it all out there. It's hard, but I think out of all of it comes strength.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks Dave and Adam. Our marriage is fine...and I think this whole ordeal will actually strengthen it. But a lot has come out and sometimes it is a bit to process. But in the end, we sit down and talk about it and figure out a way to resolve our issues. In some ways it is refreshing to get it all out there. It's hard, but I think out of all of it comes strength.
Absolutely.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Sounds to me like you are one blessed man. My lovely bride, "The War Department" and I have been in a tough stretch for a bit of time, about 2 years: health, job changes, ailing parents. Long story short: I was NOTHING before her and would more than likely be dead. I definitely married up! The key for me is to remember her love language: acts of service. Seems to me you both are speaking THAT language! You are both stronger than I in many ways. Now go hug your wife!!!

Last night the wife and I put on a second coat of paint in the living room, dining room, hallway, and kitchen. It was well worth the time spent last night for a few reasons:

1. It looks SOOO much better. When I paint, I always hate putting that second coat on, but it is one of those things you have to do.
2. We get to mount a new TV on the wall. We hit up Costco yesterday for their "Black Friday" deals on TVs. Got a decent one for a good price.
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY...Our Sofa and recliner came in and I am picking them up today!

The furniture is going to be awesome...I know it. The recliner is one I picked out and, as a large guy, it is plenty wide enough for my big rear end. The chair is 46 inches wide! So today our house will be shaping up a bit more. There is a trick to all of this however. The LSU game starts at noon today. The warehouse to pick up the furniture opens at 11:00 AM. I need to make sure that I am there right when they open up. Have both items loaded on my truck (I hope both fit together). Then get back to the house, unload, and place in the furniture where it goes. All of this before kick off. I know it's a tall order, but I am determined to make it happen. Wish me luck!

Last night the wife and I put on a second coat of paint in the living room, dining room, hallway, and kitchen. It was well worth the time spent last night for a few reasons:

1. It looks SOOO much better. When I paint, I always hate putting that second coat on, but it is one of those things you have to do.
2. We get to mount a new TV on the wall. We hit up Costco yesterday for their "Black Friday" deals on TVs. Got a decent one for a good price.
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY...Our Sofa and recliner came in and I am picking them up today!

The furniture is going to be awesome...I know it. The recliner is one I picked out and, as a large guy, it is plenty wide enough for my big rear end. The chair is 46 inches wide! So today our house will be shaping up a bit more. There is a trick to all of this however. The LSU game starts at noon today. The warehouse to pick up the furniture opens at 11:00 AM. I need to make sure that I am there right when they open up. Have both items loaded on my truck (I hope both fit together). Then get back to the house, unload, and place in the furniture where it goes. All of this before kick off. I know it's a tall order, but I am determined to make it happen. Wish me luck!

I am seeing this at 12:05 wondering if you are seated all comfy watching the game, or still saying nasty words at that huge chair trying to get it through the door. :lol:

Sounds like it's coming together good Don! :thumbup:

I am seeing this at 12:05 wondering if you are seated all comfy watching the game, or still saying nasty words at that huge chair trying to get it through the door. [emoji38]

Sounds like it's coming together good Don! [emoji106]
I'm an hour behind you. But I have the furniture in the truck and heading home. It's going to be close.

Sent from the Danger Phone

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. Did you make it in time for the game?

Oh, and after spending 5 hours hand sanding and polishing one of the three sections of my own counter top, I have decided if there is a next time, I'm going the route you did and paying someone else. :lol:

$hc_1479687454548.jpg

So.....How was the game????[emoji16]

I did make it in time for the game, though I was unpacking the sofa and recliner while I was watching the first half. The game was not that much fun to watch...unfortunately. But hey...got my furniture! :thumbup:

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. Did you make it in time for the game?

Oh, and after spending 5 hours hand sanding and polishing one of the three sections of my own counter top, I have decided if there is a next time, I'm going the route you did and paying someone else. :lol:

View attachment 704011

But it looks great! I can't imagine doing that kind of work myself.

But it looks great! I can't imagine doing that kind of work myself.

Thank you! I'll be honest though, every time I start working on the drywall, or the floor tiles, or the finishing, or the plumbing, I am always reminded of why I don't do that for a living anymore. :lol:

Especially since I broke my nose trying to put in the new plumbing for my sink.... :cursing:

It seems like the more I feel comfortable at home, the more work there is to do. I am so sick and tired of painting! I will, in the future, start building a painting fund, that way if I ever have to paint again, I will have the funds to hire someone to do it. This holiday weekend the wife and I put a second coat of paint on the bedrooms and bathrooms. Painted some of our interior doors and the wife painted an exterior door. And believe it or not, there is still a good bit more painting to do. Beyond that, we started to unpack some boxes and totes to find that some things we hoped to save we had to throw away anyway. It's not that big of a deal, it's just a little disappointing. On that note...we put up some outside Christmas decorations. I feel like it is my duty to try to get the neighborhood back to normal as much as I can. There are a lot of people living here, but are not in their houses yet. They have set up travel trailers or have had FEMA set up full size trailers to live in while their houses are being rebuilt. I will try to get a pic tonight for you guys. It's nothing overly spectacular, just enough to know that we care. Thanks for listening guys! We are nearing the home stretch in this journey and I really couldn't have kept my sanity without you guys offering encouragement and saying prayers. Thank you guys!

It seems like the more I feel comfortable at home, the more work there is to do. I am so sick and tired of painting! I will, in the future, start building a painting fund, that way if I ever have to paint again, I will have the funds to hire someone to do it. This holiday weekend the wife and I put a second coat of paint on the bedrooms and bathrooms. Painted some of our interior doors and the wife painted an exterior door. And believe it or not, there is still a good bit more painting to do. Beyond that, we started to unpack some boxes and totes to find that some things we hoped to save we had to throw away anyway. It's not that big of a deal, it's just a little disappointing. On that note...we put up some outside Christmas decorations. I feel like it is my duty to try to get the neighborhood back to normal as much as I can. There are a lot of people living here, but are not in their houses yet. They have set up travel trailers or have had FEMA set up full size trailers to live in while their houses are being rebuilt. I will try to get a pic tonight for you guys. It's nothing overly spectacular, just enough to know that we care. Thanks for listening guys! We are nearing the home stretch in this journey and I really couldn't have kept my sanity without you guys offering encouragement and saying prayers. Thank you guys!

Glad things are going good and you are almost there. But X-mas lights already!?!?! :lol: Seriously though, I understand why you did it and it is a great gesture.

Probably a little late at this point, but for paint, I used Behr marquee. It is an all in one-one coat paint. Worked on new drywall, over old paint, and over brick in my house. A little more expensive a gallon, but no primer and no 2nd coat, so to me it was definitely worth it.

I got a bit further on my DIY project. Still have to finish polishing the countertop and get it installed, and do the ceiling and trim, but the floor and walls are done and cabinets are 90% done. Waiting on a few drawer slides yet. Using all soft close hinges and slides, so I can't just run to the store and grab them. Here's a couple shots I took tonight.

Oh, and if you want I'll trade you. I will come finish painting for you if you want to do the roughly 12hrs of counter polishing I need to do. :w00t:

$20161129_005514.jpg
$20161129_005552.jpg
$20161129_005607.jpg
$20161129_005718.jpg

Top Bottom