What's new

The Gillette open comb razors and their differentiating shaving properties

Yes there always something new to try isn't there? I try my best not to fall for it, at least not too often. And sometimes I tell myself that I'm actually in control of it. I wish I was, but then again life is short and I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said that the best way to resist a temptation is to fall for it. Personally I'm trying hard not to buy another Old Type ABC. But on the other hand why should I bother about feeding my hungry family when there's such a beautiful razor to buy to my "It's not a collection"? My beloved ones tend to eat everyday anyhow. Happy hunting!

Hmm... I guess I fell for it once again. The way that ABC razor "just looked at me" became too much. Well I guess it´s just like to quit smooking, but without the cough and cancer. It must be a cure for RAD:blush:.

You should have joined sooner. The two guides I have read from you so far have been fantastic, and have found a place on my bookmarks list. Nice one!.

I've only just discovered the Gillette NEW (UK) LC and absolutely love it! Likewise I only just was introduced to your article. Great work…both (the NEW and your article) make me want to head deeper into the Open Comb Forest.

Thank you. See my posts as my way of trying to pay back a little of what I owe you guys for being a lurker all these years.

What a great article!! Has all the information I was looking for including comparisons with modern razors. Thanks so much!!!

The production of the Old Type ceased and the New Improved was simplified and became the Gillett New Short Comb.

Not sure how accurate this is, I believe the Long Comb and Deluxe came before the Short Comb. Early LCs didn't have patent numbers, all SCs that I've seen have patent numbers. I believe NEWs with patent numbers are newer than those without.

Polarbeard,

I agree with you about the Gillette Long Comb New, although I go back and forth between which I like better, the Long Comb New or the Short Comb New. Both are fine razors.

I have had a different experience, however, with the Old Type and New Improved razors, which hold the blade in alignment using posts or "bullets" rather than with a central ridge or bar. The problem I have had is that blade exposure can be different on one side of the razor than on the other side. I attribute this to a discrepancy between the diameter of the posts and the diameter of the holes in the blades. Too much "slop." I understand that Gillette changed the geometry of their DE blades is about 1925, and that the Old Type and New Improved blades were designed to work with the old blades and therefore do not work as well with more modern blades.

Polarbeard,

I agree with you about the Gillette Long Comb New, although I go back and forth between which I like better, the Long Comb New or the Short Comb New. Both are fine razors.

I have had a different experience, however, with the Old Type and New Improved razors, which hold the blade in alignment using posts or "bullets" rather than with a central ridge or bar. The problem I have had is that blade exposure can be different on one side of the razor than on the other side. I attribute this to a discrepancy between the diameter of the posts and the diameter of the holes in the blades. Too much "slop." I understand that Gillette changed the geometry of their DE blades is about 1925, and that the Old Type and New Improved blades were designed to work with the old blades and therefore do not work as well with more modern blades.
This has been discussed for years. I don't know what's wrong out right, but I did an experiment. I bought an old razor sharpener and sharpened some old type blades. I also bought some still in production old type blades (The brand name might have been Tiger, don't buy them). I tried them in a single ring. To me it was hard to tell the difference to new blades. What I did notice though was that the stiffer old type blades made it the adjustable span wider and that it was possible to get a bit more aggression. I believe that the production of the Old Type ended in 1929 and thus it was produced alongside the new thinner blade type.

This brings us to whether the Old Type was made to be shimmed (or is it skimmed?) or not. My belief was that it was not. I based that on the fact that if it was there would be factory made shims to be found with the razors. Then to my joy and surprise I bought a NOS 1925 single ring that actually had a factory made and French patented shim. Even so this is the only one I've ever seen so I still maintain that the old for wasn't supposed to be shimmed and the shim wasn't marked Gillette.

Last edited:
Top Bottom