What's new

The Gillette "Fatboy"... what's it like as a shaver?

I have a neat mint Fatboy, which I think is from around 1960 or 1961.

I did not buy it to shave with. I bought it because I think its one of the coolest looking razors ever. It has heft, beautiful shape, and a sort of space age feel while still being a classic DE razor from the original DE maker.

I think I shaved with it maybe twice five years ago when I bought it, but I quickly turned to DEs that are more acclaimed purely for their shaving powers, such as the ones make by Merkur. The heads of the Merkur HD and 38c are much easier to shave with.

But lately I thought about shaving with the FB just for the heck of it.

What's it like as a shaver?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I believe it shaves better than either the HD or 38c Merkurs, a tad behind the 39c or a Futur on proper setting. But as you point out it is iconic, and isn't mint anymore. So try it, if you like the HD try a 4 or 5 setting on the Fatboy, work up from there.

If you've been using only one of the Merkurs realize you need to adjust the angle likely, then go at it.

There are as many opinions on Fat Boys about as orifices, but can't hurt to try ..

I have a "shaver" Fatboy in my travel dopp kit, and always one in the rotation

The Gillette 195 (Fat Boy) is very nice adjustable razor and I rank it up there with my Gillette Slim (though if I absolutely had to choose my Slim would win out by just a hair)since they are both adjustable.
Your 195 can be as tame or aggressive as you want so throw a blade in it and go to town.

the gillette 195 (fat boy) is very nice adjustable razor and i rank it up there with my gillette slim (though if i absolutely had to choose my slim would win out by just a hair)since they are both adjustable.
Your 195 can be as tame or aggressive as you want so throw a blade in it and go to town.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One of the nicer Gillette designed razors.

Worth using. Mine does not get as much use as it deserves but I do shave with it as regularly as I do all my other razors

proxy.php

I found one in bad shape and had it restored in Rhodium ... Clean and shiny now... with the right blade and setting ... a dream to shave with.

Absolutely fantastic, in my opinion much better than the Merkur razors.

Yes. Absolutely fantastic. And to use one is to use one of the definitive American razors. It's like the razor equivalent of a Harley Davidson. Beautiful, functional machinery.

I have a Gillette 195 (Fat Boy), 1959 model. Read about it, wanted it, found it, use it, love it! Classic, vintage style. Reminds me of a late 50's Chevy. It has some heft and the slightly higher head takes some getting used to. A great razor! My advice, un-moth ball that Fatty and use it!

Its my go-to razor right now. Very soft and subtle razor, however it gets the job done extremely well. And it has that hefty feel, which was always a plus for me. Makes me feel like I'm swinging a man's razor around.

Use it!!!

I have a Gillette 195 (Fat Boy), 1959 model. Read about it, wanted it, found it, use it, love it! Classic, vintage style. Reminds me of a late 50's Chevy. It has some heft and the slightly higher head takes some getting used to. A great razor! My advice, un-moth ball that Fatty and use it!

A late 50's Chevy. Yes.

Make sure to open the silo doors slightly when adjusting the exposure.

I don't really care for most of my TTO razors, something about the head geometry I suspect. But I *LOVE* my fatboy. I had a fantastic near-BSS 2.5 pass shave this morning with minimal irritation. I have sensitive skin so minimal irritation is somewhat elusive for me, I usually achieve "low-irritation" shaves and that makes me happy. I used my fatboy on "3", going to try "4" next time.

The Fatboy is a great looking razor. I must admit I was underwhelmed by the shave though. I like the super adjustable better.

I too would give a slight decimal point edge to the Gillette slim. However, when you pick up a fatboy, you know that you're picking up a solid piece of post-WWII American consumer engineering.

It's made of real medal, not the POTS of modern Merkurs, the no-nonsense knurled handle assures that there's no slippage and there's plenty of heft that assures that the well designed head works for a perfect shave. The fact that my 61 celebrated it's 50th birthday last September gives us pause to wonder what other products that we own that will last half as long.

Be sure to open the silo doors before you adjust the blade gap dial.

Top Bottom