What's new

The Gillette "Fatboy"... what's it like as a shaver?

Well, I like shaving with mine. Find the right setting and away you go.
My experience seems to run a bit counter to the general in that I get a better shave with a Fatboy than a Slim, but that's my razor with my technique on my face. As we always say: YMMV.

My dad gave me one when he taught me to shave...50 years ago. While it not be my only whisker-wacker, it is always ready to give a nice affective, comfortable shave.

Honey Badger; The only way to have one done is first to send it to Cap who will disassemble and repair if necessary, and prepare it in individual parts for Chris Evatt at Razorplate.com to plate in Rhodium. You will not regret doing it this way Sir! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I got one at the end of January, just in time to participate in Fatboy February. I like the look of the razor, heft, knurling, and it is a great shaver for me. Some folks have mentioned it has taller / thicker doors that can be an issue for under the nose, but I have a goatee so this isn't an issue for me.

The Fatboy and Rockwell 6S are my two favourites. I think the Fatboy has reduced my desire to acquire more vintage razors.

I wanted one badly. Love the look of the Fat Boy. I found it in the wild, cleaned it up and never got a great shave with it. I was so dissapointed. Ended up selling it, the Fat Boy deserved a home it would be used in. How I use my Old Type, New, Parat, Aristocrat Jr, Star & DOC mainly.

Guess the Fat Boy wasn't for me. YMMV.

I got a rather well-used Fatboy, but didn't get along with it. First, blades did not fight tightly in it, and I had to line up the blade carefully when putting it in, otherwise it would protrude more from one side than the other. Next, I didn't like the smell of brass as I shaved.

I recently got an Executive (gold version of the Fatboy), still new in the box. The blades fit tightly, no brassy smell, and it shaves wonderfully.

It's outstanding. My personal favorite.
I received my Gillette 195 as a gift in late April 2021 and have shaved with it every day. It’s really well built and feels good in my hand. This is also my first adjustable and really appreciate the versatility as far as how mild and aggressive this razor can be. Also I think it’s really cool knowing that I’m shaving with a 62 year old razor.
Beyond that I can say that it does what it was designed to do and does it very well.

Top Bottom