What's new

The Gillette "Fatboy"... what's it like as a shaver?

I used mine today with a Lord Super Stainless blade and got a BBS result. Just ran my hand over my face 13 hours after this morning's shave and it still feels BBS...I've got a coarse beard to boot.

So I guess I'm saying it's the one to go with....still haven't found one that beats this classic.

Having "a lot" of DE shavers, I realized recently, that the Fatboy is the most effective. It's heavy (I like that) and have the right adjustments of aggressiveness that suit me. I get the best and fastest shaves with this razor.

The Fatboy is a great shaver....not the best(I prefer the SA). The heavy and thick handle are why I enjoy it. I think you can get razors as good as the Fatboy for a lot cheaper though.

I am a fan of the open comb razors and have been using them almost exclusively for the past 4 months. I just picked up a Fatboy and shaved with it the last two days and have had great shaves. I have mine dialled up to 7 or 8 and get a BBS with no irritation. It will have a regular place in my rotation.

With a fatboy I can get a smooth comfortable shave at also any setting. With the Slim I need to fiddle with the settings a bit but I can get a nice shave there too. Haven't tried a black beauty, but I expect to need to fiddle with it a bit more than the slim.

Overall the Fatboy is a great razor. I'd say the best TTO Gillette made. I like it, but I think as most of us progress in shaving, the advantages of an adjustable become less and less needed. As DE's go I now tend to prefer slants. It's a great iconic razor everyone should try. However, I think many of us move past adjustables, which is why you see this divide between those that absolutely love this razor, and those that think it's overrated.

The best advise I can give you is crack it open drop a blade in it and give it a test drive. I used 4 during fatboy February (mine or I) like the Gillette Silver Blue blades in the Fatboy.
One of the best razors ever made.

20170225_033027.jpg
20170219_171744.jpg

Ohhh and you won't know till you try it

I thought nothing could pry me from my love of early Super Speeds, but finding a 195 Adjustable in the wild last year with its case has made me a believer. Excellent razor! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Z3, B2, E1 Flare Tips, E1 195 & Case, Fuller Men's Comb NOS Strum and Company Clarksville, VA .JPG

I didn't like mine at first but I do now. It has a good amount of blade feel, feedback and smoothness. I personally love it

I just acquired a 1959 Fat Boy in very good condition and shaved with it for the first time. I used a Polsilver Super Iridium blade, setting = 3, my usual facial prep (glycerin soap, Prorasa pre-shave, post shower), Prorasa green soap and an Omega 49 brush. I generally use 2.5-3 passes and achieve a decent shave with some bristle hours later. I had no idea what would happen with this razor, but I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of shaving and the lack of irritation or aggressiveness. I set the angle to barely make a noise on my beard and, unlike my slant razors, was able to make a small error without paying for it.
Not perfect, but surprisingly good and the manufacture, heft, and mojo of my father's razor made it a pleasure to use.
It will be in my rotation as a regular from now on.

From a styling point of view, I prefer the Slim over the Fatboy. From a shaving point of view, there is virtually no difference between the two except that I think the Fatboy is one notch milder than the Slim, and the head geometry a little more awkward to manoeuvre. Both are excellent shavers, however.

In general, I don't find that TTOs give me particularly close shaves, but the adjustables are the exception and have the potential to deliver a shave as mild or as assertive as you like.

It is one of three razors plus an early morning Pre-War Fat Handle Tech that are a part of my daily rotation. I do like mine! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette E1 Date Code 195 Adjustable Fat Boy.JPG

Like all razors it is a case of YMMV.

The Fatboy (and Slim) and nice looking razors, with a good weight to them. Always nice to add to a collection.

For me they do not provide as good a shave as my Old and New types.

For me it's a good but not exceptional shaver at any setting. I prefer my Schick Krona which is much smoother and remarkable in efficiency.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, my D4 was my first in the wild find shortly after I got into DEs. I have 21 razors and have only used 4 of them because I enjoy the Fat Boy so much and it gives me excellent shaves with a GSB. There's something about it's design, heft and feel that just makes me smile and get giddy inside like a kid waiting to open presents. I even get that feeling when looking at pics posted by others.

IMG_1587.JPG

Top Bottom