What's new

The Gibbs Plus/Minus Razor

I received a Gibbs Plus/Minus razor from one of my customers last week and thought it may be of some interest on the forum. It is a fixed head razor but has two different blade exposures. The Plus side is a bit more aggressive and the Minus side a little more tame. This particular model of Gibbs razor takes a proprietary blade while my Gibbs Click Pen razor takes standard DE blades. Leave it to the French. :w00t: Fortunately, Harvey included about 100 of the Proprietary blades so I should be able to use this razor for "mourning" shaves for a long time to come.

I had some Gibbs blades just like that. I hope you can get a good shave with yours. Mine were horrible. I had to toss them, they hurt so bad. And they were sealed and wrapped.

If you want to use your Gibbs razor, all you have to do is cut about a 1/16" off each end of a normal DE blade. Blades cut pretty easy with a good pair of scissors. I have an adjustable Gibbs and use it with Feathers. Once you've done that, load the razor eyeball the gap for evenness and tighten the cap. Easy and it works.

Here is a comparative picture of a standard DE blade (Personna Med Prep in this case) and a Proprietary Gibbs blade. The differences are slight but enough that a regular blade does not fit in the Plus/Minus razor (note the notches on the tabs of the Gibbs blade).

Hmmm, as I said cut about 1/16" off each end of the regular DE blade and it works just fine...really. You see where the ends look "white" on the Personna blade? Cut off that much and VOILA!

Hmmm, as I said cut about 1/16" off each end of the regular DE blade and it works just fine...really. You see where the ends look "white" on the Personna blade? Cut off that much and VOILA!

Good to know and worth trying. I would like to try this razor with one of my favorite blades. :w00t:

It looks like it might be possible in this case to alter the razor instead of the blade. Some might be offended by such an act, but could you Dremel off those little tabs on the head of the Razor so you don't have to cut the blades? Is the rest of the head designed so that it will hold the blade in place without those tabs? Huck, you mention eyeballing it to line it up. Can someone show a pic of the inside of the head of one of these things? I'm interested in buying one, and would consider modifying it like that, but don't know if it would work.

If you want to use your Gibbs razor, all you have to do is cut about a 1/16" off each end of a normal DE blade. Blades cut pretty easy with a good pair of scissors. I have an adjustable Gibbs and use it with Feathers. Once you've done that, load the razor eyeball the gap for evenness and tighten the cap. Easy and it works.

+1

One straight cut across each end of a blade, takes a few seconds. The threaded center post centers the blade; all you have to do is make sure the edges are parallel and then the blade will be where it's supposed to be. In fact, it's easier to align than on a lot of conventional three-piece razors.

Top Bottom