What's new

The Gem 1912

Dave,

What an impressive collection! Can I assume that the 1900 model that you show uses a wedge blade? The head seems to look a lot like the Kampfe Stars. I don't believe I'd seen a Gem like this before.

Thanks again,
Tom

What SE blades are recomended for these razors? And does anyone have some they might want to trade for some DE blades? I have a Gem I think it is a G Bar type and plan to get an older style as well.

Eddie

Eddie, I have been getting great shaves just using some drug store name branded blades. They say "Made in USA" on them and I suspect they are produced by ASR. I know some of the gents are using blades from Ted Pella, but so far I haven't had any problem at all with these "generics".

Regards,
Tom

Dave,

What an impressive collection! Can I assume that the 1900 model that you show uses a wedge blade? The head seems to look a lot like the Kampfe Stars. I don't believe I'd seen a Gem like this before.

Thanks again,
Tom

thanks!

yeah the 1900 uses a wedge blade. i THOUGHT they could take SE blades, but it just so happens the wedge blades are BARELY wider than a SE blade, so the SE blade just slips right out. plus because of the thickness of a wedge blade, the runner guards are set much higher than say, an ever ready, for example..

Eddie, I have been getting great shaves just using some drug store name branded blades. They say "Made in USA" on them and I suspect they are produced by ASR. I know some of the gents are using blades from Ted Pella, but so far I haven't had any problem at all with these "generics".

Regards,
Tom

I agree with you Tom. The Gem Blue Star carbon steel or the Gem (Personna) stainless steel blades provide a very fine shave. I can't justify spending the extra money on the Pellas although I am sure they are very fine blades. D. Irving - did you see the photos of the Feather blades that will fit the Valet Autostrops? I took your advice and tried to job engineer a Valet blade out of a SE but amnot competent enough to pull this off. Can we lay our hands on some of these Feathers?
Seaforth

I agree with you Tom. The Gem Blue Star carbon steel or the Gem (Personna) stainless steel blades provide a very fine shave. I can't justify spending the extra money on the Pellas although I am sure they are very fine blades. D. Irving - did you see the photos of the Feather blades that will fit the Valet Autostrops? I took your advice and tried to job engineer a Valet blade out of a SE but amnot competent enough to pull this off. Can we lay our hands on some of these Feathers?
Seaforth

i did, i did. im on board if you decide to go for it.

I have both the GEM Personna blades that I find at Walgreen's, and also got in on a group buy for some Pella blades. I get great shaves with both. After some recommendations, though, I put in an order for the GEM Blue Star blades and some Treet Super Carbon blades, to see if I prefer them. Honestly, though, the Walgreen's blades do a great job. I just shaved with my 1912 last night with the GEM blade in it and got a wonderful shave.

I have a couple of the I think they call it push button Gem razors and bought a few of what look like older 1912 types. I also have put in an order for some of the Ted Pella 121-3 blades. So if the order go's right I guess I'll know on Monday, I should have half (100 of them) I will be willing to part with sence I do not need all of them. I do use single edge blades in my guitar repair work so the used ones and some new ones will be put to good use. Anyway I'll post the 100 I'm willing to break up when I get them up in the BST section.

Eddie

Top Bottom