What's new

The Feather's next of kin?

So in the over-saturated, murky sea of razors there is generally one blade that most all can agree on regardless of razor... Feathers will be the sharpest option out there. We all tend to agree that though it may be sharp, its generally not "smooth". Thirdly we generally wouldn't pick them for one blade February, as they don't last all too long.

So, if feathers are great for some, more of a consept for others, whats the "next of kin"? whats that blade that trades just a bit of pristine sharpness for smoothness, and resilience?

To me this is the black 7 o'clock, followed by Silver Iridium. I imagine others may say GSB's, i've seen KIA, (which are supposedly a bit longer, which should increase blade gap which is a bit of an unfair advantage in my eyes), Im eager to try the Gillette platinum- as its the only blade DE that Gillette shows on their US website. I'm actually curious why no one seems to talk about Gillette platinum's. I think their also one of the only blades that can be found in stores.

Anyhow... I'm just curious what other people would consider feather's next of kin.

Last edited:
I think the 7 o clock blacks and nacets are close if not equal. But to be honest i cant stand feathers, they feel rough to me in any razor, so it may just be biased.

Bic Chrome Platinum from Greece
Gillette 7 O'Clock ShaprEdge (Yellow) from Russia
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) from India
Personna Platinum Chrome from Israel
Silver Star from Egypt
Wilkinson Sword from Germany
Zaza Supreme Stainless from Turkey

My 7 favourite blades - all sharp, smooth and long lasting, and IMHO - all 7 knock spots off Feather blades

BIC
Perma-sharp
Nacet
Gillette Black

See Refinedshave for objective testing. BIC is the sharpest over a number of shaves. As to smoothness Your Face May Vary, you need to test yourself any blade.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Kai would be my vote.

However, I find Feathers and Kai to be a bit too sharp and not especially smooth. Obviously YMMV in the extreme.

Kai for me.

Not quite as sharp as Feather, but sharp blade for sure.
Gentler on the face than Feather, especially if you're a daily shaver, stays sharp longer too.

I do! Longest I've gotten out of a single feather is 115 shaves. But 30 shaves is pretty standard for me.
Holy molly I just saw your from the Burg! I spent six years getting my photo and design degree there! What are you doing there?????

Oh thats cool, i've been up the tower for a photo class with Robert Breshears- if you knew him before his retirement.

In my Edwin Jagger, the Feather blade is perfectly smooth (and, yes, obviously sharp.)
So I'm not sure why some of you gents complain about the Feather's lack of smoothness.
Oh well, ..... a perfect example of "YMMV."
Anyway, as my "next of kin to Feathers," I'd vote for the marvelous Gillette Nacet.

IMG_0081.JPG

So, I am reading this thread with interest. Having gone back to DE about 18 years ago and generally using Feathers, I have been also using silver blues Treet Platinum, Astras and, most recently some Nacets. I agree that while Feathers are the sharpest, they are not the longest lasting. However, how you guys get 10+ shaves out of one blade, let alone 30 or more amazes me. I generally change out the Feathers after 4 shaves although the others may be able to go more. My beard is on the heavier side, but by no means extreme. I cannot think of keeping the same blade for the numbers that have been reported. I always have thought that the DE blades were very economical, even at 4 shaves per blade. Are those of you going long distance not feeling a real drop off in sharpness and smoothness but are just "soldiering on" anyway?

However, how you guys get 10+ shaves out of one blade, let alone 30 or more amazes me. I generally change out the Feathers after 4 shaves although the others may be able to go more.

Was wondering the same thing, I mean, I can get 5, and if really pushing, maybe 6 or 7 out of Feather blade, there's significant drop off in sharpness for me around shave #5.

@Adam18 it's not that Feathers aren't great blades, and smooth they might be especially in mild shaver like your EJ. It's just that some other ones can leave your face feeling a bit nicer, especially as I said if you shave every day. For years Feather has been my favorite blade, and still is, but I've learned to appreciate slightly different characteristics of Kai as well, there's just a bit more sweetness in that blade while still being fairly sharp.

As you said YMMV always applies when it comes to these things, you know, different razors, prep, beard...etc

I would say, if you’re going Nacet, you might as well go Feather. Their initial sharpness is the defining characteristic of both blades (though Feather are sharper).

So then, it’s either KAI or Polsilver SI. I prefer the KAI, but sounds to me like you’re looking for the Polsilver.

Top Bottom