What's new

The difference in jeans?

You have to be careful setting expectations based on products that are made in other countries with extremely low labor costs and with corners cut to meet the pricing demands of American consumers.

There's definitely a massive difference between my Gap jeans and my Momotaro jeans in terms of material and build quality. However, there's also a massive pricing differential.

I'm glad to see more gents that have good taste in denim. I have a couple pairs of Iron Hearts in different cuts and material as well as a pair from The Flat Head. Fantastic jeans and they should last quite a while. Especially the 25oz Iron Hearts.

I've bought a few pairs from Gustin. American mill selvedge denim and american made. 11.5 oz and 13.5oz. You gotta be pretty lean for these and the length is fixed, so I cuff mine, but they are nice and well made. I also don't wear them while doing yard work :p I have some older baggy carpenter jeans for that kind of stuff, most of which are ripping out at the crotch after a few years because the denim is so thin and pre-worn.

If you can, try selvedge denim. You will see the way jeans used to be made before they became mass produced and you will certainly feel the difference in quality.

I've noticed that they wear out quickly, especially in the crotch and around the back pockets, but I don't know if it's the jeans themselves or if I'm just hard on them. I can't remember how much wear I got out of previous buys/brands to compare. I've also tried the $20-25 Levis from Walmart & Target and found they also wore quickly in those areas.

So I'm wondering if there is a difference between the Walmart/Target jeans and those found in fashion/designer stores. Anyone have experience with the two that could offer some insight?

I've had a similar experience with lower-priced Levi's - I now exclusively wear Nudie jeans of a heavyweight denim construction and I find them much more hardwearing

I've worn the same pair of levi's nearly every day for the last two years and the only wear on them is some fading on the front thighs, a wallet ring worn out on the back right pocket, and the slightest bit of fraying on the backs of the cuffs where my heels drag. I think real levis are built for quality, and with the range of fits and washes, you'll be able to find ones that make you look great. not to mention once they break in they're some of the most comfortable jeans I've had on.

Top Bottom