What's new

The Daily Double

In the spirit of full disclosure and to add a little of my own shaving processes, I use a "opening Schick Type E" for sideburn setting and around my nostrils regardless of the other razor because it is a better tool for me than anything I have experienced.

Today I used a circa 1899-1928 Challenge Cutlery "The Celebrated Rifle Razor" that I paid $7 last year.
STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Challenge Cutlery Company, Bridgeport, Conn.

Those of you considering a SR need to know that these razors are readily available. They are not the ones highly sought after and a 4/8 or 5/8 is not the width many collectors seek. That said, these are the ones I prefer to use and from auctions, the most popular with the old professional barbers.

This razor was initially honed on 3M non adhesive films 30-.3 micron then stropped on linen and horse. Later I used 200k diamond paste on balsa. Last night I simple did 25 laps on linen and 50 on horse.

Rifle.jpg

DD first blood

50 laps for Mr Ralf Aust on the 200k diamond pasted balsa, then to the Tony Miller 3 inch horsehide strop - 25 cotton, 50 leather. Improved edge.

Prep: 2 x Williams Mug boar scrub and HOT wash off
Two passes: Aust 5/8 SR
Touch up: Schick E injector (where did I get that idea?)
Lubrication: Cella uberized with a dab of Cremo Cool, bowl lathered with OBN Ever-Ready 900 (Old But Nice, a couple notches down from NOS but no need for a reknot. And very happy the band is fading. Banded Boar: It's Just Wrong)

BA636E6E-C2F2-43D7-890E-3113FE2F97D3.jpeg

Cut to the chase (well, left cheek): I finally managed to produce a weeper with the SR. Didn’t lay it flat enough starting up from the beard margin. I’m getting more confident... too confident. I credit the diamond balsa stropping and the uberized lather with helping me attain longer, smoother strokes. In turn, that encouraged me to move too fast, starting an ATG stroke in a tricky spot without pausing to double check alignment. Sloooowwww weeper, finished the shave before I saw red. Alum handled it. Shave and learn.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tonight's Daily Double:
August Arko
Omega boar
My second Geneva #35, honed using 400/1000-4000/8000-Raven stones-Crox-200,000 diamond pasted balsa
My first Geneva, honed using "the method" and 200,000 diamond pasted balsa

Both Geneva razors are "wicked sharp".

I had the stones and wanted to see if my honing skills were improving, I also felt significant edge on my neck with the Geneva using the "method" and wanted to see if using stones would make a difference.

The #35 Geneva using stones did feel less harsh, however, it has also turned out to be a "singer", so I don't know if that is the difference, I'm a noob......

20190811_210830.jpg

Tonight's Daily Double:
August Arko
Omega boar
My second Geneva #35, honed using 400/1000-4000/8000-Raven stones-Crox-200,000 diamond pasted balsa
My first Geneva, honed using "the method" and 200,000 diamond pasted balsa

Both Geneva razors are "wicked sharp".

I had the stones and wanted to see if my honing skills were improving, I also felt significant edge on my neck with the Geneva using the "method" and wanted to see if using stones would make a difference.

The #35 Geneva using stones did feel less harsh, however, it has also turned out to be a "singer", so I don't know if that is the difference, I'm a noob......

View attachment 1007117

That’s a double. Straight no chaser.

DD not about the razors

Good, nice, great razors but in Arko August I finally remembered (and took the time) for great prep:
Hot shower, 2 x Arko HOT beard scrub ‘n’ wash, wear the last pre-lather while pre-stropping.

Ralf Aust 5/8
RR GC OC ‘Jaws’
Arko smushed in a mug, but face lathered
Touch of Cremo Cooling rubbed in before lathering
Custom boar - very scrubby
Alum
Too pumped by the shave to remember AS

The stars:
8ED5ED44-8015-4EE0-82F3-B339A92E830E.jpeg

My smoothest straight shave yet. Technique continues to improve, plus plenty of high quality prep plus the Arko with a hint of Cremo uberization. Solid DFS+. No overwork. Very little alum sting.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
DD smooth
#35 Geneva
RR SLOC/Gillette Platinum(2)
Cremo horse hair brush
WilKo with a dab of Cremo

20190813_231334.jpg

A dab of Cremo really wakes up the Wilko and the horsey gave a velvety smooth face lather.
As my technique improves, the straight edge feels smoother, #35 just sings, and the SLOC finished up under my nose and chin for a nice DFS, so nice I almost forgot the Whitch Hazel and AV

DD smooth
#35 Geneva
RR SLOC/Gillette Platinum(2)
Cremo horse hair brush
WilKo with a dab of Cremo

View attachment 1007746
A dab of Cremo really wakes up the Wilko and the horsey gave a velvety smooth face lather.
As my technique improves, the straight edge feels smoother, #35 just sings, and the SLOC finished up under my nose and chin for a nice DFS, so nice I almost forgot the Whitch Hazel and AV

Nice handle on the SLOC!! :001_wub:

DD ready or not

Prep 3 x Williams Mug hot face scrub/wash, rub in a tiny dab of Cremo Cooling
Bone handled Bismarck Razor Works, handle has aged more lightly than the edge
RazoRock OC Jaws with aging Nacet
Scrubby Zenith boar
Stick Arko stuck in a mug
Alum
Hazel Hop Husker homebrew AS pretending to be No. 4711 - the next hop crop is coming along nicely, thank you
9A71BC33-FC7B-47DD-A7A4-BB562DAEEC6F.jpeg

Round 1 on restoring Herr Bismarck’s edge yielded a ‘ready enough’ edge in the center third of the blade. I’m not a razor restorer yet, barely even a honer... Jaws picked up the slack, alum stopped the weeper and dealt with the aftermath of inadvertent mosquito bite surgery, AS restored a shred of dignity. DFS with a sting.

I've been in a bit of a funk this week and haven't shaved since Sunday, I wanted to try out some recently acquired vintage enders blades so I broke out of the funk long enough to shave. I'm glad I did, it feels good to be acting more like my normal self.

For today's Daily Double
Cyril Salter wild rose was whipped up with two band badger after a hot shower.
First pass went to the Enders with first use vintage blade.
Second pass and cleanup went to the Gem Jr. Parade with 7th flip Gem SS PTFE.
Witch hazel and Tolsom aftershave splash them a cool water rinse rounded things out for a very close comfortable shave with zero irritation.
The vintage enders blades where a little twiggy but not bad. I will be using it for a different style of blade holder than I have been using for modern blades soon.
Thanks go to @Flintstone65 for cluing me in on the new mod.

20190815_203841.jpg

I've been in a bit of a funk this week and haven't shaved since Sunday, I wanted to try out some recently acquired vintage enders blades so I broke out of the funk long enough to shave. I'm glad I did, it feels good to be acting more like my normal self.

For today's Daily Double
Witch hazel and Tolsom aftershave splash them a cool water rinse rounded things out for a very close comfortable shave with zero irritation.
The vintage enders blades where a little twiggy but not bad. I will be using it for a different style of blade holder than I have been using for modern blades soon.

View attachment 1008357

It must be funk week. I’ve been shaving but giving a cold shoulder to other projects. Was it the Contours?

Hope we snap back!

For today's Daily Double

View attachment 1008357

Correction I did shave Monday but forgot.

It must be funk week. I’ve been shaving but giving a cold shoulder to other projects. Was it the Contours?

Hope we snap back!

Not the contours fault. Sorry to hear you are in a funk too. Mine is due to some potentially bad news I got that went be confirmed good bad or neutral till October.

Thanks, the handle it came with was too heavy, so I made one out of titanium at work!:quickdraw

Totally professorial. I mean professional! :001_302: Now I am completely impressed. :clap::clap::clap:

I was so pleased with myself when I managed to cut a couple centimeters off my RazoRock Ti handle. :001_rolle

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DD for me today with the GEM Junior as the main facial razor with the Gillette slim used for the back of the neck and some ear lope hair(not recommended to shave ear lopes at a early age and do not let the barber talk you into it).
The Gillette slim adjustable can be used at it's lowest settings and not nick, also I removed the blade over hang on the blade with tin snips not to snag the ear.
Daily double (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom