What's new

The Daily Double

Today I did a first WTG pass with the 9/16 :shoulder less John Holler followed by the Gillette New Standard/much used Feather blade The last pass ATG and clean up was performed by the old Holler. Holler was an American importer.

New Standard.jpg

Today's Daily Double
Sixth use feather in the schick.
Schick proline B20 in the Enders
Mer Shaving Fougere orange on two band badger.
Tolsom and witch hazel After Shave splash
Feeling much better after a big disappointment earlier today.

20190731_152149.jpg

Seldom used Red Tip, this is a infrequently seen, 1959 version. The SR is a NOS Herder #49 15/16 with custom Kirinite scales made by J.R. Rowe.

Stirling Baker Street soap, Semogue 1305 brush, Sea Breeze post shave and before shower followed by Aqua Velva post shower.
Red Tip.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
If anyone empties a Cella tub and doesn't need it to refill I'd like to get one. I recieved a sample and liked it so much I bought a kilo of it.
Outstanding....you can be my "guinea-pig"...um, I mean "tester". I'm a huge Cella fan, and I've heard great things about the kilo version -- basically it's supposed to better/richer than the red tub. I've only tried the red tub, and what has stopped me (although I've come close on occasion) from picking one up is how to store it. Do you refrigerate/freeze the big-boy-block after cutting off what you'll be using for the upcoming month? Or does it sit out, but tightly wrapped in plastic wrap? Very curious.

And I'm sure you know this, but I've found the little round Ziploc containers to be a nice size to hold soap and to load from.

Outstanding....you can be my "guinea-pig"...um, I mean "tester". I'm a huge Cella fan, and I've heard great things about the kilo version -- basically it's supposed to better/richer than the red tub. I've only tried the red tub, and what has stopped me (although I've come close on occasion) from picking one up is how to store it. Do you refrigerate/freeze the big-boy-block after cutting off what you'll be using for the upcoming month? Or does it sit out, but tightly wrapped in plastic wrap? Very curious.

And I'm sure you know this, but I've found the little round Ziploc containers to be a nice size to hold soap and to load from.

I agree, Cella is a fantastic affordable soap. I'd like to try the aftershave.
I used the little rubber made container like a cookie cutter to plug out a chunk about half the size of the tub from the Cella brick and packed it in. Then wrapped the brick back up tight and put it back in the box. I'm keeping the box in the drawer with the rest of my soaps and creams. Is it common to refrigerate extra soaps?

Flintstone65

I agree, Cella is a fantastic affordable soap. I'd like to try the aftershave.
I used the little rubber made container like a cookie cutter to plug out a chunk about half the size of the tub from the Cella brick and packed it in. Then wrapped the brick back up tight and put it back in the box. I'm keeping the box in the drawer with the rest of my soaps and creams. Is it common to refrigerate extra soaps?
I don't know -- I've seen people refrigerate some, and I always assumed that the tallow was the reason. Most of what I've read is that if you can keep it relatively free from oxygen, you should be fine. I've never had an issue with my soaps, and I store them as you described; but I wondered about the kilo because I suspect it'll take a wee bit of time to go through that much soap.

I don't know -- I've seen people refrigerate some, and I always assumed that the tallow was the reason. Most of what I've read is that if you can keep it relatively free from oxygen, you should be fine. I've never had an issue with my soaps, and I store them as you described; but I wondered about the kilo because I suspect it'll take a wee bit of time to go through that much soap.
I have never purchased a kilo of Cella, but it may be worthwhile either writing the company to ask them the best way to store the product, or cut it in two and refrigerate or freeze half and keep the other half in an air-tight container or zip-lock bag at room temperature...and then see how they manage over a longer period of time. A kilo of Cella would last me 5 or more years.

I did some reading on some soap making forums and the general consensus is that properly processed tallow will last indefinitely store normally. Maybe I will cut a good-sized section off and refrigerate or freeze it just to see if the non refrigerated section Ages differently.

Today's Daily double.
Gem minute man for most of the shave
Gem push button contour for the back of the neck and light touch ups.
Mer shaving Fougere bay on two band badger.
Finish things off with Tolsom and witch hazel After Shave splash and a cool water rinse.
Great shave.

20190804_090314.jpg

DD back on task

Went off grid, up high where the hoary marmots and the mountain goats play. No shaving. Some speculation as to whether hoary marmot fur might rival high mountain white badger. Went back to beard baseline with DE OC yesterday. Today I am back on the DD/SR track. The eldest is visiting for the weekend, the shower/shave den is in chaos, so a candid gear photo is in order:
2DBEABD0-5891-430F-8407-66A7041D6080.jpeg

#2 son kit: Schick L, shave wet, but no lather

#1 son kit: Baxter of CA travel brush, After the Rain soap, chrome Gillette case holding anachronistic gold ball handle Tech

Alpha male overly elaborate DD kit:
Williams Mug preshave facewash/shower prep
Twelvefret SR + RazoRock Game Changer JAWS (RRGCJ?)
50 laps/20 laps/50 laps 200k diamond/cotton/leather + Nacet(3)
Omega boar
Cella/Cremo bowl uberized lather
Unused styptic pencil
Alum
Homebrew AS

BBS! :punk:

DD back on task

Went off grid, up high where the hoary marmots and the mountain goats play. No shaving. Some speculation as to whether hoary marmot fur might rival high mountain white badger. Went back to beard baseline with DE OC yesterday. Today I am back on the DD/SR track. The eldest is visiting for the weekend, the shower/shave den is in chaos, so a candid gear photo is in order:
View attachment 1005052
#2 son kit: Schick L, shave wet, but no lather

#1 son kit: Baxter of CA travel brush, After the Rain soap, chrome Gillette case holding anachronistic gold ball handle Tech

Alpha male overly elaborate DD kit:
Williams Mug preshave facewash/shower prep
Twelvefret SR + RazoRock Game Changer JAWS (RRGCJ?)
50 laps/20 laps/50 laps 200k diamond/cotton/leather + Nacet(3)
Omega boar
Cella/Cremo bowl uberized lather
Unused styptic pencil
Alum
Homebrew AS

BBS! :punk:

You still pleased with that SR edge?

You still pleased with that SR edge?

Very pleased. Having the balsa and leather/cotton strops seems key to continuing enjoyment of the edge you honed for me. I haven’t gotten either the ‘Yellow Boy’ or the Henkotsu up to that level yet, but I will have a chance for some more honing sessions when the guest room clears out, the heat moderates, and a couple other factors align. I have some additional bottom of the barrel straights for honing practice.

Here are things I appreciate about the three razors, as an SR newb.
Shorter blade: the kami and your razor
Narrower (5/8) blade: the Yellow Boy (also a thinner spine)
Balance: the two traditional straights
The edge: your honing versus the kami edge on arrival or the edges I’ve since put on it and the Yellow Boy

DD short sharp shock

Short: Linden SS travel OC/Nacet
Sharp: Ever-Ready Shovelhead /Gem PTFE
Shock: homebrew mezcal/habanero AS
5F2C5D36-24F1-4BD2-97E2-B0C3861B5530.jpeg

Flintstone65

Today's Daily Double:
RazoRock Wunderbar with Voskhod (5) | Gem Junior Bar with GEM SS PTFE (9)
Tabac lathered with a Yaqi 26mm Brown (Faux Horse) Knot in a Rainbow Handle
Finished off with Krampert's Finest Frostbite (for a Menthol Monday)
3 passes (1st with Wunderbar, 2nd & 3rd with Gem Jr Bar) gave me a DFS+

I say it every time I post here, but I REALLY need to do more Daily Doubles, they absolutely rock!!! :punk:

IMG_2015.jpg

Today's Daily Double:
RazoRock Wunderbar with Voskhod (5) | Gem Junior Bar with GEM SS PTFE (9)
Tabac lathered with a Yaqi 26mm Brown (Faux Horse) Knot in a Rainbow Handle
Finished off with Krampert's Finest Frostbite (for a Menthol Monday)
3 passes (1st with Wunderbar, 2nd & 3rd with Gem Jr Bar) gave me a DFS+

I say it every time I post here, but I REALLY need to do more Daily Doubles, they absolutely rock!!! :punk:

View attachment 1005273

I am no longer worthy to sit/stand in your presence. Wonderful sir!! Never have I seen a white handle on a junior...or anything for that matter.

Flintstone65

I am no longer worthy to sit/stand in your presence. Wonderful sir!! Never have I seen a white handle on a junior...or anything for that matter.
:lol1:....you are too kind, sir....thank you!!! Here's the handle I think my friend was using for inspiration:

Screenshot 2019-08-05 at 184634.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Today's Daily Double, I finally got a decent edge on the Geneva and never used the Feather. 2 pass face for a BBS, and 1 pass neck for a DFS. Brush is an Omega 10066 boar. Not bad for my 10th straight shave.
20190804_214320.jpg

Top Bottom