What's new

The Captain (IRONICALLY! nearly ended up looking like this:

proxy.php

Fair warning: NOT for the squeamish! Hit your "Back" button right now if you are sitting there with a full stomach or faint at the sight of needles. Really. Okay, I warned you. Continue reading at your own peril.

After a long afternoon bottling, labeling, filtering, packing and bubble wrapping his variety of three Captain's Choice aftershaves, The Captain thinks to himself, "Aye, me needs some fresh air! Where is me parrot?" With Polly on his shoulder he climbed the stairs and emerged from the bilge. Blinking at the bright sun he shielded his eyes and soaked up the sunshine. For the first time since releasing his new Lime aftershave the First Mate had relented momentarily and allowed the sun to grace his shoulders.

So he heads out to find some gardening chores and ends up repotting some agave that he bought locally. They reminded him of his recent trip out west and he had to have them. They are a fleshy succulent with pointy firm ends on them like this:

proxy.php

So out of the small plastic pot and into the large terra cotta pot. Rotate the pot, dump in soil, firm it down and repeat. Rotate, dump, tamp down, repeat all the way around. Then on to the second plant and the third. As The Captain l-e-a-n-e-d in to firm the soil in a freshly turned pot he leaned into the needle-like tip of an agave leaf.

With his eyeball.

No compassion from the First Mate - she whipped out her sword and sent him back to the bilge, yelling as the hatch slammed shut, "You need to make MORE of the lime aftershave - do you hear me? MORE!!!"

proxy.php

After a clean bill of health from the local eye doc The Captain returned to his labors. And there he labors on even now as he types. Most recently The Captain has been trying in vain to make enough of his new lime aftershave. It has been hard, very hard to keep any inventory of it. And for that The Captain and First Mate are most grateful.

proxy.php

Last edited:
The early Spanish planted Yucca around their forts in Florida and the Caribbean as natural defenses.

The British referred to them as Spanish Bayonets

http://www.floridata.com/ref/y/yucc_alo.cfm

The nastiness of pointy plants are not to be underestimated. They have been poking people intentionally for centuries :pirate:

Interesting thing about those agave needles: If you carefully pull them out, they come with a built in thread that is SUPER strong. They used to be used for sewing leather together, early stitching, etc. So yeah, be very careful with those. Sharp and strong don't go well together with fleshy and easily punctured.

A proper Captain has a deluge of facial scars anyway, you're better off for it.

Seriously though...speedy recovery! Glad that it sounds like you avoided major problems. :oops:

Buck up Captain. Back to the gallows and produce more product. I've not heard of anyone needing safety glasses to work the garden but then again my first mate isn't as demanding. In all seriousness, hope your eye is ok

Glad to hear you are ok and no eye patch was necessary...Yikes! Take care Captain, I can't wait to try the Lime!

I'll trade you a custom pair of agave re-potting limited edition safety goggles for a bottle of your lime aftershave. I know what you're thinking, "Dave, why would you trade so heavily in my favor?" Because, Cap'n, that's just the kinda shipmate I be! Arrgghhhhh

Top Bottom