What's new

Captains Choice Starry Night Scuttle

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I ordered a scuttle from Captains Choice, because I am tired of cold lather on my face. As nice as the standard CC lather bowls are, they don't keep the lather warm so ya. This scuttle was supposed to arrive on the 21st, yet was already delivered today! Speedy delivery from Scott at Captains Choice! Truth is, this company left a mark on me, and I love everything that they do, and Scott is a really nice guy, infact, so nice that he included some free samples along the way.

proxy.php

Captains Choice Starry Night Scuttle, 1-tub of Land-Ho Shaving Cream, 2 shaving soap samples - Lime - Venture. And 1-aftershave sample, forget the name of sorry. And a couple of cards, plus a message I didn't take a photo of. Very nice of Scott, who should be everyones favorite Captain.

proxy.php

Just look at those spiral ridges, its almost mesmerizing isn't it? And look at all the texture that is in the construction of this, its not just colors alone.

proxy.php

And look at that really nice pour spout, you can even see the amount of effort that went into this by the potter as well. With a nice wide opening like that, it allows one to pour water into it pretty much without spilling, and water pours back out of it, without taking all day.

proxy.php

But what about the handle you say? Well, as you can see, this bowl uses a wide handle, which provides me a solid grip with it. At no point did I feel like I was going to drop it, even with it loaded with water inside. This is how handles should be made, not 1/8" diameter aluminum rods, where the scuttle handle slips down in your hand. Yes, I've seen video's of that before lol.

proxy.php

Just look at it, its gorgeous! Come on, you ladies out there, admit you love this scuttle too! This is the type of pottery, that you could place this in the middle of the living room table, and it will instantly become a conversation starter, when you have company over.

proxy.php

Here I am pouring water into the scuttle for the first time. Now, I did hear a crack sound upon doing this, I thought maybe the bottom cracked from the boiling water, but I checked the bottom, and there was no crack, it wasn't leaking. So, not sure what that crack sound was, but everything seems to be OK. And on away I go with the lathering up process, away you go sailor! HAHA!😁

So what is my opinion on the scuttle? Did it do what I wanted it to do? The answer is absolutely yes, the lather was nice and warm, and felt really good on the face. But I was trying out that cream that Scott sent with me, and I just couldn't whip up a quality lather with it. Having said that however, I still manage to be able to utilize the cream, just not to any capacity that I would say I could with a soap. Maybe its better to apply the cream straight to the face, and then begin brushing.

So I guess thats maybe a piece of advice, don't try to whip up a lather with cream in the scuttle, doesn't seem to work, but it should work great for soap lathering when I try that next. I just wanted to try out the cream cause Scott was kind enough to send that out to me. I like the scent of that cream once its wet, but I don't think creams and I get along very well, which is why I never wanted to take a chance on buying them in the first place. I think soaps are what really agree with me in the end.

Having said all that, I think this scuttle is awesome, nothing like warm lather on the face, weather it is a cream, or a soap. So, if you are like me, and you hate cold lather too, do yourself a favor, get a scuttle! Makes a world of difference to that face massage! 😍

There is my new scuttle in the shave den!
proxy.php

Do you find the shape of the scuttle (deep and narrow) to be odd?

I have a similar scuttle and always wished there was more room to swish a brush around.

That said, makes great warm lather!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

What a gorgeous scuttle!! Excellent review, @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker!! I've got a tub of CC Venture Shave Soap and it's one of my favorite scents!! The soap performs well, too!!

Thank you so much! I am always on the hunt for new soaps to try, which is why I am so grateful that Scott sent me those sample to try out. I can tell you right now, there is always a distinct difference to soap fragrance, before and after being wet. But so far, in a dry state, the LIME was calling to me. I will try them out in the next shave, with my new scuttle!

Do you find the shape of the scuttle (deep and narrow) to be odd?

I have a similar scuttle and always wished there was more room to swish a brush around.

That said, makes great warm lather!

Yes, I do agree, the shape is a bit odd, but from what I can tell, all scuttles are this way? And yes, I too, could tell from the stock photo's, that I would have preferred it to be a bit larger for my big brush. But I am not going to complain about that, know why? Cause once I've massaged warm lather into my face, from a Maseto Avatar Silver Tipped Badger brush, the facial massage is like no other!

I was honestly skeptical at first, weather or not the heat from the hot water, would penetrate the ceramic wall, enough to make a difference with the lather. I was pleasantly surprised, I can tell you that. Nice and warm! You know what else too? If you just keep your brush in the scuttle like I did, it also keeps the lather that is currently loaded in the brush warm as well! I should have mentioned that, just didn't think of it lol.

Great looking scuttle. I bought one from Georgetown pottery a few weeks ago and I absolutely love mine. Warm lather is an absolute joy to use.

Thank you so much, I couldn't agree with you more! There is nothing like beautiful hand made pottery, to brighten your day! Warm lather is a 100% must have IMO, absolutely agree!

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Another very thorough review... well done, Chris.

Thank you so much Kim, I try to be informative, as well as entertaining, glad you liked it. So tell me buddy, are you going to get yourself a scuttle, or are you going to hold out on me? What will it take for me to use my amazing enabling powers to convince you? HEHE 😝

This is the type of pottery, that you could place this in the middle of the living room table, and it will instantly become a conversation starter, when you have company over.
Lets see, holds water and is sitting in the living room...
How do we put this... your guest come over and try to figure out how you smoke it! :001_tt2:
(grgl, grgl, grgl)

They really are beautiful, I remember seeing a behind the scenes post by the Captain a couple months ago. Now what else are you going to surprise us with, I am getting exhausted! :turned:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you so much Kim, I try to be informative, as well as entertaining, glad you liked it. So tell me buddy, are you going to get yourself a scuttle, or are you going to hold out on me? What will it take for me to use my amazing enabling powers to convince you? HEHE 😝
So far, keeping my very fine ESC Stef Baxter bowl in hot water in the skin in between passes is keeping my brush/lather hot. I pretty much only make enough lather to fill my brush.. even the brush handle is nice and warm. ;)

I'll tell you what, though... if I buy another bowl it's going to be the Captain's Choice Aquamarine...... it's so beautiful.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Lets see, holds water and is sitting in the living room...
How do we put this... your guest come over and try to figure out how you smoke it! :001_tt2:
(grgl, grgl, grgl)

They really are beautiful, I remember seeing a behind the scenes post by the Captain a couple months ago. Now what else are you going to surprise us with, I am getting exhausted! :turned:

And, I would be laughing so hard, watching that happen in front of me. I'd say, you need a lite? Then I'd say, here, I think you need vitamin B more. 🤣

I am glad that you like the scuttle too, I fell in love with it as soon as I seen it. But it was the love of the company, that made me instantly decide to buy it without question. And its behind the scenes that did the trick for me, yes sir!

Oh, you know you love the surprises, its whats making your life not feel boring these days. I fill your day with adventure and fun on Badger & Blade. But then again, I ate a bowl of chilly today, so maybe I am just full of gas.

So far, keeping my very fine ESC Stef Baxter bowl in hot water in the skin in between passes is keeping my brush/lather hot. I pretty much only make enough lather to fill my brush.. even the brush handle is nice and warm. ;)

I'll tell you what, though... if I buy another bowl it's going to be the Captain's Choice Aquamarine...... it's so beautiful.

Captains Choice and I, are like a forever bond of friendship that never dies. Scott knows what he is doing over there, and thats good, cause it makes it easy for me to decide on what to buy from him. 😝

Excellent 4/20 post 😂

Yes it was! HAHA Yes Sir! 😁

That's what I do: put my copper bowl in hot water.

Top Bottom