What's new

Meißner Tremonia

I got it from a German vendor, the Nassrasur Shop. But they don't ship to the US I believe.

Sorry, i meant that for the OP as his thing says he's in Britain. However i live about an hour from Dortmund so if you need a hand getting it shipped to the US i don't mind helping out.

Oh misunderstanding here lol I'm from Austria, so thx but I can get my hands on the stuff. ;)

In Britain I think either Shaving Station or Shaving Time has them.

I am a big fan of lavender and plan to make an order. If I were to order another puck which should it be? I know...YMMV. Let's take the Scottish one of the table--it seems to be too polarizing.

-Mark

I am a big fan of lavender and plan to make an order. If I were to order another puck which should it be? I know...YMMV. Let's take the Scottish one of the table--it seems to be too polarizing.

Salty Sea Sage.
Dark Limes.

There are other soaps out there with many of the scents that Meißner Tremonia offer, although what Meißner Tremonia do with their scents is quite sublime and a serious cut above. My two suggestions are because Salty Sea Sage and Dark Limes are two which have no equal out there - nobody else is doing anything like them.

Well, you have confirmed my instinct...those were the two I was leaning toward.

Can I order direct from MT? Do they ship to the US?

Thanks.

-Mark

Go to: http://www.meissner-tremonia.de/index.php?lang=EN ... click Menu in the top right and then drop down to "Where to Buy", picking your country.

I have a couple of samples of their "cream" (pretty stiff for a cream) that I tossed into the Gifts and Care cart from an order last month. Haven't tried them yet but they do smell good. Anyone know if the cream is supposed to be as good as the soap?

I have a couple of samples of their "cream" (pretty stiff for a cream) that I tossed into the Gifts and Care cart from an order last month. Haven't tried them yet but they do smell good. Anyone know if the cream is supposed to be as good as the soap?
when you say "cream" do you mean to say "paste"? I have never tried the pastes, but most reviewers say they are the same as the soaps, only softer. Therefore they load a bit more easily. Most reviewers (not all) actually prefer the pastes slightly to the soaps.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of MT soaps. I tried the Dark Limes and the Pink Grapefruit. The lime soap didn't smell like limes. The grapefruit had no grapefruit in it that I could detect. Both scents were kind of medicinal to my nose.

Furthermore, these soaps make a very strange lather. It's almost like a two-layer lather. It's hard for me to describe, but I'll try. The lather looks airy when you're making it, and it doesn't matter what method I try, it ends up airier than I'd like it to be. Once applied to the face, it seems to go to a two-layer concoction. That is to say, that the top part is airy, but then right up against the face there is a thin layer of almost adherent lather that makes me want to apply more pressure to the razor in order to scrape it off. Some of it always wants to remain behind. Slickness is fair. Cushion is pretty good. Post-shave face feel is pretty good.

In other words, it shaves a lot better than it looks.

But overall, I didn't like it. First, I can't make the creamy, yogurt-y lather that I prefer no matter what I do. Second, the two scents I tried were generally unpleasant.

That's unfortunate Randall. I really haven't had any trouble achieving yogurt with it the couple of times I've used it. Additionally, my lather was never airy like you noticed. Vastly different experiences.

That's unfortunate Randall. I really haven't had any trouble achieving yogurt with it the couple of times I've used it. Additionally, my lather was never airy like you noticed. Vastly different experiences.
Interesting. I tried loading with a dry-ish brush and adding water gradually (my usual method), loading with a wetter brush, adding water very slowly versus more at a time, lathering for a longer period of time, lathering more gently, lathering more vigorously, keeping the lather relatively dry, making it relatively wet, and no matter what I did, I got a fluffy lather.
Oh, well.

Glad you are enjoying it.

I'm really enjoying all three of my Meissner Tremonia shaving pastes--Exotic Elemi, Woody Almond and... Strong 'N Scottish! The scents of the first two are very pleasant, as described above. The third smells to my nose like a peaty, well-aged single malt scotch--what a way to wake up in the morning!

I find them very good latherers, all three. I use a damp, not wet, synthetic brush to load for about ten seconds. I then add about a tablespoon of water to my trusty scuttle and go to town. Usually I end up adding a little more water. Huge amounts of slick lather ensue. No issues for me.

I just tried a sample of the Pink Grapefruit. To me it smelled like bubble gum. Not sure it is enough to change from my rotation of Salty Sea Sage and Lavender but worth a consideration. As for Strong N Scottish, my brother used his sample of it one day and the men on the elevator thought he had gone to the Bohemian Club for breakfast...leather, cigar, scotch and that old club scent you only get from a place like that...

Hm, so this thread is back from the dead..... But it's still interesting..
I have Dark Limes. I wasn't a fan... It's a rather weak scent, a rather poor lather... I'm not sure if soaps have just gotten 'better' in the last few years with all the new artisans, or it maybe my tub is just 'old' :)
Eitherway, I guess I'll have to take it off the 'for sale' block, and try it a couple more times.

Thank you for an excellent review. It wasn't Yesterday I last had the pleasure to read anything by your hand. :001_smile
Thank you all for an excellent thread with many insightful responses.

I won't buy any M-T also I'm afraid. There is only room for a certain number of shaving soaps in my cabinet, at least if I'm going to be able to use them up in my lifetime. My current stock tells me that I subconsciously believe that I'm going to die at the age of 107 with lather all over my face and a shaving brush in my hand.

Top Bottom