What's new

The Big Tobacco Pipe Information Thread

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'll also add that with bent pipes, there are a couple of schools of thought on where they should be drilled. Some folks think they should be drilled so the draft hole enters right at the bottom of the chamber. Kind of makes sense because you won't burn tobacco below the top of the draft hole and you want to burn it all the way down. Some folks think the draft hole should be drilled so that it points down to the center of the heel. This means the hole enters the chamber a little above the very bottom. If you were to insert a pipe cleaner through the mortise toward the bowl, the tip of it would touch the bottom middle of the chamber. The explanation for this I've heard is that it makes the bowl smoke better and more evenly (something to do with advanced physics and the venturi effect, no doubt), plus the little bit of tobacco that's left in the bottom absorbs moisture and gunk and the smoke tastes better. Which is right? I don't know. I have pipes drilled both ways, and can't say I notice much of a difference.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
From what I've read, some say it affects the flavor (there's always some that do and some that don't).
Are these crystals just silica? I'm sure they are safe for inhalation use, but it's just very hard to find exactly what they are made of.
Maybe the Nording stones or clay chips might work as well?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
On various sites I've run across several of these enamel painted Butz Choquin pipes. Has anybody seen these?
I've never seen "painted" pipes and am wondering if this is a ploy to be able to sell seconds or pipes that have some serious flaws in the briar. Any ideas? Is this a new thing or was this done in days of yore?

butz_choquin_bc_formula_1700_1.jpg

On various sites I've run across several of these enamel painted Butz Choquin pipes. Has anybody seen these?
I've never seen "painted" pipes and am wondering if this is a ploy to be able to sell seconds or pipes that have some serious flaws in the briar. Any ideas? Is this a new thing or was this done in days of yore?

View attachment 1381177
There are a couple of European? Manufacturers that have lacquered „modern“ pipes in their portfolio. I find them visually unappealing and would also think that a closed surface is not ideal for a pipe. Nevertheless the must sell otherwise we wouldn’t see them in such quantities.

Personally I would rather buy a poor grained or rusticated basket pipe than spending 100+ on something lacquered.

Here is a red/orange Big Ben for instance. Compared to the stained it is 9 euros more so definitely not a cheap(er) pipe.

95557588-34BC-4888-8AA6-ED6305B29156.jpeg

19AB3020-FDED-4D4F-AA10-BE1D556A3F84.jpeg

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There are a couple of European? Manufacturers that have lacquered „modern“ pipes in their portfolio. I find them visually unappealing and would also think that a closed surface is not ideal for a pipe. Nevertheless the must sell otherwise we wouldn’t see them in such quantities.

Personally I would rather buy a poor grained or rusticated basket pipe than spending 100+ on something lacquered.

Here is a red/orange Big Ben for instance. Compared to the stained it is 9 euros more so definitely not a cheap(er) pipe.

View attachment 1381182

View attachment 1381183
Yeah, just seems odd to me. I mean, there are folks that debate whether you should even shellac a pipe, let alone paint one with enamel. If it were cheap enough I might consider getting one and stripping it down to briar, the problem is that you just don't know what fills are there if you do that.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've seen several US made painted pipes in the past, so it was "a thing". Particularly painted white, a poor man's meerschaum? I have a Dr. Grabow "Viscount" of my father's that is red lacquered, probably a "Christmas" pipe. I also have one of his Medicos that appears that the stummel was black lacquered and has a silver metal appliqué overlayed so that the lacquered bowl shows through openings in the silver.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
That's Fugly, IMO. I think it's fine for a maker to express a little flamboyance with the stems, kind of like an otherwise conservative dresser expressing himself though wild neckties, but a painted stummel?!

No thank you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's Fugly, IMO. I think it's fine for a maker to express a little flamboyance with the stems, kind of like an otherwise conservative dresser expressing himself though wild neckties, but a painted stummel?!

No thank you.
Yeah, don't do me either.
I just picked this up for a ridiculous price, so I'm going to try to strip it down to briar to see what's under all that enamel!

s-l1600.png

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Just ordered my first Meerschaum (I hope, have not heard if it is still available). Found this nice link on Meerschaum handling and care. Posting for general knowledge.

Edit: I'm not affiliated with that site, and they do not appear to have a blog [/disclaimer], but I do note they have some very affordable Meers there. I wanted to dip my toe in the water without a big outlay, but this is not where I ordered from. Just thought I'd share a place I stumbled upon which has pipes you can try out without taking out a second mortgage to do it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just ordered my first Meerschaum (I hope, have not heard if it is still available). Found this nice link on Meerschaum handling and care. Posting for general knowledge.

Edit: I'm not affiliated with that site, and they do not appear to have a blog [/disclaimer], but I do note they have some very affordable Meers there. I wanted to dip my toe in the water without a big outlay, but this is not where I ordered from. Just thought I'd share a place I stumbled upon which has pipes you can try out without taking out a second mortgage to do it.
It's tough finding just what you want. I'm in need of 3 more pipes (need - :lol1:) and it's problematic:
A nice meerschaum, perhaps a topkapi, this really isn't an issue except trying to decide what design I want.

A gourd calabash with meerschaum bowl - most places just don't have them. They have the wood body instead of gourd. The few gourd ones that are available are L shaped instead of U shaped if you get my meaning.

A pointed Acorn or similar Churchwarden in briar, clay or meerschaum with a black stem. I can find the acorn shape but they have these bizarre colored acrylic stems. If I find a black stem, they don't have an acorn shape.

😢

It's tough finding just what you want. I'm in need of 3 more pipes (need - :lol1:) and it's problematic:
A nice meerschaum, perhaps a topkapi, this really isn't an issue except trying to decide what design I want.

A gourd calabash with meerschaum bowl - most places just don't have them. They have the wood body instead of gourd. The few gourd ones that are available are L shaped instead of U shaped if you get my meaning.

A pointed Acorn or similar Churchwarden in briar, clay or meerschaum with a black stem. I can find the acorn shape but they have these bizarre colored acrylic stems. If I find a black stem, they don't have an acorn shape.

😢
How about a Shire Cobbit until you find the right Meer?

Unfortunately Robert Strambach ceased production in 2015, they made the finest Gourd Calabashes in Europe.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
How about a Shire Cobbit until you find the right Meer?

Unfortunately Robert Strambach ceased production in 2015, they made the finest Gourd Calabashes in Europe.
There's two I've found in briar that would work, the Peterson D17 fishtail and a Capri Headmaster. Never heard of Capri, so even though I like the point, I'll probably get the Peterson.
002-029-68632.2336.jpg
IMG_2074__65422.1509540612.jpg

I'm looking at some old Pioneer Calabash pipes. There are a few out there from a couple of places, waiting to hear back.

I have a Capri in a bent egg shape. It smokes alright. I think it's a Savinelli seconds line, but I could be wrong about that. It's a very pretty pipe, but won't pass a cleaner through the stem because of the design. I'd have no problems getting another in a different shape.

Got a question, all. I've been loading my pipes with the 3-pinch method: a first fill which I barely touch, a second that I push down a little more, and the third which I pack firmly. A false light, puff a bit, tamp a little, and relight, and off I go.

For about 20 minutes. Invariably, it seems, the leaf will go out at 18-20 minutes. I tamp a tiny bit to flatten out the ash, then relight, and I'm good usually for about another 10. Then I can decide whether to scoop out the ash and light the last third, or just tap the pipe out.

What causes the 20-minute flameout? Since it happens almost every time with different pipes and blends, I suspect it has something to do with the packing. Perhaps I need to pack the middle third differently? Or is this just normal for the 3-pinch method?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Got a question, all. I've been loading my pipes with the 3-pinch method: a first fill which I barely touch, a second that I push down a little more, and the third which I pack firmly. A false light, puff a bit, tamp a little, and relight, and off I go.

For about 20 minutes. Invariably, it seems, the leaf will go out at 18-20 minutes. I tamp a tiny bit to flatten out the ash, then relight, and I'm good usually for about another 10. Then I can decide whether to scoop out the ash and light the last third, or just tap the pipe out.

What causes the 20-minute flameout? Since it happens almost every time with different pipes and blends, I suspect it has something to do with the packing. Perhaps I need to pack the middle third differently? Or is this just normal for the 3-pinch method?
I do the three layer thing. I fill the bowl to the top, gently tamp down to about the halfway point, and test the draw making sure resistance is like sucking on a straw.
Refill the bowl, and gently tamp down to about three fourths full, and test the draw making sure resistance is like sucking on a straw.
Refill the bowl, and gently tamp down to just below the top of the pipe, and test the draw making sure resistance is like sucking on a straw.
Char light with an easy tamping, then light her up and go.
I tamp and puff lightly during the smoke when I start to see a drop off in delivery, and that greatly reduces the ocassions of having to do a relight.

It works for me pretty well, though relights are not uncommon, depending on the tobacco I'm using and the drying time. I don't think I know anyone who never had a relight.

Top Bottom