What's new

The Big Tobacco Pipe Information Thread

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Question: Dutch ceramic pipes. Anyone have one (or several)

I remember having one of these back in my college days, but it's long gone. They are super cheap, and have some of the characteristics of Meerschaum, I believe, but they are not porous at all. Impossible to burn out, light weight, kept clean, they won't ghost, no breakin, that sort of thing. I'm toying of getting one on a lark just because they are so cheap. IIRC these have a double-walled bowl.

What's the experience around here with them?

View attachment 1365614

Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong about the double wall. The way this one is drilled it may be solid.

View attachment 1365615

I have one of the dutch ceramic pipes - Zenith brand, Old Mokum line. It's a good smoker. It's double-walled, so you get a little calabash effect and it helps keep the ceramic from getting blazing hot. It's a very neutral smoke like clay and I use it for tasting tobaccos. The stem is not the highest quality, but it's serviceable. Also, the gasket that connects the stem to the bowl is super important in these--typically either cork or rubber--and needs to be in good condition to hold the pipe together. I'll also add that these can be tough to clean because of the double-walled nature, so if you're shopping for estate pipes, look for one that looks pretty clean already.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks, Hirsute, I think I'm going new, the American-made, linked above.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I remember having one of these back in my college days, but it's long gone. They are super cheap, and have some of the characteristics of Meerschaum, I believe, but they are not porous at all. Impossible to burn out, light weight, kept clean, they won't ghost, no breakin, that sort of thing. I'm toying of getting one on a lark just because they are so cheap. IIRC these have a double-walled bowl.

View attachment 1365614

Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong about the double wall. The way this one is drilled it may be solid.

View attachment 1365615
I expect they get pretty hot but never tried one so why don’t you Guinea pig one and let us know? One other thing you may want to try is one of the German clay pipes. Some blenders use them when testing blends to get the true flavor. I had one years ago and will get another if I remember when ordering tobacco. As far as the ceramic goes, if you don’t like it, it would look really fine on the mantle.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

View attachment 1365614

View attachment 1365615
I expect they get pretty hot but never tried one so why don’t you Guinea pig one and let us know? One other thing you may want to try is one of the German clay pipes. Some blenders use them when testing blends to get the true flavor. I had one years ago and will get another if I remember when ordering tobacco. As far as the ceramic goes, if you don’t like it, it would look really fine on the mantle.

The single hull of the claypipes smoke hot.
The double hulls (bit like the picture) smoke cool, there is an layer of air between the part that makes the burnchamber and the outer part.
I know somebody that smokes these, but i keep fergetting the brand of pipes. I believe they are french.

But be carefull, they break.

E504ADE2-5095-4541-9318-B88267282C38.jpeg
Dunhill question:

Why have some/all Dunhill pipes that pointy metal tube that extends into the bowl?
It is neither a stinger nor a filter. I’m not sure but I believe I removed it before my first ever smoke with my Diplomat.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So, for a guy who finds himself often wandering through antique shops, what would be some brand names to keep an eye out for?
Obviously
Dunhill
Savinelli
Peterson
Lorenzo
Stanwell
Jeantet
Butz-Choquin
GBD
Rigoletto
Ropp
Comoy

What other current or no longer in production names would be an indicator that it may be a worthwhile purchase?

Last edited:
So, for a guy who finds himself often wandering through antique shops, what would be some brand names to keep an eye out for?
Obviously
Dunhill
Savinelli

What other current or no longer in production names would be an indicator that it may be a worthwhile purchase?
Peterson, of course. Lorenzo. Stanwell. Jeantet and Butz-Choquin. GBD. I have a Rigoletto pot-bowl that I'm pleased with. Ropp is yet another brand, as is Comoy. Lots of choices!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Peterson, of course. Lorenzo. Stanwell. Jeantet and Butz-Choquin. GBD. I have a Rigoletto pot-bowl that I'm pleased with. Ropp is yet another brand, as is Comoy. Lots of choices!
Thank you. Added to the list!
I know there are decent quality pipes out there. Just looking for a clue as to "I saw a XXX pipe, so grabbing it was a no-brainer" kind of thing.
A kind of a no-fail list.
Whether I wind up using them or not, having a good list would help in passing them on here to folks who would appreciate them.

Last edited:
Thank you. Added to the list!
I know there are decent quality pipes out there. Just looking for a clue as to "I saw a XXX pipe, so grabbing it was a no-brainer" kind of thing.
A kind of a no-fail list.
Whether I wind up using them or not, having a good list would help in passing them on here to folks who would appreciate them.
If I go antique-store browsing tomorrow, I'll be looking not only for vintage razors but a vintage pipe in decent condition. It's odd that, when I first got into pipes in the '80s, I was all about the shapes rather than brands (except for my Peterson). Now I pay attention to both.

Lordy, that is gorgeous! I'm fond of lots of shapes, but the various takes on Rhodesian with a slight bent are far and away my favorite.
The shank is oval not round and there is no taper on the upper part…

Pipedia says it’s a Diplomat sibling of the Prince

A bent Rhodesian/Bulldog is also something that I’m looking for :thumbsup:

Savinelli has a nice one with a saddle stem.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Good grief! I am just beginning to become aware of the FDA nonsense surrounding premium cigars, pipe tobaccos, and even pipe making. Some of the stuff I've seen obviously has not come to pass, as artisans are still making pipes, but I should get up to speed on this, as I just read about an unfavorable ruling in the D.C Court of Appeals. It makes me want to post a famous H.L. Mencken quote ... but I won't ... Phil hangs around here. :lol:

Any good links to the current state of affairs? My sense is we've been fighting them off, but may be losing ground. Thanks!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good grief! I am just beginning to become aware of the FDA nonsense surrounding premium cigars, pipe tobaccos, and even pipe making. Some of the stuff I've seen obviously has not come to pass, as artisans are still making pipes, but I should get up to speed on this, as I just read about an unfavorable ruling in the D.C Court of Appeals. It makes me want to post a famous H.L. Mencken quote ... but I won't ... Phil hangs around here. :lol:

Any good links to the current state of affairs? My sense is we've been fighting them off, but may be losing ground. Thanks!
I'm familiar with the quote of which you speak, and I endorse the premise!

Odd question: How do you pronounce the "Georg" in "Georg Jensen" pipes? It's a Danish brand, right, so I'd think it might go as "Gay-Org" -- though it just as easily be regular old English "George." Any idea which?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We had a Danish rep for our company, his name was George and he pronounced it Yor-gay.
So it could be Yorg.

Top Bottom