What's new

The Association of Yates Owners - AYO

I'm a new guy here on B&B and new to wet shaving. I started with a Ralf Aust SR, but soon realized this was a bit of a reach. I bought a Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta to use on my head and to touch up my face after the SR - I mean really touch up after the SR shave. I like the Bayonetta but I've heard so many good things about the Yates Winning, I think it might the choice for me for a head shaving razor. I also like the fact that it's family operation here in the USA. So, I pulled the trigger and I'm on the one to three week waiting list.
Welcome, I’m still new here as well. B&B is great and I love my Yates razors! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too. Here’s my Winning and Merica razors both phenomenal. If I had to say (I’m no expert but based on personal experience) the Winning razor is a tad milder than the Merica but again both are premo in my book.

IMG_4167.jpegIMG_4168.jpeg

I was about to pull the trigger on a Yates 921 ti with an EH plate, and then the BYOR was unavailable. Later in the week, the Aylsworth Drakkant ti was back up for purchase and went with that. Since it was made by Yates, is it still considered a Yates razor? I'll get that 921 eventually...
Would love to see pics of your new Aylsworth razor! Congrats.

Today was a shave day, so I thought I would try out my new 921 Ti H SB plate and do a comparison shave with my 921 SS H scalloped base plate.

The SS does seem to retain a little more water than the Ti plate. I had not noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out. The SS H was a fraction more efficient but that would be expected as the scalloped plate has a little more blade exposure than the solid bar and the SS weighs more than the Ti (18.3g vs 10g). Both gave an excellent shave. The extra water retention of the SS may have made it glide a little better with the lather I had. I am sure slicker lather would have removed any difference in this department.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my other 921 top caps and plates and thought I would post them for others who are considering different metals:
SS top cap vs. Ti top cap (15.3g vs. 8.7g)
SS M scalloped vs. Ti M solid bar (19.1g vs. 11.5g)
SS H scalloped vs Ti H solid bar (18.3g vs 10g)
Ti H OC 9.6g
SS EH solid bar 17.9g
The original brass hybrid plate (M geometry according to Jake) 20.5g
I'm glad someone else can feel the water retention. It's slight, but I know I feel it.

So I had a little fun with my Yates family of razors. Weird, I put the Merica and Winning razors together and woke up to a 921-M the other day 🤣. I swapped the long handle from the 921-M with the Merica and that makes the 921-M the perfect length for me.
They are Y’s if you can’t tell 🤪
One big happy family now:
IMG_4461.jpegIMG_4462.jpegIMG_4463.jpeg

After a little time with my Ti 921, I like it much better than the SS 921. It took a little getting used to the fact that it shaves a little drier than the steel. It's hard to explain, but the steel seems to hold on to water better than the Ti. I've actually adjusted my lather to accommodate. It's probably just me, but I'd like to hear if you have a similar experience.
Interesting. What's the surface finish of your Ti 921?

I recently got a Ti 921 with stonewash finish, and when I finished washing it after my shave I noticed it obviously grabbed a lot of water on it -- on the top cap, under the baseplate, even though I firmly shaken it multiple times, it still got a film of water on it that can be wiped off with a piece of paper towel.

Compared with a satin finish of Blackbird Ti, completely dries after a few shakes.

They are both very smooth to me (under my still very limited experiences).

When I first ordered it, I went without the handle. I thought I would use the Overlander handle with some washers. However, after a day and a half of pondering, I contacted Jake and he added the handle to my build. I’m glad I did. The unmatched pieces would have drove me crazy. 🙄

My first 921 I had the 4” stainless handle and I hated it. Too long and narrow. When I went to order it in brass, the 921 was not offered with a choice of handle length. I inherited this brass 921-H and the previous owner had paired the head with a cheap Chinese brass handle.

Interesting. What's the surface finish of your Ti 921?

I recently got a Ti 921 with stonewash finish, and when I finished washing it after my shave I noticed it obviously grabbed a lot of water on it -- on the top cap, under the baseplate, even though I firmly shaken it multiple times, it still got a film of water on it that can be wiped off with a piece of paper towel.

Compared with a satin finish of Blackbird Ti, completely dries after a few shakes.

They are both very smooth to me (under my still very limited experiences).
I bought the as machined finished just like my SS version.

I ordered a 921 Ti 3.5" bead blast custom handle this week. It will be lighter than my Timeless Razors Ti Crown TRH8 handle and I will not need to use nylon washers to fill the channel of the base plate. It should fit in my Blackland Sabre inkwell stand like my original Yates SS 4" handle does. YatesStirlingRudyLongHandle.JPG

Well the maiden shave is in the books. It was a great shave; 3-pass+ BBS-. That was with the 7th use of the blade too. I’m looking forward to trying a fresh blade with it tomorrow. 😊

Oh and the Karve Overlander stand fits it perfectly. I just think the color is a little off. Maybe bronze or one of the aluminum stands would be a better match.

Razor: 921-M, 1st use
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (7)
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Soap: Proraso White
Brush: EJ Silvertip
AS: RR Sicily

Have a blessed weekend men.
IMG_3932.jpeg

I have the Merica razor and I am looking to expand my Yates collection. My first instinct is to pick up the regular 921-M, but am wondering if there is a big enough difference to warrant getting it. I am hoping it is a slight step up in efficiency, but hear the M and H plate are similar in feel, but H plate is more efficient. The blade gap sounds too large for my liking, as I shave daily and do not really need to mow down any major growth.

Top Bottom