What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

Here’s my report on my first shave with my Kampfe Star New Model -

First, I loaded up with a modern Gem PTFE. I used a blade that had about five or six shaves on it. After reading about how aggressive this type of razor can shave, I thought it might help to use a blade with some of the keenness removed.

I lathered up with a tallow based shave soap (Cella) to provide as much cushion as possible.

I’ll use my sixty’s era Gillette Super Speed as a baseline since to me it provides the easiest and smoothest shave I can get from a “vintage” safety razor. On a scale of 0-10, 0 being least aggressive and 10 most, I find the Super Speed in the zero to one range. A Heljestrand lather catcher and a Henckels Rapide with stropped wedge blades are about five to six in aggressiveness. The Star New Model, to me, on a first shave, was in the seven to eight range for aggressiveness.

I found the Star to be very “technique-y” and had to keep changing angles to find the optimum shave angle. I’m not sure if I did. I did not cut myself, but did end up with a couple of slow weepers. And, as I’m typing this I can still feel irritation two hours after shaving, something I’m not used to experiencing with the Super Speed, nor even with a straight razor. I did get a fairly close shave, but at a price. The “Aftershave Test” was a strong positive, even with Witch Hazel, which is normally soothing.

So, my final verdict? I’m not ready to give one as far as performance. I’d still like to try wedge blades, and maybe a little more practice with maybe a fresh PTFE. But the Star LC definitely demands some respect. As far as it’s history and design, it’s a wonderful piece, and I’m happy to own one if for no other reason than to have it in my collection. Whether or not I continue to use it for shaving is yet to be determined.

Great shave report. I'd like to see a picture from the back and the side with the PTFE loaded. I'm curious if the blade sits similar to the way mine do or not.

20240303_081307.jpg

Lather Catcher Sunday
Razor: Kampfe Brothers Model 1880 Prototype
Blade: Gem Personna SS Coated & 3D printed Adapter for Swedish Lather Catcher
Brush: DS Cosmetics Barber Pole Synthetic
Soap: Shulton Old Spice
After: Old Spice Original
Notes: It's the first Sunday of March so that means lather catcher Sunday shave. Only a one day's growth shave. I have to be honest, the more I use this razor the more I like it. Three pass BBs shave with no cuts and no irritation. With the adapter and a gem blade it's nice medium aggression, I have no idea how it would be with a wedge blade as I don't have the skill to hone one good enough. The only weakness I see with this razor is that it is solid behind the open combs and traps soap and hair between the blade and the razor. They remedied that with the production model with a bunch of stamped holes back there. Still boggles my mind that this razor is almost 144 years old. A happy Sunday to all my fellow lather catcher shavers, and happy shaves!

Attachments

• 20240303_081806.jpg
    20240303_081806.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 12
Lather Catcher Sunday

20240302_082602.jpg

Razor: VIC Lather Catcher
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Truefitt & Hill Wellington Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Grafton
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

I picked up another Gem Junior bar from my local antique shop yesterday. I have been calling these 1901's which is incorrect, by the chart and correct me if I'm wrong the left is a 1907 and the right is a 1910 or 1911
20240310_212723.jpg
Well It cleaned up very nicely, scrubbed it Dawn with some hot water and a toothbrush. This morning I did face shave with it, and this afternoon I did a head shave with it. Both were excellent smooth shaves I opened up a scab during the head shave that wasn't the razors fault. I'm happy I finally got through a head shave with a lather catcher. I definitely will be using this one more for head shaves in the future.
Face shave
20240310_085831.jpg
Head Shave
20240310_152032.jpg
Thank you @Anchovie666 for the help!

Attachments

• 20240310_212227.jpg
    20240310_212227.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240309_195649.jpg
    20240309_195649.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3