What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I have just received this book:
proxy.php

We're all not worthy.
His collection is truly astonishing.
Nice!!! Should be helpful to your work, yes?

Flintstone65

Great shave this GEMonday, when you have great gear and reasonable hand technique to knock off a great shave it is not hard and in fact a joy to shave.
Razor: GEM Junior bar 1909:001_wub:
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (3)
Soap: Taylor of old Bond St Sandal wood :001_wub:
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Pre shave : Wet the face + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Nivea refreshing splash + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS
gemonday-july15-2019-2-jpg.999206

For those folks who bought a used GEM without instructions these simple pamphlets should help!

Have some great shaves!
It's been far too long since my last Lather Catcher shave -- I've been on the road with some injectors, but soon I too can enjoy a GEM Jr. Bar shave....really looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing!!!

D

dangerousrazor

Thanks to the generosity @GAW9576 offered to me, I could test the blade adapter. It didnt need any modification.
It fitted my razor snuggly.

It actually worked. Althought I need to shave some more to get used to it, it really tamed the harshness of Star lather catcher.
20190716_205623.jpg
20190716_205640.jpg
20190716_205647.jpg
20190716_205652.jpg

Flintstone65

That’s great news, congrats!!! I really need to spend more time with my adapters. I haven’t used them on the Lather Catchers with blade stops....those often have adjustable side clips which I’m sure helps. Where I’ve had issues is the ones with no blade stops and fixed side clips which seem to be too narrow/tight for the simulated wedge to fit through.

D

dangerousrazor

That’s great news, congrats!!! I really need to spend more time with my adapters. I haven’t used them on the Lather Catchers with blade stops....those often have adjustable side clips which I’m sure helps. Where I’ve had issues is the ones with no blade stops and fixed side clips which seem to be too narrow/tight for the simulated wedge to fit through.

Thanks! I was not sure if it could help reduce the harshness. But it really did. I really thank @GAW9576 for giving me the chance to try the adapter. I've really wanted to use my star lather catcher because it is so beautiful. And now I am very happy that I can use it without worry or hesitation.

Yes. Thanks for your kindness. I set my mind on selling star lather catcher. But thanks to you, it becomes one of my favorite razors! :)

Awesome, now that you like that one I look forward to seeing your next lather catcher acquisition, like the Lays potato chips slogan "betcha can't eat just one" Lather catches should have the slogan Betcha can't own just one.

D

dangerousrazor

Awesome, now that you like that one I look forward to seeing your next lather catcher acquisition, like the Lays potato chips slogan "betcha can't eat just one" Lather catches should have the slogan Betcha can't own just one.

Of course, I cant have just one. So I have some :) I'd posted some pics of my lather catchers like Heljestrand and Star bar.

And here are my recent acquisitions

15632918778897863121691671373535.jpg
1563291908580621224283257787404.jpg
15632919300634134140989951981883.jpg
15632919729883796114340511668432.jpg
15632920232601850934800721809890.jpg
15632920434852819380767246638313.jpg

Of course, I cant have just one. So I have some :) I'd posted some pics of my lather catchers like Heljestrand and Star bar.

And here are my recent acquisitions

View attachment 999490 View attachment 999491 View attachment 999492 View attachment 999493 View attachment 999494 View attachment 999495

Wow, very very nice. They both look beautiful.
I have a hard time keeping track of collection and what I've posted, I'm not surprised I can't keep track of what others have posted.

Nice!!! Should be helpful to your work, yes?
A little bit. For example, it confirms what I thought about the head of the Sterling HR-S2 (pretty much like a Model HR-14). Except that the picture he has (complete box with 14!! blades, ornate sterling silver handle, stropping machine and spare!! sterling head) just blows my mind.
I think I will have an opportunity to see the collection myself soon. :001_cool:

D

dangerousrazor

I used star lather catcher with blade adapter. I said it tamed my lather catcher, judging from brief raw shaving on my sideburn. Shaving on my neck was a whole different story. Reduced harshness was not enough. I got weepers on my neck. So I stopped shaving in the middle, thinking I would finish shaving on my remaining part with my injector.

Then I came up with an idea. The adapted blade fitted very tightly on my lather catcher. So chances seemed to be good that it would fit my hoe type Razol razor which uses a bigger proprietary wedge blade.

Bingo! It fitted perfectly as if it had been made for the Razol razor. And the shaving was superb! It felt like shaving with MMOC but more efficient and smoother. I was very surprised and pleased again!! :)

15633577216485012595797983466366.jpg
15633577398663435921726423523710.jpg
15633577625956971080005982335629.jpg
15633577912941508497083172002132.jpg

I used star lather catcher with blade adapter. I said it tamed my lather catcher, judging from brief raw shaving on my sideburn. Shaving on my neck was a whole different story. Reduced harshness was not enough. I got weepers on my neck. So I stopped shaving in the middle, thinking I would finish shaving on my remaining part with my injector.

Then I came up with an idea. The adapted blade fitted very tightly on my lather catcher. So chances seemed to be good that it would fit my hoe type Razol razor which uses a bigger proprietary wedge blade.

Bingo! It fitted perfectly as if it had been made for the Razol razor. And the shaving was superb! It felt like shaving with MMOC but more efficient and smoother. I was very surprised and pleased again!! :)

View attachment 999642 View attachment 999643 View attachment 999644 View attachment 999645

Very cool. It looks good in the razor too.

Flintstone65

Thanks. I never thought this razor could be put into use due to the necessity of a bigger wedge blade. Now it deserves to get my love :)
Excellent!!! I've got a couple of hoe type razors, and I really like them. They shave well for me, and I find real beauty in their simple / straightforward design.

D

dangerousrazor

Excellent!!! I've got a couple of hoe type razors, and I really like them. They shave well for me, and I find real beauty in their simple / straightforward design.

Thanks. At first, I didnt like its design. But as time passes, it grows on me :)

Not a part of the Association, but I just needed to say I had no idea these beautiful razors existed until very recently. Now I am trying to get one, but don't want to pay to much. Afraid I may have to dish out some cash to get one, but it may be worth it to have such an amazing part of history.

Flintstone65

Not a part of the Association, but I just needed to say I had no idea these beautiful razors existed until very recently. Now I am trying to get one, but don't want to pay to much. Afraid I may have to dish out some cash to get one, but it may be worth it to have such an amazing part of history.
Welcome!!! As a fellow admirer of the Lather Catchers (LC), I can wholeheartedly recommend picking one up. My suggestion would be a GEM Junior Bar (not to be confused with the non-LC GEM Junior). It's a great shaver, comes with blade stops for modern blades (although you need to double-check that they haven't been sheared off or worn down through the years) and can (sometimes) be found for a decent price on the big auction site.

I was always a thrifty-collector and the way I ended up moving north of the $10 to $20 range was by thinking about my very razor acquisition (the Merkur 34c). I ended up paying about $40 shipped for my brand new 34c (probably overpaid) and never really took to it. It was okay, but nothing terribly special. I keep that in mind when I see something vintage in that price range and realize it has (to me at least) more beauty and intrinsic value, and that helps me inch up the cost scale. I'm not one of those guys who can part with 3-figures for a razor -- I'd be headed for divorce-court if I was -- and I've found some very nice user ones that keep me solidly in the 2-digit realm.

Please keep hanging out here, enjoy the view and feel free to ask questions. I'll be posting another one from my collection before long -- I've got more than a few that I haven't put on the site yet -- and I'm sure others will be stopping buy with their beauties.

Thanks again for coming in and posting!

I have to agree with @Flintstone65 the Gem Jr. Bar is a fantastic razor. It shaves very comfortably and is still quite efficient with a modern Gem blade. And the are beautiful razors. I like mine so much I traded a pretty nice straight razor to get a second one, and I'm not usually into having doubles.
If you keep an eye out and be patient you should be able to pick one up for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom