What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

I just noticed that the article as it stands now ends with a cliff-hanger.
There were some quality issues with version three. The two halves and the blade wouldn't hold together.
Nothing slight modifications wouldn't fix.
I should really put some more effort into them, but where to find the time?

Ps: Can I use your images, please?

I get not having time for projects.
Yes sir you can use the pictures I've posted here. If you want any other pictures let me know what type you're looking for.
If you say where the photos come from you can just say B&B member GAW9576.

I get not having time for projects.
Yes sir you can use the pictures I've posted here. If you want any other pictures let me know what type you're looking for.
If you say where the photos come from you can just say B&B member GAW9576.
Thank you.

D

dangerousrazor

Very nice Razors. I hope the adapter works for you.
I wonder if the razor.click version would work better than the ones i have which my friend picked up on etsy. They might have different print accuracy/quality.

Thanks for the compliment. I really hope it works for my star lather catcher. :) I'll report when it arrives and how it works on my star lather catcher.

D

dangerousrazor

The shaves feel different from my 3. The GEMs are milder (not as much blade feel or audio) as my Kampfe Bros lather catchers. And my older GEM (more script on the back) is a better shaver (closer, in my opinion) than the younger lather catcher (plainer back). I think it's because my older GEM's safety bar has a much tighter close/spring, so the blade is held in place better. Given that both of your GEMs look like they are in great shape, you may not have a noticeable difference in performance. I definitely agree that the Lather Catchers themselves tend to deliver a nice smooth/close shave.

As for your handle question, I usually see that stars-handle on older GEM (and GEM Jr Bar) lather catchers, and the model I have like yours (the younger model) tends to have a longer (1 piece) knurled handle. That said, I think GEM was always mixing and matching their sets, as well as using up whatever stock they had on hand, so it may be "original" to your razor....if any of that makes sense.

I agree with your opinion on the Gem lather catcher. They(Gem Junior Bar and Star Bar) are by far the smoothest lather catchers in my collection. Your reply that older Gem is a better shaver really fuels my already existing desire toward wooden handled Gem Junior Bar! :)

and thanks for clarifying my suspicion on the authenticity of the Gem lather catcher's handle. :)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've finally posted my experience modifying a blade for my Eagle Improved Lather Catcher: Modifying a GEM Blade for Eagle Lather Catchers

I've got mad respect for folks who produce "how to" instructions/videos....I use them all the time, but I have to admit that documenting what you're doing, while trying to do it, is not easy and I am clearly a not-great at it; but hopefully some part of it will help someone.

I just found this thread after reading how to modify a Gem blade to fit an Eagle lather catcher. I’ll definitely be following this thread and am now encouraged to revisit a couple of Kampfe razors I have. I’ll post up some pictures later and will hone up the wedge blades. This should be fun.

Flintstone65

I just found this thread after reading how to modify a Gem blade to fit an Eagle lather catcher. I’ll definitely be following this thread and am now encouraged to revisit a couple of Kampfe razors I have. I’ll post up some pictures later and will hone up the wedge blades. This should be fun.
Excellent, glad to have you here, Jim!!! :a14::clap::a14:

Which Kampfe lather catchers have blade stops?

My Types HR-14A and HR-14B (1902 patent dates) have them and I can see them on images of Model HR13-A (1901 patent date). Looking at the Star patents I see blade stops first mentioned in 1902.
If you have any earlier models, could you please check if they have blade stops and let me know?
I bet the Sterling Silver HR-S2 had blade stops, but I can't find any images showing the guard. The bits I can see look very much like the HR-14 models (spring clips etc).
I assume none of you gents has an S2 in a drawer somewhere?

Flintstone65

My Types HR-14A and HR-14B (1902 patent dates) have them and I can see them on images of Model HR13-A (1901 patent date). Looking at the Star patents I see blade stops first mentioned in 1902.
If you have any earlier models, could you please check if they have blade stops and let me know?
I bet the Sterling Silver HR-S2 had blade stops, but I can't find any images showing the guard. The bits I can see look very much like the HR-14 models (spring clips etc).
I'll check and get back to you!

I don't remember what my model designation is but it has blade stops. And no adjuster screws on top, It has the spring blade retainers.

20190619_090801.jpg
20190610_221113.jpg

A lovely HR-9A you have there. razors.click - ASR Timeline
And there goes my theory. I'll have to check every model then :)
Could I use your images for the above page, please? With giving credit of course.

Sure thing. And if you want pictures of anything in more detail just let me know what you are looking for.

I'm getting old and confused. You gave me permission already.

I'm having the same issue and I'm only 42, I have had good results with a supplement from Host Defense, it's the lions mane mushroom supplement for memorie and nerve support.

Somehow I missed a lot of posts here lately even though I'm watching the thread. Great stuff on here as before!

I acquired a GEM Junior Bar recently, finally had time to take some pics today. Haven't cleaned it up yet. Took pics with my other GEM lather catcher and my Micromatic next to it for size comparison. I didn't expect it to be that small! Haha

20190707_164235.jpg
20190707_164249.jpg
20190707_164415.jpg

Somehow I missed a lot of posts here lately even though I'm watching the thread. Great stuff on here as before!

I acquired a GEM Junior Bar recently, finally had time to take some pics today. Haven't cleaned it up yet. Took pics with my other GEM lather catcher and my Micromatic next to it for size comparison. I didn't expect it to be that small! Haha

View attachment 997172 View attachment 997173 View attachment 997174

Congrats, the Jr. Bar is one of my best shavers.
Should clean up to be a great shaver. It looks like it has good blade stops.

View attachment 997172 View attachment 997173 View attachment 997174
You’re going to like the junior bar. It’s a very smooth razor. I’ve loaded mine with a modern Gem blade a few times and have gotten some great shaves from it.

Flintstone65

Wow, I looked away for a couple of hours and great things have been posted.

@CelticFox -- congrats on the new GEM Jr Bar -- your new one is my favorite model....looking forward to hearing how you like it.

@riverrun -- if I'm remembering correctly, I've got a 7A, 5B and a 2A (in addition to 14A and 14B), I'll check the older 3 and get back to you. I don't know if I can do as well with pictures @GAW9576, but I'll try.

I don't know if I can do as well with pictures @GAW9576, but I'll try.

I think you have been doing quite well with your photos, the lettering can be difficult to capture especially on curved surfaces. Bright lighting to the sides and something dark reflecting on the razor and trying different angles seams to help.

Flintstone65

So @riverrun -- I can say without hesitation that my HR-7A, HR-5B, and (of course) my HR-2A are absent blade stops. Pics are below -- I kept them thumb nail sized, but I can get them to you in any format you need -- or different poses. They are more user than collector (and I do have the handles with strop attachment for them), so they may not be useful....but you're welcome to use/repost them. You can find HR-2A pics on the first page of this thread. I can grab pics of my 14A and 14B if you need them. And I'm always on the look out for a HR-S1 or HR-S2 -- I like Sterling Silver; and the HR-S2 with a mother-of-pearl handle would be awe-inspiring.

Model HR-5B
IMG_1920.jpg IMG_1918.jpg IMG_1917.jpg IMG_1916.jpg

Model 7A
IMG_1926.jpg IMG_1925.jpg IMG_1924.jpg IMG_1923.jpg IMG_1921.jpg

Top Bottom