What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I think you have been doing quite well with your photos, the lettering can be difficult to capture especially on curved surfaces. Bright lighting to the sides and something dark reflecting on the razor and trying different angles seams to help.
Thank you -- for both the kind words and the photo tips. I played around a little with lighting this time, but I hadn't thought about something dark reflecting on the razor.

So @riverrun -- I can say without hesitation that my HR-7A, HR-5B, and (of course) my HR-2A are absent blade stops. Pics are below -- I kept them thumb nail sized, but I can get them to you in any format you need -- or different poses. They are more user than collector (and I do have the handles with strop attachment for them), so they may not be useful....but you're welcome to use/repost them. You can find HR-2A pics on the first page of this thread. I can grab pics of my 14A and 14B if you need them. And I'm always on the look out for a HR-S1 or HR-S2 -- I like Sterling Silver; and the HR-S2 with a mother-of-pearl handle would be awe-inspiring.

Model HR-5B
View attachment 997342 View attachment 997343 View attachment 997344 View attachment 997345

Model 7A
View attachment 997347 View attachment 997348 View attachment 997349 View attachment 997350 View attachment 997351
Thanks for the info and pics.
I'm not trying to publish a coffee table book, just have pics that allow identification and your images serve the purpose just fine.

So @riverrun -- I can say without hesitation that my HR-7A, HR-5B, and (of course) my HR-2A are absent blade stops. Pics are below -- I kept them thumb nail sized, but I can get them to you in any format you need -- or different poses. They are more user than collector (and I do have the handles with strop attachment for them), so they may not be useful....but you're welcome to use/repost them. You can find HR-2A pics on the first page of this thread. I can grab pics of my 14A and 14B if you need them. And I'm always on the look out for a HR-S1 or HR-S2 -- I like Sterling Silver; and the HR-S2 with a mother-of-pearl handle would be awe-inspiring.

Model HR-5B
View attachment 997342 View attachment 997343 View attachment 997344 View attachment 997345

Model 7A
View attachment 997347 View attachment 997348 View attachment 997349 View attachment 997350 View attachment 997351
What are those things on the HR-7A? Might be reflections?

upload_2019-7-8_22-42-18.png

Thank you for the input. Is the version 3 file available where the spine is left on the blade. And thank you for all the work you have done to make information available about these beautiful razors.
I have modified the version 3 file to have a larger space for the spine. That might or might not fix the issues I've had.
I should have a bunch of them with me next week (I was quoted the same price for 10 that they wanted a for a single one).
It's only $20 per version (my spell checker insists it should read perversion), but this should better be it. :)
By now it would be much cheaper to have my wedge blades honed.

I have modified the version 3 file to have a larger space for the spine. That might or might not fix the issues I've had.
I should have a bunch of them with me next week (I was quoted the same price for 10 that they wanted a for a single one).
It's only $20 per version (my spell checker insists it should read perversion), but this should better be it. :)

Any more versions and you might as well buy a 3d printer.

Any more versions and you might as well buy a 3d printer.
The lady of the house would not be pleased.
Honey, the microwave will have to go. I need the space for a 3D printer.
Either the microwave or the television.
No. I can't see that happen.

The lady of the house would not be pleased.
Honey, the microwave will have to go. I need the space for a 3D printer.
Either the microwave or the television.
No. I can't see that happen.

Just get one of the 3d printers that can print food then you don't need the microwave.:001_302:

Flintstone65

What are those things on the HR-7A? Might be reflections?

View attachment 997468
Hmmm, good question -- my gut reaction is reflections and/or some plating loss. I'll give it a close-up look to make sure I didn't miss something, like a blade stop on the rake/teeth. I'm away from my den at the moment, but I'll definitely take a closer look.

Flintstone65

I know what you mean. I've fantasized about a 3D printer of late, but I'm nearly certain that one will not be in my future until the price drops considerably. I am curious to hear how the new version works for you, the ones I have are a bit too thick to fit in my no-blade-clip lather catchers.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....beautiful razors. Thanks for sharing them with the Association. :)

Thanks again. After I posted the multi razor shave here I thought about it. Are you trying to keep this purely Lather catcher razors?, or is it ok to post shaves like this as long as they include a lather catcher.
I completely understand if this thread is meant for purely lather catcher razors.

Flintstone65

Thanks again. After I posted the multi razor shave here I thought about it. Are you trying to keep this purely Lather catcher razors?, or is it ok to post shaves like this as long as they include a lather catcher.
I completely understand if this thread is meant for purely lather catcher razors.
My feeling is as long is a Lather Catcher is involved -- whether it's a solo or part of an ensemble -- I think folks will want to see the shave -- I know I do!!!

My feeling is as long is a Lather Catcher is involved -- whether it's a solo or part of an ensemble -- I think folks will want to see the shave -- I know I do!!!

Good deal. I'm great at thinking of things after the fact, I'm glad I wasn't derailing the thread.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Started this Sunday with a great shave with one of my favorite lather catchers my STAR bar 1919 No4 and like always gave me a CCS,DFS,BbS.
Razor: Kampfe Brothers 1919 Star bar lather catcher
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Brush : Razorock Plissoft
Pre shave: Wet the face with a warm wash cloth X 2 for 40 seconds+ Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock Blue Barber + Nivea balm
Results: excellent shave
sunday-shave-july-14-2019-2-jpg.998969

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Started this Sunday with a great shave with one of my favorite lather catchers my STAR bar 1919 No4 and like always gave me a CCS,DFS,BbS.
Razor: Kampfe Brothers 1919 Star bar lather catcher
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Brush : Razorock Plissoft
Pre shave: Wet the face with a warm wash cloth X 2 for 40 seconds+ Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Razorock Blue Barber + Nivea balm
Results: excellent shave
sunday-shave-july-14-2019-2-jpg.998969

Have some great shaves!
I really like the look of that razor, and it sounds like a great shaver. Thanks for sharing!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great shave this GEMonday, when you have great gear and reasonable hand technique to knock off a great shave it is not hard and in fact a joy to shave.
Razor: GEM Junior bar 1909:001_wub:
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (3)
Soap: Taylor of old Bond St Sandal wood :001_wub:
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Pre shave : Wet the face + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Nivea refreshing splash + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS
gemonday-july15-2019-2-jpg.999206

For those folks who bought a used GEM without instructions these simple pamphlets should help!

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom