What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is my favorite Lather Catcher in a 1914. I like the small Hex handle.

View attachment 1486800

View attachment 1486803
The Ever-Ready 1914 little lather catcher(AKA LLC) is a great mid range razor and it is also one of my most enjoyable for audio feedback & with excellent shave results. My model has just the knurled handle but it still performs well. I have a 1912 Ever-ready with the hexagon chain link art design with the raised corners and that has a awesome handle grip-ness.
Ever Ready 1912 British made MFG 1936-53.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hey, I recognize that one. I saw the listing for it on eBay when I was looking for lather catchers. I had considered buying it, but the teeth looked a bit too crooked on top of the plating loss.

I can see why it would get passed by but many of my razors are user grade to lower user grade. Fortunately for my budget I actually love the look of some wear and patina. As long as it's still safe to shave with I'll take it.

Hear are some pictures of today's shave after sanitizing.

Hi, I am new to lather catchers and have just bought a Gem Junior Bar from Etsy. I’ll post some pictures below for everyone to see. I’ve been told it is fully functional and the blade stops look good to me. Hope everything works. I’ve have some Gem Junior 1912s.

1. Can I clean it as normal with dish soap and a toothbrush and warm water/hot? Can I dip it in 90% isopropyl alcohol after shaving?

2. Anything else I should do to get it more polished up?

3. Anything else I should know as a new lather catcher owner? Can anyone more precisely date it between 1907-11?

Thank you for your help.

7345F8BA-6D29-49D5-9E69-0B7450095035.jpeg

14BDFC84-CAF4-4C82-9B52-F46E03991AC7.jpeg

E58FB5F6-1C56-4090-9FEE-60CD0395D8F4.jpeg

582DE2D8-715E-47B0-A0F9-72684817F953.jpeg

05ACF933-7197-403F-BEA4-BD73F5D8D221.png

40C80F41-579A-4EF7-B9DA-30FB4A4FA1B3.jpeg

Ron R

As for cleaning you can use dish soap and water with a tooth brush and afterwards use the 90% isopropyl alcohol to use as disinfectant.
The metals used are Brass as main base metal with a Nickel coating on lather catchers (?)on those lather catchers I understand from my limited research. Using Isopropyl will not hurt the razor when just dipped in it and let to dry. Gem did go to Chrome on later models like the 1912 models and Micromatics......

20220902_135557.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star HR-14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B & B Contributor Brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Number Six
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Dang, that's a Fantastic find. Looks like an interesting setup for adjusting. I'd like to see some. Pictures of how that works. Will it take modern Gem blades or wedges only?

I was blown away when I opened the little, well-preserved tin box and found the complete razor, a corroded hand-stropping/honing attachment, the thin paper instruction sheet, and two spare spring/brackets!

I expect it will take a Gem blade with no problem beyond a shim or adapter.

The adjustment guide:
4843F645-31E1-44E9-BC2F-DD66BB24E4A4.jpeg

Safety Adjustable Shoulders (blade stops) and Screws (yellow):
7B059EDA-1C49-4362-85E4-7FB55C64019E.jpeg

Note the owner kept the Double Action Spring Clamp stored untensioned (red).

Automatic Self-Adjustable Spring Clamp from the side. Solid attachment point (red) and captured spring extension (yellow):
F0E70F83-5AAE-4CE2-A3C1-7CCDF7DD110D.jpeg

Safety Adjustable Shoulders (red to blue spring bar) and Screws (yellow) from the side:
DE9D135A-0164-4AA5-8FE0-2B907DABCC47.jpeg

20211010_081342.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1905 Lather Catcher 24 Blade Set
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:

Ron R

Razor: VIC Lather Catcher
Brush: Rudy Vey 2020 B & B Group Buy
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
View attachment 1527149
Looks like a nice one, never heard of that brand before. Thanks for sharing!

First run out for the 'new' Griffon! (see above and on the SE acquisition thread)

I never expected to have a small collection of lather catchers. The Kampfe Star and Ever-Ready handle threads are too narrow for the Griffon, but could do the job in a pinch.
48892EBA-5851-48AD-B3A8-DFE520FAD70E.jpeg

The Griffon is highly audible, as I expected. The blade stops were fully forward, at max aggression, when I found it. Kind of a SEvette was my experience today. Technique provided much of the safety (bloodshed avoidance). I will move the stops back a bit before the next flight of the Griffon.

The two cork spacers under the blade spine served to keep the hinged comb from wobbling away from the blade edge. The blade was held quite firmly in place by the strong retaining spring. Loading a GEM blade was very fiddly, but a well designed adapter should resolve that problem.

I reduced the 4.5 day stubble with an SR. The Griffon SEvette LC then delivered an extremely close shave, in both senses of the phrase. 6 hours post-shave my worst neck maelstrom has yet to start swirling.

It was not very good at edging/detailing, a typical issue for me with lather catchers.

Top Bottom