What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

So…would the razor be a Damaskeene if it comes with a Damaskeene Razor container box, but the razor is just marked Gem?
I would guess that it's a mismatch to the case. The blade tray was different on the Damaskeene either way so a picture would help with ID.

Today’s shave
76EFA4FF-F49C-4579-8653-14A6A6C94EF3.jpeg

20220602_075317.jpg

Razor: VIC Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rudy Vey 2020 B & B Group Buy
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

20220604_080553.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star HR-9A Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B & B Contributor Brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Newport
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

PXL_20220613_152231702-01.jpeg

GEM Junior / GEM Personna SS PTFE
Tabac
Mojo Handcrafts
More Tabac (even more then pictured)

This GEM Junior is unadorned except for "GEM Junior". No "Bar" despite having a bar and the usual tension tab for the blade spine. And no engraved/stamped scrollwork or other decoration.

A question for all you LC masters, do you ever "adjust" the curvature between the handle attachment and the shaving plane to change the angle of the handle when used at the proper steep shaving angle? Currently this little guy wants the end of the handle almost grazing my face when the head is cutting efficiently. Thanks in advance.

We’ll I tried my new Gem and it kicked my booty! It was a close shave with only a couple of passes, but I had multiple cuts and nicks in the chin area. I had to finish very carefully with my Trac II to get around the carnage. I attempted to follow the directions about keeping the head flat against the face, but apparently I was only partially successful. I will need some healing and psyching myself up before I try it again! Maybe a couple of dry runs without a blade?
Disclaimer: I should mention that I am used to milder razors, and usually get cuts with a new blade, even with a Gillette Super Speed. I always have trouble going over the chin. In fact, the worse cut was a reopening of one I got the day before with a trial run of my early post war tech (with older blade).
Sigh..😟
My second foray with a lather catcher was extremely cautious, after the great face massacre a couple of weeks ago. With much fear and trembling I did about 3/4 of my passes before finishing with my Leaf. I’m going to have to work on ATG and XTG, and this point I can’t bring myself to do it. My one cut was an XTG attempt. After finishing I realized there is a century’s difference in ages between these razors!

Attachments​

View attachment 1471681
GEM Junior / GEM Personna SS PTFE
Tabac
Mojo Handcrafts
More Tabac (even more then pictured)

This GEM Junior is unadorned except for "GEM Junior". No "Bar" despite having a bar and the usual tension tab for the blade spine. And no engraved/stamped scrollwork or other decoration.

A question for all you LC masters, do you ever "adjust" the curvature between the handle attachment and the shaving plane to change the angle of the handle when used at the proper steep shaving angle? Currently this little guy wants the end of the handle almost grazing my face when the head is cutting efficiently. Thanks in advance.

I have slightly tweaked several razors but it is tricky. If you bend the wrong part of the head it mess it up completely.

My second foray with a lather catcher was extremely cautious, after the great face massacre a couple of weeks ago. With much fear and trembling I did about 3/4 of my passes before finishing with my Leaf. I’m going to have to work on ATG and XTG, and this point I can’t bring myself to do it. My one cut was an XTG attempt. After finishing I realized there is a century’s difference in ages between these razors!

Attachments​

I got my first (functional) Gem in the mail yesterday! It is cleaned, polished and ready to go for this afternoon. It came with a nice box, Damaskeene blade box, one vintage Damaskeene blade and four vintage blade wrappers. I would be interested in any information about a possible date. I have seen 1914 and 1921 ads, according to sellers claims, featuring this type of box. For comparison purpose I included a picture of my broken Gem Junior, which I think is ca. 1943 based on the Bakelite handle. Here’s some pictures:

I startled out with a few pictures, they are on the previous page. I’m not sure how to link them here.

If the razors pictured in the above quotes are the ones you are referring to it appears to me to be a Gem squat head and the gold one is a Gem Joiner with slim Bakelite handle. They are great little razors but not Lather Catchers there both part of the Gem 1912 family. To my understanding the Gem Damaskeene open comb was the first of the 1912s. You should check out the Gem Razor Models - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razor-models.554376/ and Micromatic Monday - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/micromatic-monday.547970/. These are two great threads for those razors and the whole Gem family of razors.

If the razors pictured in the above quotes are the ones you are referring to it appears to me to be a Gem squat head and the gold one is a Gem Joiner with slim Bakelite handle. They are great little razors but not Lather Catchers there both part of the Gem 1912 family. To my understanding the Gem Damaskeene open comb was the first of the 1912s. You should check out the Gem Razor Models - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razor-models.554376/ and Micromatic Monday - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/micromatic-monday.547970/. These are two great threads for those razors and the whole Gem family of razors.
Thanks for the info. I had the mistaken impression that “lather catcher” was just a generic term for any razor with the large scoop front, like the Gem 1912/Junior series, and many of Ever-Ready and Star razors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I had the mistaken impression that “lather catcher” was just a generic term for any razor with the large scoop front, like the Gem 1912/Junior series, and many of Ever-Ready and Star razors.
No problem! Read post #1 of this thread for more information. In my opinion the distinction is somewhat arbitrary and thus the confusion. You do have draw the line somewhere.

Had pretty much given up on finding an affordable (to me) lather catcher, but just lucked into winning this Ever-Ready (hyphenated, single quote logo). Almost all of the plating is gone, and there's a tiny chip on the handle. But I'm in this hobby for the history just as much as the shaves, so I'm thrilled!

1655486495134.png

1655487181907.png

1655486550593.png

Of course I had to clean it and it shave right away, and it is quite nice to use! My blade was on it's last shave (10th use) and the (new-to-me) featherlight weight was very different, so I took it really easy on the upper lip and trouble spots. Looking at this first photo, the comb may be a tad out of alignment on the left corner, but didn't affect the lovely shave.

1655486454412.png

1655486617921.png

Doesn't beat out my GEM 1912 for overall favorite to use so far, but that could change ;)
It's now my oldest razor, along with a Gillette 1910 dated ABC "Shell" pattern razor.

1655486901371.png

Quick questions for the Brotherhood:
  1. Seems like the black paint can come off the wood handle (if wiped with a towel when wet for example). Do y'all put some wax on the handle, or just attach a different GEM style handle for frequent use?
  2. If I understand from research, the right case would either have the logo in a shield pattern or the logo in a diagonal "banner", is that correct? Or were there many different cases from 1904-1911? May I see a photo of one if anyone has it handy, please?
1655487479709.png

1655487660633.png

I also see this online:
1655487617298.png

Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post, LOL! Cheers!:a8:

Last edited:
Had pretty much given up on finding an affordable (to me) lather catcher, but just lucked into winning this Ever-Ready (hyphenated, single quote logo). Almost all of the plating is gone, and there's a tiny chip on the handle. But I'm in this hobby for the history just as much as the shaves, so I'm thrilled!

View attachment 1473785
View attachment 1473797

View attachment 1473786

Of course I had to clean it and it shave right away, and it is quite nice to use! My blade was on it's last shave (10th use) and the (new-to-me) featherlight weight was very different, so I took it really easy on the upper lip and trouble spots. Looking at this first photo, the comb may be a tad out of alignment on the left corner, but didn't affect the lovely shave.

View attachment 1473784
View attachment 1473788

Doesn't beat out my GEM 1912 for overall favorite to use so far, but that could change ;)
It's now my oldest razor, along with a Gillette 1910 dated ABC "Shell" pattern razor.

View attachment 1473794

1. Seems like the black paint can come off the wood handle (if wiped with a towel when wet for example). Do y'all put some wax on the handle, or just attach a different GEM style handle for frequent use?
  2. If I understand from research, the right case would either have the logo in a shield pattern or the logo in a diagonal "banner", is that correct? Or were there many different cases from 1904-1911? May I see a photo of one if anyone has it handy, please?
View attachment 1473799
View attachment 1473802
I also see this online:
View attachment 1473801
Most of mine have metal handles and the one that has a wooden handle has been repainted. Are you sure that's paint coming off and not hundred year old grime? I saw that listing and I'm glad to see it went to someone who appreciates it.

View attachment 1473785
View attachment 1473797

View attachment 1473786

View attachment 1473784
View attachment 1473788

View attachment 1473794

View attachment 1473799
View attachment 1473802
I also see this online:
View attachment 1473801
The blade stops look really good in that,especially considering the plating is almost completely gone. I think it's absolutely beautiful. I love raw brass with some patina. Congratulations on the find. My wooden handle from a Gem Jr Bar almost never gets used. I made a different handle for it and have metal handles for most the rest of my Lather catchers.

Thanks, Gents. The wooden handle definitely had some grime, but that ring of missing black paint on the top of the handle may have come off after I gently cleaned with dish soap and wiped with a cloth. You'd think a wetshaver would know to pat dry, LOL :rolleyes:

Read a bunch of the previous pages in this thread, and learned the 8-32 threaded Damaskeene handle - which has some nice weight - fits nicely. Will be fun to try that on the next shave. Conversely, the LC handle doesn't want to fully thread into the Damaskeene (nor did I force it, LOL).
Also loved reading about the .30 cal cartridge handles that were going around a couple years ago. Very cool!
I learn something new every day at B&B for sure.
Now back to researching the LC cases :detective:

1655571297672.png

Thanks again, I have revisited this, and found some dates. According to the ASR chart posted elsewhere, the Squat Head was introduced in 1925. The Gem Junior with Slim Bakelite Handle was produced in 1943. While looking at them I noticed something else: the head angle is also different. The Junior has a much steeper angle than the Squat Head. Any thoughts on why this difference? I would assume that the Junior is following a well established design, and that the Squat Head is the innovator. But since I don’t have anything to compare to, this is only my hunch.

Attachments

• BAE24BE4-D956-4896-9F19-17F27750D65F.jpeg
    BAE24BE4-D956-4896-9F19-17F27750D65F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
My third shave with my Gem (1912) Squat Head. This time it went much better! I was able to shave about 95% of my face (last time it was (75%), and I didn’t feel like I needed to finish with another razor. I am still a little apprehensive about the jawline area, I am not used to that big razor head. I had two scrapes/weepers, but nothing that doesn’t sometimes happen with a new blade in a razor I am familiar with.

Thanks again, I have revisited this, and found some dates. According to the ASR chart posted elsewhere, the Squat Head was introduced in 1925. The Gem Junior with Slim Bakelite Handle was produced in 1943. While looking at them I noticed something else: the head angle is also different. The Junior has a much steeper angle than the Squat Head. Any thoughts on why this difference? I would assume that the Junior is following a well established design, and that the Squat Head is the innovator. But since I don’t have anything to compare to, this is only my hunch.

My third shave with my Gem (1912) Squat Head. This time it went much better! I was able to shave about 95% of my face (last time it was (75%), and I didn’t feel like I needed to finish with another razor. I am still a little apprehensive about the jawline area, I am not used to that big razor head. I had two scrapes/weepers, but nothing that doesn’t sometimes happen with a new blade in a razor I am familiar with.

This is only a guess but the 2 squat head razors I have came in a very small travel case. The different head geometry could have been designed to fit better in these cases.

IMG_25062021_103151_(797_x_890_pixel).jpg

Also glad to hear you are getting better results with the shaves.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Read a bunch of the previous pages in this thread, and learned the 8-32 threaded Damaskeene handle - which has some nice weight - fits nicely. Will be fun to try that on the next shave. Conversely, the LC handle doesn't want to fully thread into the Damaskeene (nor did I force it, LOL).

Gotta love those obsolete threads. I've tried several things and the main options boil down to:

1. Get used to using the original handle. Personally I don't like tinky little handles so I crossed that one off my list.
2. Find a vintage handle with compatible threads, which I believe are 8-24 (since 8-32 is much finer and also still available).
3. Find some adaptor from 8-24 male to 10-32 male. One end screws into the razor, the other into just about any modern handle. This is my favourite option.
4. Make a new handle in wood or metal, and thread it 6-32 female. A short 6-32 flathead countersink screw will fit down through the threaded hole in the head and can then be threaded into the handle and snugged up. I've done this but my shop skills are quite rusty. Plus no power tools. But I got some workable handles that way.

Somebody was making adaptors, and I was lucky to get a few. They look like standard 10-32 brass allthread that has been chucked into a screw-cutting lathe set to 8-24. I've piffed most of them off and now have just a couple that I keep for my own razors.

If you read back a ways to earlier days on B&B you'll see that some members rethreaded the hole to match current usage, which I suppose is a choice but I tend not to like irreversibly modifying vintage gear.

O.H.

Top Bottom