What's new

The Amazing Aristocrat: My holy Grail!

So I finally got the aristocrat I bought off the 'bay cleaned up. Took some pics and posted them here: Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

After all that work I decided it was time to finally shave with the thing (Bought it months ago!)

I purchased the razor because I read that it is hands-down THE best-shaving razor Gillette ever made. What follows is my opinion, YMMV.

proxy.php

What appears to be a bottle of Prorasso aftershave is actually Pinaud Clubman decanted into the Prorasso Green bottle.

Believe the hype! This is by far the best razor holder I have ever used. I achieved my closest, most comfortable shave ever, period. This razor gets everything right for me. I believe the quality of the shave can be attributed to the following factors.

Audible feedback. The aristocrat is very vocal. If the blade is cutting you can practically hear it in the next room. This feedback makes it easy to tell of you're making good contact with your skin and that the angle is right.

The head shape makes holding the razor at the correct angle almost automatic. I never had a problem with the angle; it was perfect every dang time. This ease was enhanced by the next attribute:

Blade gap/exposure. The blade gap was perfect, even for my four-day stubble. It allowed for efficient removal with ease. The blade exposure resulted in a lot of blade feel, in a good way. Along with the audio feedback, the feel of the blade doubly reassured you of good contact and efficient cutting angle. The blade feel reminded you very quickly - and without mangling your mug - if you started to apply too much pressure. This helped with efficiency as well, as bearing down reduces the ability of the blade to cut the hair effectively.

Balance and weight. The razor is fairly heavy, like my Fatboy, and has a fat and hefty handle. This balances well with the slightly less bulky head (also vs. the Fatboy) of the razor. The overall balance allows the razor to rest squarely against your face without applying any additional pressure to maintain consistent contact. I shaved the whole time gripping the razor with only my thumb and two fingers gingerly, merely guiding the path of the blade across my face.

I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin - especially on my neck - and any pressure there inevitably results in razor burn. I was able to do the customary three passes with ZERO irritation; my Clubman aftershave confirmed it. My neck was closer than I've ever gotten it, irritation free or otherwise.

In summary, I'd like to say that this razor is the pinnacle of razor design (IMHO). There are many discussions out there about what the best beginner DE razor is. The Aristocrat gets my vote, no question. You can get one for about $20-$25 on eBay and they outperform any razor I've ever tried by a good margin.

Congrats on finding your Grail. I found mine a couple months ago on accident. It is awesome when it happens. Nice review you have me interested.

I have a UK and US Aristocrat and can echo your comments. They are well made, look great, and shave great.

full

I agree. My British Aristocrat was a bit of a splurge but will save me money in the long run because I have no interest in other razors anymore.

:thumbup:

The US Aristocrat, 46/47 or 48-50, are my favorites. I tend to use the 48-50 more though, hard to tell apart, but it has a slight increase in blade gap and has the same feel. Both are excellent ATG razors.

Congrats...

I agree with you guys the aristocrat is by far my favorite vintage Gillette razor....including fatboy and slim. I first purchased an aristocrat 46-47 and immediately began my journey to obtain: ARISTOCRAT, DIPLOMAT and PRESIDENT models. I'm proud to say that I have beautiful samples of all 3. Monday I will receive my PRESIDENT back from Razor Emporium with new Rhodium replating.

Congrats! I have a pristine 1948 Aristocrat I bought 6 month or so ago and use it nearly every day. Couldn't agree more that it's the Holy Grail of DE razors. No mention of any bidding sites, but mine cost $70 in near mint condition. Worth every penny:001_cool:. I agree with OP above that it will more than likely cost above $25 and up depending on condition & year.
Here's a pic of my find:
Aristocrat 1948.jpg

Mikey

Congrats on achieving your goal. I have a 46-47 Aristocrat myself and feel the same. It's a great razor... currently trying to chase down a 36 Aristocrat (OC TTO) but those are harder to come by for a reasonable price considering I'd have to sink another $140+ in restoring it. One day...

Hi,

The problem with just saying Aristocrat, is there were at least a dozen different ones from the Old Type to the Slim Adjustable. The photos only narrow it down just a little bit for me. I can see it isn't an Old Type, nor an Adjustable, and a Safety Bar variant. But, I can't tell just which series nor if it is a US or a British.

There are just too danged many versions of razors using the Aristocrat name!

The only version I happen to have is a 1934 Open Comb TTO, and it is pretty much the least effective razor I have. Pretty, though, and will come out to play a little during OCtober.

You should have seen the gyrations I went thru trying to figure out how to tell a 34 from a 36. I wanted to try the very first TTO Gillette, so that was important. For those that want to know, the 34 has hinge pins and the 36 has rivets.....there is a lower head on the 34, but that is hard to see in photos. The hinge pins show right up, though.

Stan

Top Bottom