What's new

The Amazing Aristocrat: My holy Grail!

President also..

proxy.php
Very, very nice. I need a really nice president

Trying it with a Derby Extra for tomorrow's shave.

It will definitely bring out the best of the Derby. Unfortunately, it's still a Derby. I don't think I've used a Derby in the Crat though. In the NEW SC it gave me the itchy face, started about 4 hours after my shave and lasted about an hour or so.

Looking forward to your review!

:a21:

Very nice. I've always wanted a British aristocrat with barber pole

I think the only improvement one could do to one of these would be to make the barber pole knurling red, white and blue! I guess that would be appropriate on the American made Aristocrats only...

I think the only improvement one could do to one of these would be to make the barber pole knurling red, white and blue! I guess that would be appropriate on the American made Aristocrats only...
Just give me a Factory Rhodium plated British aristocrat and I'm happy.

Just give me a Factory Rhodium plated British aristocrat and I'm happy.

What about this US Executive?

proxy.php

Should shave exactly the same as the 48-50 Aristocrat.

The British 3rd gen Aristocrat Junior with the solid baseplate, same as the #16, shaves the same as the US 48-50 Aristocrat. Not sure about the later British Aristocrat though, they have the stamped baseplate, I believe the specs are slightly different.

What about this US Executive?

proxy.php

Should shave exactly the same as the 48-50 Aristocrat.

The British 3rd gen Aristocrat Junior with the solid baseplate, same as the #16, shaves the same as the US 48-50 Aristocrat. Not sure about the later British Aristocrat though, they have the stamped baseplate, I believe the specs are slightly different.
I'll take Two, Sir. Please and Thank You!

It will definitely bring out the best of the Derby. Unfortunately, it's still a Derby. I don't think I've used a Derby in the Crat though. In the NEW SC it gave me the itchy face, started about 4 hours after my shave and lasted about an hour or so.

Looking forward to your review!

:a21:

Yes, it did bring out the best in the Derby! You were exactly right. The last time I used a Derby Extra it was "okay" (can't remember the razor but I want to remember it was a Merkur Progress) but nothing to write home about. In that earlier test it actually felt a little tuggy, and made me decide to switch to a different blade the following day.

Fast forward to this morning, using the exact setup here:

proxy.php

Another Derby Extra from the same tuck only this time in the late 40's 'Crat. Night and day difference. The Derby didn't feel tuggy at all. In fact it was efficient while remaining very easy and forgiving. A completely flawless and error free two-pass shave...N/S followed by ATG on cheeks and neck.

I enjoyed this shave so much it's going to be my setup for tomorrow too.

Like you said, these NDC TTO Gillette's rock!!

Yes, it did bring out the best in the Derby! You were exactly right. The last time I used a Derby Extra it was "okay" (can't remember the razor but I want to remember it was a Merkur Progress) but nothing to write home about. In that earlier test it actually felt a little tuggy, and made me decide to switch to a different blade the following day.

Fast forward to this morning, using the exact setup here:

proxy.php

Another Derby Extra from the same tuck only this time in the late 40's 'Crat. Night and day difference. The Derby didn't feel tuggy at all. In fact it was efficient while remaining very easy and forgiving. A completely flawless and error free two-pass shave...N/S followed by ATG on cheeks and neck.

I enjoyed this shave so much it's going to be my setup for tomorrow too.

Like you said, these NDC TTO Gillette's rock!!

If you take a Polsilver SI or other top blade and flip the blade over everyday in the Aristocrat for 30 shaves, it will still be 10 times better than a fresh Derby!

I just threw a fresh Personna Red into my 46/47 Aristocrat this morning for a 2 pass shave, and... wow! I haven't used my 'crat in about 2-3 months because I was working through other razors in my rotation, or participating in Fatboy February. But this was easily one of the best shaves, if not the best shave, I've had in a while. I was in a bit of a hurry, too, and there was no sting from my aftershave. It will only get better over the next few days - the PR blades are best for me on the 2nd through the 4th or 5th shave.

I hate the thought of losing any of my vintage razors, but if I had to get rid of them all and just keep one, it would have to be the Aristocrat. My Toggle is probably the coolest looking/operating razor I have, and my New Improved Tuckaway is probably the best looking razor I have, but my Aristocrat is the best shaving razor I have. They're all excellent, but there's always one that's best. I guess next would be my SuperSpeeds and then the Slim I just got.

Top Bottom